medalist vs beaudex

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

Parsnip

medalist vs beaudex

Post by Parsnip »

Hi all,

I'm considering getting a reel to match to my grandfather's old Phillipson Dry Fly Special (8 1/2' 5.5 oz HDH).

Thinking under $60. I'll be using it for trout and smallmouth (and sometimes carp) still and moving water.

Priorities:
- Good weight to balance the rod. I've tried some other reels to feel out balance, and it seems to me the rod wants a finished rate of 8-9 ounces.
- fun to use
- not an endless project/maintenance headache
- Looks period on the rod
- LHW is a plus but not a deal breaker
- Prefer larger reels from a diameter standpoint but not wide spools.

Top of the list currently are Young Beaudex 3.5" or Medalist 1495. What should I be looking for? Curious to hear everyone's thoughts.

Thanks for any input!

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: medalist vs beaudex

Post by steeliefool »

I'd go with the Beaudex or if you can find it, one of these if you want a "contracted" spool.

Parsnip

Post by Parsnip »

Interesting! What is a “contracted” spool? And what reel is that. It is handsome.

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

JW YOUNGS "Pridex" with a "narrow" or "contracted" spool as the Brits call it.

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

The early Beaudex is a beautiful reel, but a nice one might be hard to find $60. The later ones are functionally the same but less money. They also have a line guard (If it’s still attached) that is ambidextrous.

Parsnip

Post by Parsnip »

Got it! Contracted=narrow. Ok. So I’m looking for a beaudex or prided 3.5 narrow. Anything else re years/markings/issues to look out for?

And do folks generally agree these are a better real than a 1495?

Also, will these have enough capacity to house a long belly 6 weight line and backing to deal with carp? Or do I need to go a bit bigger?

JoeBolt
Master Guide

Post by JoeBolt »

A narrow or contracted format Beaudex or Pridex may not be your first choice for carp - but they sure are handsome classics.

A paste of an old Bulldog post may help; as will a refresh on Medalist line capacities. Good luck in your search, and let us know what you bring to hand!
bulldog1935 wrote:
04/13/14 07:51
Young never made a 3-3/8" reel.
here are capacities
3-1/2" MW - WF9 or DT6 with 75 yds backing
3-1/2" contracted - WF7 or DT4 with 50 yds backing
3-1/4" - WF6 or DT4 with 30 yds backing
3" - WF4 or DT3 with 20 yds backing

JoeBolt wrote:
04/02/22 17:51
Just in case you're shopping for more Medalists to match your chosen lines... Love to keep this chart bumped and handy. Enjoy!

TytLynz2U2
Sport

Post by TytLynz2U2 »

Great feedback above BTW.
How open are you to buying both - an “ex” and a 1495 - and trying them each out for a while? You should be able to sell the one you least prefer for about what you paid for it; and then you’ll be able to fish that rod for the rest of your life free from any nagging, second thoughts.
“Life is too short to not fish a great fly rod and a great fly reel.”

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Which hand do you reel with, your right or your left?

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

The most fun about these particular fly reels - as was mentioned above - you can have both!
Price points allow for multiples even. Honestly - you could have a 1495 and a 1495 1/2.
And a Beaudex 3 1/4 or a 3 1/2. Maybe even a multiplier :rollin

The foot could give you issues - perhaps both feet as these reels are notorious for being a bit fussy.
Tape is your friend, or a big piece of moleskin under the foot.
Or there is a little product by Scott Grady - https://www.proofflyfishing.com/product ... e-two-pack

I would check myself on a rod with each reel for you - but I do not own that rod.

( be sure to click back to forum )
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

Parsnip

Post by Parsnip »

You all are extraordinary. Thanks for this. I actually like the idea of trying both out and selling one (though I never will actually sell it, unless I truly don't like it!).

I am mainly a saltwater fly fisher, so when I look at those backing charts, I am a little nervous! Is a 4" beaudex much too large for an 8.5' DFS?

Also, am I reading correctly that in general, per reel size, the medalist has a lot more room?

TytLynz2U2
Sport

Post by TytLynz2U2 »

1495 vs 3-1/2” exes:
- 13/16” vs 9/16” spool widths
- not sure re spool diameters - pretty similar I think. (frame diameters are 3-5/8” vs 3-1/2”)
“Life is too short to not fish a great fly rod and a great fly reel.”

flyfishermann1955
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishermann1955 »

I use a 3 1/2 inch MW Beaudex with a DT-6 line on my Dry Fly Special. It will give you the reel weight you want. Not hard to find in LHW, but a really nice reel will probably cost you about $100.

Tight Lines- Ken

Parsnip

Post by Parsnip »

This is all such great feedback/advice. Thanks. Thanks especially Ken, as it is apples to apples. Much appreciated.

J

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Considering your budget, I would suggest the Pflueger 1494. Less expensive, good line and backing capacity. I have some really nice reels, but I also have two Pfluegers that I have held onto. They're great reels that can take abuse. So, are the Beaudex, but they don't hold near as much line or backing for their size (unless you get the wider spool version and they're not as easy to find and definitely not in your price range).

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

You have to be careful with 4" Youngs. They often have have a reel foot that is too large for modern reel seats. I've had couple large Youngs. I was able to replace one foot with a pfoote, but the other was riveted and couldn't be replaced.

Barry

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Or the Orvis Madison to further confuse things!
It's a wolf in sheeps clothing - with a better drag knob!

" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

Parsnip

Post by Parsnip »

Ooh. The orvis Madison looks pretty neat as well. Do you know if It can be flipped to lhw?

Does anyone know the difference between the silver beaudex with the larger porting vs the black w smaller porting. I’m seeing both on the auction site, both listed early 60s, both reversible retrieve.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

The Orvis Madison can be flipped. Look for a model with the plastic 8 indent vs 4 indent. There is one on that site you mentioned.

Parsnip

Post by Parsnip »

Is the Madison a lot lighter than the beaudex? Wondering if it will balance the rod.

Return to “Classic Reels”