October Caddis

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

Booman2
Bamboo Fanatic

October Caddis

Post by Booman2 »

It's that time again. My favorite dicosmoecus pattern is the Shakey Bealy, and it would be nice for fishers here that are better tiers than I am to show a few examples of that old (and very good) fly. The fly is interesting, as is the story behind the name. I plan to carry a few to a central Washington river next week while fishing a Leonard M-65 in the cold and possible snow. Thanks in advance.

Silver Doctor
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: October Caddis

Post by Silver Doctor »

Don't know if I am a better tier as it is subjective but this is my version of the Shaky.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

I like it. Share the recipe?

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

Video from the originators, Blue Ribbon Flies:

https://www.blueribbonflies.com/how-to/ ... ey-beeley/

GetnThere
Guide

Post by GetnThere »

Nice it looks like a wet fly I ty. I use green sparkle instead of red. I like the flash, going to add it to some of my wet flies. Thanks for the pic.

joaniebo
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by joaniebo »

I did these awhile back.

mcflyfish
Guide

Post by mcflyfish »

Folks...just a couple more from my box...the larger one on the 1197G is for fall steelhead from a time long ago when I lived where I could access the Trinity/Klamath.

The other two I have fished on the Madison in late fall....this is where some nice gentlemen let me see his fly box and I learned about the fly and its origins.

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”