Phillipson bamboo

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

nunc
Guide

Re: Phillipson bamboo

Post by nunc »

Wow … unfortunately, I read about Dr Logik's snake

before I got to teter's hammer handle Peerless

couldn't do the rod justice for looking for more snakes … finally tore myself away and went back to browsing, scrolled past Favorite 8 footer, and thought, "Man, a canebreak rattler that size could knock me

off my feet"

you guys just Gotta stop talking about Snakes !

David4Him
Guide

Post by David4Him »

I'm surprised no one has answered the original question posed at the top of this string.... which Phillipson taper is the best. Answer, according to Phillipson, is that they each are the same taper within any given length. The quality of bamboo and hardware were the difference which accounted for the differences in price. With that said, length is really the differentiator. The 8' Phillipson is superb, and like the Grangers, just seams to go where you want them to when casting. I do really like the 8" Pacemaker I have; though the Dry Fly Special has come of its own once I paired it with a vintage Nylon 6 wt line. Then, of course the 7 1/2' Peerless Impregnated is really quite responsive too. Oh, so many rods and so few days to fish it seems.

Enjoy the journey,
David

Rhillier

Post by Rhillier »

Just acquired a very nice Phillipson 7 1/2’ Peerless Impregnated #5 a few weeks ago to go along with my 8 1/2 ‘ Ed Hunter Approved which are my only bamboo rods to date. I only fished my Peerless once with a DT 5wt line and was immediately impressed how powerful and accurate it cast and appreciate the shorter length when working close in maneuvering around rocks and stream side vegetation. My only issue with the rod is that the no rock reel seat and the stripper guide are a little misaligned but it doesn’t appear to impact casting. I only had my Ed Hunter for about a year and fish it exclusively on the Deschutes River in Central Oregon and it does everything well from throwing dry dropper rigs and big chubbies to elk hair caddis dry flies. I matched it with a Hardy Princess loaded with Cortland Sylk DT 6wt and for me it’s a great all around trout rod for fishing a big western river.

angry_viking
Sport

Post by angry_viking »

I really appreciate the responses. Sounds like the 7 1/2' and 8' rods are the sweet spot. Going to keep an eye out for Peerless I think. I have an Ed M Hunter that I've yet to take out. I'll have to get it out in the spring on some bigger streams locally and see what it can do. It's been fun reading the responses and seeing the pictures of rods. I have the itch to buy a rod and might scratch that itch with a Phillipson bamboo.

What are the 7 1/2 rods rated for line wise? I see Rhilier tried his with a dt 5, any other suggestions or recommendations? Thanks again

Rhillier

Post by Rhillier »

Update. I just tried SA Mastery WF-5 on my Phillipson 7 1/2’ Peerless Impregnated #5 this week casting a dry dropper rig on the Deschutes River. When I had the room I was able to cast 40 feet with little effort and just let the rod do the work. It also cast nicely close in and was even able to land a few nice rainbows. I was also fishing that day with a 9-foot 6wt CTS Affinity graphite I just built. A totally different feel but that Phillipson performed just as well on a big western river and I was not wanting for more distances or power. A great and very attractive trout rod and fun to fish.

liketofish
Guide

Re: Phillipson bamboo guide spacing

Post by liketofish »

A friend inherited a DFS and gave it to me because he knew I fish bamboo. It's 8 1/2 3pc, and the last middle guide and first tip section guide are "quirkely close." I've been told this is normal with Phillipsos. Dat so? Any explanation? See pix.The ruler is metric, sorry about that, but it is bamboo.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

The guide distance is a carryover from Pillipson's time at Granger, which has similar guide spacing. BTW, your ferrules are not fully seated, so the distance will be even less.

liketofish
Guide

Post by liketofish »

I like to eke out another fraction of an inch of length when I'm high-sticking perdigons.

I am kidding. It was a quick put-together, Eagle-Eye :)

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

I have a Phillipson Paramount and an "Ed M Hunter Approved" trade rod, both in the 9' 5 5/8 oz. taper. If there is a better do-it-all 6 wt. I've not found it.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”