Fishing car

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Fishing car

Post by GerardH »

I'm sure this topic comes up from time to time, but my '95 Ford Ranger Supercab has been dropping hints lately that it most likely won't last another 27 years. I factory ordered it with a 4.0 V6, manual transmission, manual locking hubs (yes, I'm old school), limited slip rear differential and slapped a Leer topper on it. We've traveled over 220K together, many western fishing trips, UP cross country ski adventures, and bounced down more logging roads grouse hunting in northern WI & MN than I would ever dare to admit to my bride. Yet, despite 27 Minnesota winters, there's no rust and still looks great for its age. But it's getting difficult finding parts and hard to justify any major repairs for a vehicle of that age.

So, I'm seriously considering a crossover type vehicle since grouse hunting and hauling bird dogs are becoming less of a priority in my life. Fuel economy, some ground clearance, all-wheel drive (if not 4-WD) and dependability are the requisites. Towing is not a big deal but undoubtedly I'll have to hitch up a utility trailer from time to time. Based on my experiences with my friends' Subaru Outbacks and Foresters, those are the front runners right now -- especially since they figured out that head gasket issue several years ago...but since I'm not in a hurry, I'm open to suggestions. I've also looked at RAV4 and CX-5 but I keep coming back to the Subaru models.

So, I would like to ask the fly fishing community here about their preferences and experiences with their dedicated fishing cars. Thank you in advance for your input!
Last edited by GerardH on 11/07/22 20:39, edited 1 time in total.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Fishing car

Post by creakycane »

Years ago had multiple Cherokees and a couple of 4 runners. Now, Still have a 2004 Tacoma with 255K, a 2007 Forester with 225K and 2018 Outback 3.6 6 cyl ( pre turbo with all the safety stuff), 70K—- probably 75% fishing miles on each.
Really use the Tacoma for local work/hauling/fishing in town, the old Subaru a backup/loaner and the 18 Outback for fishing trips to the mountains ( like tomorrow, 230 miles round trip). If you can find a circa 17-19 Outback 3.6, I’d recommend it. Poor on gas but good performer. Much more pleasant to drive than the trucks, if you can get by with it. Not sure about the new Outback turbos.

AlexP
Master Guide

Post by AlexP »

Hi Gerard! I am a Toyota guy, have 4Runners at home for the last 20 years and counting. My 16 year old got my wife's 4Runner and I drive a Tacoma. My wife won the battle a couple months ago and got a Mini Cooper, a decision that will hunt me for a long time... I just wanted to get another 4Runner...

Anyway, since you are asking about a "fishing car" I will agree with you and Creakycane and give a shoutout to Suburu, both Outbacks and Foresters. I don't think you can go wrong. I have multiple friends who drive Suburus and they are all pretty happy with them, they are repeat customers and could easily afford luxury brands.

The car market has been crazy, maybe the demand decrease with the high interest rates for people that buy the cars on credit. That you are not in a hurry will help you.

Tight Lines

Walkfar
Sport

Post by Walkfar »

I’ve been very happy with 4Runners. Bought my first one in 1999 after some disappointing experiences with a Jeep Cherokee and Grand Cherokee. I’m on my 2nd 4Runner now and it’s never let me down.

Dennis

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

I’m a fan of the old Toyota Tundras, back when they were smaller, the size of the Tacomas. I guess if I was shopping new, I’d have to go with the Tacoma—the newer Tundras are just too big for the little mountain 4x4 roads IMO. I put a Four Wheel pop up camper on mine in 2004 when I bought the truck, and its never been off the truck.
200,000+ miles, still going strong.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Btw, reviews on the Mazda CX50 have been impressive. Turbo version is very capable. Depends if you are mostly driving paved and a few graded roads, or if you need something more off-roadworthy…..

VanfromMaine
Guide

Post by VanfromMaine »

A 1928 Ford 2 door sedan, with two tin fish mounted on the radiator.
Name it Buckshot

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

VanfromMaine wrote:
11/08/22 07:12
A 1928 Ford 2 door sedan, with two tin fish mounted on the radiator.
Name it Buckshot
You had me at "hello". My grandfather had a Model A in the '30s, a lot of stories about that car and the northern WI woods. The Judge's Jeep Wagoneer was a neat fishing car, too.

Tacomas were definitely on my short list if I were to stay with a pickup (I do like the utility of them, especially cutting and hauling firewood, hauling construction material etc.), but since its fuel economy is similar to my Ranger's (~22 mpg) and I'd like to do better than that considering my normal fishing trip is about 150 miles round trip. I was eyeing up the new Ford Broncos since I grew up driving a '71 Bronco and drove an '86 Bronco II for 16 years / 327K (dependability aside, that was the perfect fishing car at the time), but I'm not enamored with its fuel economy either.

VanfromMaine
Guide

Post by VanfromMaine »

Mine is a F150

bamboo
Master Guide

Post by bamboo »

I have had 2 Toyota Tacomas from "96" to now. my 2009 is a champ. Both bought new. Solid ,go anywhere you want to. Great trucks.
Mine is a 4 banger 5 speed stick. Great on gas .

bamboo....mike

BGreer
Master Guide

Post by BGreer »

I was in a very similar situation a few years ago and did some research.
I ended up getting a Subaru Outback. I love it for everyday driving, road trips, and as a fishing car. I did look heavily into the Mazda CX-5.
I have the 4 cyl. and it gets good mileage but isnt a good option for towing.

