Why I switched "wallets" - comments?

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

George

Why I switched "wallets" - comments?

Post by George »

Hello, I started fly fishing at the end of July 2022, although I've been an angler since I was a young boy. My first reaction was to buy a modern fly case (pictured below) because this brand seemed to be "The Brand" for many fly fishing equipment. I am not bashing any brands - please do not misunderstand.

However, I've personally found as a first-timer, this "foam" wallet is no match for a real wallet, constructed of leather and wool felt (as pictured). It is the same size, but almost miraculously the wallet is only half full! And, the foam wallet - only a few months old - seems to be breaking down already (see photograph).

I get the idea that some tackle will be flattened by this leather wallet.

For a guy like me - fishing nearly his entire life - why would I choose a foam case over a more vintage tool - a leather fly wallet, which also has the side benefit of feeling good on the hands like it belongs in nature?

Please and thank you!

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Re: Why I switched "wallets" - comments?

Post by ozarkwater »

Well...there are a lot of reasons for me going "retro". Cane as opposed to say graphite. Which the later does have its place for sure.

I figure that if I can fish the way the those whom fished before I was born - then I have really accomplished something. If it worked for them and they were able to "fish", why not me?

Then again...I do not own a smart phone ;)

Family legends and myths have it that my grandfather hung out with Zane Grey out west. Maybe. Talked with his son some and he had no answers.
I will stick with the legend.

What would I give to have a vintage set of gear in the NM or CA mountains in the late 1890s?

My vote is for the leather and sheepskin instead of the poly.

Good move George.

redietz
Master Guide

Post by redietz »

ozarkwater wrote:
11/03/22 18:54

The problem with sheepskin is that if it gets wet, you need to remove all the flies, or the hooks will rust. As someone who can count on falling in once or twice a year, I've switched away from it.

George

Post by George »

That is an excellent point. I hadn't thought of it because I haven't fallen in yet! Thanks,

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

redietz wrote:
12/01/22 03:47
ozarkwater wrote:
11/03/22 18:54

The problem with sheepskin is that if it gets wet, you need to remove all the flies, or the hooks will rust. As someone who can count on falling in once or twice a year, I've switched away from it.
Agreed. Not only that but every fly gets crushed in them. I never understood the desire to use this type of wallet. Not for me.

Bud
Master Guide

Post by Bud »

I use a leather wallet for the same reason I use vintage reels and fish bamboo. It pleases me. However , these days I primarily fish soft hackles or other wet flies on the swing. I also use one for steelhead flies. For dry flies I use the compartmented boxes. If you get it wet it will need to be dried out before you use it. Also, at the end of the day I open it up and let it air out and rearrange the flies I have jammed in there after a fly change.

George

Post by George »

Beauty! Now we are talking!

wbailey
Guide

Post by wbailey »

This is an old fly wallet owned by a friend in Wales. Russia leather was treated with birch tar oil which made it waterproof and repellant to insects. A more than 200 year old shipwreck was found loaded with Russia leather. The leather was still usable.

http://watchlogic.co.uk/iwc-g-cleverley ... er-leather

Franknrod
Guide

Post by Franknrod »

I like vintage leather wallets, but since I debarb my hooks when I tie each fly, sheepskin does not hold my flies securely. Foam does better but has the problems mentioned above. Dry flies go into compartmented containers. Nymphs go into slim plastic cases with foam glued to the bottom. I have not come up with an good solution for wet flies and streamers.
Frank Payne

wbailey
Guide

Post by wbailey »

There are fly wallets that have felt pages which in some cases are replaceable.

chugbug
Guide

Post by chugbug »

George wrote:
11/03/22 18:24
Hello, I started fly fishing at the end of July 2022, . . . .

However, I've personally found as a first-timer, this "foam" wallet is no match for a real wallet, constructed of leather and wool felt (as pictured). It is the same size, but almost miraculously the wallet is only half full! And, the foam wallet - only a few months old - seems to be breaking down already (see photograph).

. . . .

For a guy like me - fishing nearly his entire life - why would I choose a foam case over a more vintage tool - a leather fly wallet . . .

8o

The picture you posted ... Two things:

The foam insert you've got there is for small flies. The back of the hook goes in those little slots, not the pointy end, especially not the pointy end of a big hook.

:eek

Streamer foam has long, lined slots designed for you to insert the flat spear bottom down into it, hiding the point without it piercing the foam... Here's a pic of streamer foam and another with streamers in it.

Of course, nothing against using a leather fly wallet, nothing at all. Just that the slotted foam if used right (and not only the fancy brand foam) really does work very nicely to neatly and securely hold bunches of flies.

:smokin

George

Post by George »

Thank you! It is highly possible I have misused it. Still have it here and will re-try again, especially if I feel there is a risk of falling in :-)

chugbug
Guide

Post by chugbug »

I did the same with my first slotted foam insert, fwiw. If only all my mistakes could be that small...
🙄

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”