Phillipson bamboo

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

angry_viking
Sport

Phillipson bamboo

Post by angry_viking »

I’d like to know some of your thoughts on the better Phillipson taper bamboo rods. I have a few Phillipson glass rods and they are very well made and cast nicely. I did manage to pick up an Ed M Hunter trade rod but that’s the only Phillipson bamboo I have.

What are some good models to look for and why? Thanks for your input and knowledge.

bamboo rodley
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Phillipson bamboo

Post by bamboo rodley »

Most of the Phillipson tapers are very nice casting rods. I would stay away from the 7 ft model. The Ed M. Hunter "Approved" taper in the 8.5 ft length is one of my favorite tapers. If you have a Ed Hunter Autograph, that was not made by Phillipson, I don't think. May have been made with Phillipson parts. Probably the most desirable Phillipson taper is the 8 ft taper. They are somewhat hard to come by, and quite expensive.

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

For me? And next time I see one...and the budget is there. A Paragon/Pacemaker etc., in the 8 1/2' 3/2 configuration. Then again my personal favorite rod is an 8 1/2' #5 or 6. Just me, but the Power Pakt full metal reel seats do not do much for me. Neither do the emerald green ones. That, is just a personal preference. Having W&M and Granger in the 8642 configuration...I prefer the Phillipson. Not sure really why. I have micrometer'd them all and there is not a tremendous amount of difference. Although I will swear that there are subtle casting differences between the three brands in the 8642 line up. Any of those three brands are great rods, especially in that category!

There are several extremely knowledgeable Phillipson collectors here that should drop by soon.

nativebrownie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by nativebrownie »

... 7 1/2 foot Phillipsons are superb, especially nonimpregnated rods... yes, the 8' is prized for good reason... many posters here find the 8 1/2 footers at least on even regard with GGs...
There is a copper brown reel seat that can be a looker - had a 7 1/2 top of the line Phillipson with one...

Kenneth
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Kenneth »

The 8-footer, my favorite Phillipson taper, here's a good thread: viewtopic.php?p=910607

Good luck,
Kenneth

sawtelle8
Guide

Post by sawtelle8 »

It's curious that no one has mentioned the elliptical grip versus the round grip? I would think that variations in the grip would have some impact on the performance of these rods, either positive or negative? I own two Phillipson rods (8' Pacemaker & 9' Power Pak't) but both have the round grip, so I have no point of reference. The Pacemaker performs great with a 5wt sylk line on calmer days; and enjoy tossing the Power Pak't with either a 6 or 7 wt depending on conditions.

I recently acquired a Hunter Approved 8 1/2'. It has not been put into the rotation, so I have not formed an opinion on it. However, it has the rounded grip; so, I am still waiting for feedback on that particular aspect.

Sawtelle

archer829
Guide

Post by archer829 »

I’ve got a decent number of Phillipson rods, including 4 with the elliptical handle. Any opinions on round vs. elliptical are going to be very subjective.

I can’t even decide which is best for me….depends on the day.

The elliptical definitely keeps the rod from rotating in your hand while casting, but it may be uncomfortable for those with larger hands because it seems a bit small at times. The round Phillipson handle is very nice but typically not found on the higher grade rods.

bamboo rodley
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bamboo rodley »

I’ve had both grips. I prefer the full wells. The rod listed in the classified right now seems like a great deal. It probably won’t be there long. Wish I had some extra cash right now.

sawtelle8
Guide

Post by sawtelle8 »

Archer,
Appreciate your insight...lots of variables go into a repeatable, successful cast (including the day). I guess I just need to pull the trigger on one of the elliptical grip rods and have faith that Mr. Phillipson knew what he was doing; although, I already know the answer to that question!!

Sawtelle

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

Yes, missed that Phillipson too!

Darn the luck! No funds available at this time or that rod would be...gone.

archer829
Guide

Post by archer829 »

I guess I didn't answer the original question. I've got something like 12 Phillipson rods, and my favorites would be these:

1. 8' Paramount (1947ish) - The 8' length is my favorite taper. The jasper Paramount wrapping is also my favorite. Add to this the fact that the earlier (1947-49) rods that I've had tend to have a reddish tinge to the varnish, and the overall appearance of these wins out. The elliptical handle is fine. Only drawback, at least for some, is the plastic "root beer" reel seat. I like my early Paramount because the metal hardware is not anodized, and the contrasting silver color looks better to me than the later anodized hardware. Not that any of this really affects the rod's fishing ability....

2. 7.5' Powr Pakt - The 7.5' length is my second favorite taper. Biggest downside is that it's a 2-piece rod, so transportation could be an issue. Yellow wrapping is not my favorite but not bad. Round handle is very comfortable. My Powr Pakt also has a root beer reel seat, but with the slightly later anodized metal.

3. 8' Pacemaker (x2) - Both of mine are the earlier wrap color...Granger Special green with yellow tipping. Both have the very comfortable round handle. One has an all-metal, slightly hideous--in my opinion--green anodized reel seat. The other has my all-time favorite Phillipson reel seat with the black plastic insert and non-anodized metal hardware. Best of all worlds in my opinion as far as function and appearance. (Well, maybe the all-metal, all-black Premium reel seat is best...)

