Anniversary of Gary Siemer’s Passing

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Anniversary of Gary Siemer’s Passing

Post by fefferje »

Today is the anniversary of Gary’s passing if anyone wishes to share a memory. Thanks, Jed
Fefferfly

reelsmith
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Anniversary of Gary Siemer’s Passing

Post by reelsmith »

While I can't think of any specific occasion that stands out, I have nothing but fond memories of Gary and miss our chats.

Dean.

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

I never met Gary face to face, but we started corresponding in 2012 and kept up a conversation that of course frequently centered upon the rods of Paul H. Young. Gary often asked for my opinion on PHY tackle before it appeared on his site, but just as often he would share with me photos of something I would never have discovered on my own, like a letter from the 1950s that would answer a puzzling PHY question that had long been perplexing me. Sometimes, out of the blue, Gary would email me pictures of a rare PHY angling artifact. These occasional emails would be titled Random photo :-) and each one would show me some outrageous, extraordinary, one-of-a-kind Paul Young item. Then I would immediately fire back an email whimpering for more info and, more than likely, begging for the item itself. We talked about other things, too, like the camping trip that he took with his son, or the winter week that he spent sunbathing in St. Croix while I was freezing my butt off, digging out from under a huge snowfall in New Bedford, Massachusetts. That morning, all the regional news media were stationed in the local supermarket parking lot, shooting video of the locals observing the quaint New England tradition of stocking up on milk and bread, the blizzard supplies of choice. I had refrained from rubbing shoulders with the crowd and so, thanks to a timely shipment from forum member chestatee, was substituting pinot noir for the milk. "Pinot noir should be an approved milk substitute for coffee, cereal, and hot dishes," concluded Gary as he reached for his sunscreen bottle and reapplied. A couple of my most treasured fly rods came to me through Gary, as well as reels and other items. Always friendly, always fair, and much missed.
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Exchanged a few emails along the years with nothing but good memories
RIP Gary

dder
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by dder »

Sold 2 reels to Garry when he first opened his shop,simple and easy transaction, used the funds to buy a watermaster, think of him kindly everytime i use it. And looking at the pictures of all the stuff on his site. RIP Garry you were for sure one of the good guys. Daryl

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

Gary sold a few of my rods and I bought a few from him. He was the nicest person to deal with on a personal and business level. I think of him all the time. RIP Gary
Dennis

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

He was a very nice fella, met him in Idaho at the Ranch and we had a fishing session on the famous waters there. Gone too soon. Sometimes life just ain't fair.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

I was pleased to have met face-to-face with Gary on at least two occasions in Colorado.

We seemed to have similar interests and outlook and I was looking forward to working with him to liquidate parts of my collection when he, most unfortunately, passed.

He is and will undoubtedly be missed.

Scott Z.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

Just hasn't been the same without his once active website to look at.
Last edited by PT48 on 11/05/22 18:12, edited 1 time in total.

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

PT48 wrote:
11/04/22 19:46
Just hasn't been the same without his website to look at.
Perhaps not everyone knows that Spinoza Fly Rods displays an archive of Gary's wonderful photos. Go to the Spinoza site page titled Bamboo Fly Rods in Stock and select a maker; for example, Paul H. Young. The first rods you see are photographed in the style that Spinoza has adopted. Following those rods are the ones photographed by Gary in his distinctive style. You can even load more images if Gary sold a lot of that maker's rods. Here is Gary's photo of PHY Para 15 #4378, which I provided to Gary for sale with provenance documents plus a book written by the rod's first owner. Enjoy!
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Gary was a fine man and a pleasure to deal with and talk to. I bought many items from him and spent several hours chatting with him at different events, including the Cane Conclave. I still miss him.

ARTHURK
Master Guide

Post by ARTHURK »

Many of my high valued classic rods & reels came from Gary. He would ask me ( and I am sure other collectors too) about the rods, other gear and even books, I focused on and he would shoot me notes about his travels to ‘see yet another large collection’. He was like Santa carrying a bag of classic goodies. My ‘buy’ finger was often too slow or my budget blown & the rod/ reel would be ‘ taken’ before I could decide. Coming to think about it, he was almost conducting a ‘virtual collector’s bid’ while antique-adventuring like ‘Indiana Jones’. I missed the thrill, his fairness, honesty & passion. RIP Gary.

Arthur

tomvt
Guide

Post by tomvt »

I talked to Gary via the phone for reels and had the opportunity to meet him at the 2015 Colorado cane Conclave. I purchased from him a WM 8040 rod that needed some work and he was open to take it to my friends at South Creek to finish off the sale. A great guy and wonderful historian of vintage fly fishing rods/reels. His pictures were the best! -tomVT

RWHoffhines
Master Guide

Post by RWHoffhines »

I found him an absolute pleasure to work with. We never had a chance to meet up. In fact, apart from maybe one phone conversation, our working relationship was all via email. The whole experience of losing him was a tragedy.

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

My last conversation with Gary was towards the end. In his immutable acquiescence to the inevitable he told me he was being called upstairs, for apparently his fishing skills were such that he was being graduated from the class of earth bound duffers he has been hanging out with. He cautioned me that they never tell you when the final exam is, so fish every day like it is. I know he fits right in on the banks with Ronalds, Skues, Hewitt, Jim Payne and the like. Must be some great conversations? Gary lives on with us through these memories. Thanks Jed for letting them well back.

Carl

The Pink Panther
Guide

Post by The Pink Panther »

Gary was just "all around good people." So many times he gave a helping hand at the Colorado Cane Conclaves. If there was a small issue with rods he would bring for us to work on, he would stay while we did the work, and we had great conversations. When my husband died I had to sell several of his rods, including a graphite, here on the Forum. I had barely hit submit and Gary called me to buy them. He even offered more than I had listed; I politely and gratefully declined his kind offer and said that I knew what they were worth. 9 times out of 10, if you called Gary he wasn't there; he was fishing. But you would always get a call back. It was especially nice when he moved just blocks away from where I work; we would see much more of him.
You are missed kind Sir.

In deference to Gary, I believe his wife did all of the photography.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

The photography on Gary’s site was the best I’ve seen on classic fly rods, maybe even better than in the high days of Lang’s catalogs

Browsing through the site was always enjoyable during a coffee break. Surely miss those days…

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

Yes, Gary was one of the good ones. I miss talking to him even more than I miss his exquisite offerings.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

His star will shine forever bright.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

Return to “Forum Announcements”