All of this is just my opinion, and what is best for you is somewhat dependent on what you're fishing for, where you're fishing, and your casting style.

angry_viking
Sport

Post by angry_viking »

Thanks for all the replies. It's been a great read on a slow day at work. The Ed M Hunter approved I have is in excellent shape and I plan on fishing it this spring. I am not opposed to getting more Phillipson bamboo to go along with the glass I have. I have one rod with the "hammer handle" grip and I really like the ergonomics of it. Which models of bamboo have that, if any?

I mainly fish for trout on smaller sized streams, sometimes with tight casting windows. Would 8' be too much rod? Would something in 7'6 be better suited for the smaller streams?

Thanks again for the responses, I love learning new things and especially like getting more knowledge on Bill Phillipson and his rods.

archer829
Guide

Post by archer829 »

I think with Phillipson rods there are no hard, fast rules, but in general for varnished bamboo rods, Premium and Paramount will have the elliptical grip, and the lower grades will have the rounded grip. Here are some examples of elliptical grips that also demonstrate some of the variations in reel seats:

7.5 and 8.5 Premium

8.0 and 8.5 Paramount

para_adams
Master Guide

Post by para_adams »

I once found a mint 8-1/2' Paramount and it was gorgeous, but it had that darn hammer handle grip which to me was very uncomfortable, so I sold it.

My favorite has been the 8' Pacemaker with a black seat insert. Looked great, cast even better.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the 8-1/2' Dry Fly Special. I eventually sold mine to buy a Carlin hollow built 8-1/2' six weight rod, but before I found the Carlin I never cast a more capable 8-1/2' six weight. It's a very good western rivers rod.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

para_adams wrote:
11/14/22 22:30

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the 8-1/2' Dry Fly Special. I eventually sold mine to buy a Carlin hollow built 8-1/2' six weight rod, but before I found the Carlin I never cast a more capable 8-1/2' six weight. It's a very good western rivers rod.

Indeed it is. And speaking of the Dry Fly Specials, while the later Peerless DFS had round handles, the original Peerless models had the hammer handle.

Heddon20
Guide

Post by Heddon20 »

I have 2 Phillipsons. The 9' Power Pakt which has already been mentioned above, and an 8 1/2' Paragon.

I find the 8 1/2' Paragon to be on a par with the 8 1/2' Grangers. No real discernible difference in casting ability between them.

The 9' Power Pakt is equal to the 9052 granger or the 9' 2 1/2 F Heddon.

My Power Pakt has the reel seat with the black plastic insert and non-anodized metal hardware, while my Paragon has the all metal reel seat.

Phillipsons are fine rods and you cant go wrong with any model you choose.
Brian

imaterp02
Guide

Post by imaterp02 »

Phillipsons are my favorite rods. I currently own three.
The 8’ Pacemaker is perfect for me with a five or four weight line. It does everything I ask of it very well. I wouldn’t take it to the water if I were expecting to fish streamers though. That’s the only thing it doesn’t do well.
My Dry Fly Special 8’6” 3/2 is amazingly powerful and efficient. Great for streamers and dries. Would be good for landlocked salmon I’m sure. I’ve fished it during a bwo hatch and it did great with small flies on 7x.
I had a Pacemaker 9’ 3/2 5 5/8 that I really liked too. Good at everything. I liked nymphing with it.
My all-time favorite is the 8’6” 5 ouncer. Great at everything. Can cast all day and never get tired.
I’ve never tried any Phillipsons shorter than 8’ but the above rods are soooo nice.
Mike

TFHough
Sport

Post by TFHough »

I was finally able to get my hands on the one Phillipson I always wanted, the 7'8" Smuggler. I have been a travel rod (in any material) fan for a long time and this rod may make my plastic ones obsolete. It's still new to me, having only been lawn cast, but I look forward to packing it out on my first opportunity!

angry_viking
Sport

Post by angry_viking »

TFHough, thats a great rod you have there.

Lots of great suggestions. I have been looking around and waiting to find one in my price range. Currently I'm in deep on Phillipson glass rods but I'm also keeping a weather eye open for some his bamboo as well. Really like the idea of a 7.5 premium. I enjoy casting and fishing short rods.

jimaq

Post by jimaq »

bamboo rodley wrote:
11/07/22 19:20
Most of the Phillipson tapers are very nice casting rods. I would stay away from the 7 ft model. The Ed M. Hunter "Approved" taper in the 8.5 ft length is one of my favorite tapers. If you have a Ed Hunter Autograph, that was not made by Phillipson, I don't think. May have been made with Phillipson parts. Probably the most desirable Phillipson taper is the 8 ft taper. They are somewhat hard to come by, and quite expensive.
Absolutely agree, most of them are very nice casting rods. The 7 1/2 foot Phillipsons is the best.
It sounds funny, but my zodiac sign is Pisces. I checked the Pisces compatibility chart and noticed an interesting thing, the best match for me is Cancer.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”