I may be looking at trading cars in the next year or so. If I were doing it now and had my druthers, I would get a Wilderness edition Outback.
It has higher ground clearance, more than capable AWD. (All Subarus have great AWD.....except for the RWD Subaru BRZ)
It has the turbo engine, allowing for 3500 lbs towing.

Other considerations would be the Forester. It has higher ground clearance than a standard Outback. I'd have to look into engine options, though.
The Mazda CX-50 has good ground clearance and has an available turbo engine with 3500 lbs towing
Mazda CX-5 has 7.6 inches ground clearance, Mazda CX-50 has 8.6 inches ground clearance.

Pare down the cars that you are interested in and then go look at them and drive them.
I dislike talking to car salespeople, so I do my research well and I'm not afraid to walk away.

Good luck finding your new fishmobile.

Brian

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

BGreer wrote:
11/08/22 09:57

Other considerations would be the Forester. It has higher ground clearance than a standard Outback. I'd have to look into engine options, though.
I believe the Forester only comes with the flat 4, the Wilderness trim offers a bit higher clearance than the other options and is geared down for better acceleration & towing, but fuel economy drops something like 5 mpg (same engine). The Forester's interior configuration gives you virtually the same cubic feet as the Outback due to it being taller, but you do lose 8" in length and 2" in width of actual dimensions. Something I would have to look at when I take them for test drives.
Last edited by GerardH on 11/08/22 12:32, edited 1 time in total.

ffftroutbum
Master Guide

Post by ffftroutbum »

It’s really not thought about as a fishing car but I love my Honda CRV. Had a Honda Element before that, but traded it in for the CRV as it got better mileage. The dealer gave me way above blue book as the Elements were discontinued and in big demand. I remember that 1st summer I put 12000 miles on my CRV driving to West Yellowstone and the Henry’s Fork. Probably a pretty good choice. My wife got a VW Tiguan several years ago, and that has been a nice car. VW seems to have really picked up their game in terms of reliability.

I looked at the Subaru when I bought the Element, but the weeping head gaskets turned me off and the dealer was not willing to negotiate. Plus there was some other issue with some of them according to posts I read on various forums called steering wheel shimmy. It’s good to hear they got the engine issue addressed.

If I was going to get a new car I would probably buy another CRV or a Tiguan. Both have been nice fishing cars for us. We spend most of our weekends in the summer and fall fishing.

Good luck!

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

My old US friends always say the Japanese cars are the most reliable and low running cost

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

The new and very expensive Ford Ranger deserves a look; a friend raves about his. And I know half dozen Tacoma owners that swear by their rigs. LOL, I'm still partial to my F-150 Supercab with 8' box. Not many rigs will let you drive around with a 14 footer rigged up and INSIDE the truck!
Gary

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

GerardH wrote:
11/07/22 19:58
I'm sure this topic comes up from time to time, but my '95 Ford Ranger Supercab has been dropping hints lately that it most likely won't last another 27 years. I factory ordered it with a 4.0 V6, manual transmission, manual locking hubs (yes, I'm old school), limited slip rear differential and slapped a Leer topper on it. We've traveled over 220K together, many western fishing trips, UP cross country ski adventures, and bounced down more logging roads grouse hunting in northern WI & MN than I would ever dare to admit to my bride. Yet, despite 27 Minnesota winters, there's no rust and still looks great for its age. But it's getting difficult finding parts and hard to justify any major repairs for a vehicle of that age.

So, I'm seriously considering a crossover type vehicle since grouse hunting and hauling bird dogs are becoming less of a priority in my life. Fuel economy, some ground clearance, all-wheel drive (if not 4-WD) and dependability are the requisites. Towing is not a big deal but undoubtedly I'll have to hitch up a utility trailer from time to time. Based on my experiences with my friends' Subaru Outbacks and Foresters, those are the front runners right now -- especially since they figured out that head gasket issue several years ago...but since I'm not in a hurry, I'm open to suggestions. I've also looked at RAV4 and CX-5 but I keep coming back to the Subaru models.

So, I would like to ask the fly fishing community here about their preferences and experiences with their dedicated fishing cars. Thank you in advance for your input!
I had a Ford Ranger I was crazy about. You could fix it with a hammer and a pair of pliers. Really do miss it.

ctwhite
Guide

Post by ctwhite »

Brooks wrote:
11/07/22 23:28
I’m a fan of the old Toyota Tundras, back when they were smaller, the size of the Tacomas. I guess if I was shopping new, I’d have to go with the Tacoma—the newer Tundras are just too big for the little mountain 4x4 roads IMO. I put a Four Wheel pop up camper on mine in 2004 when I bought the truck, and its never been off the truck.
200,000+ miles, still going strong.

I loved my 2003 Tundra. As you say, mostly for its size. But it was no match for the salty northeast coast. In 2013, when I finally traded it towards a new, larger tundra - it was a rusty hulk with +220K miles. I've had a couple a Tundras since (I've come to prefer new vehicles) and now drive a 2020. Yes, it's big, but it's a beast in the woods. I had it up to the axles in mud on a boggy road this Fall and it blew right thru...

Random Casts
Master Guide

Post by Random Casts »

We’re on our third Tacoma 4x4 extended cab long bed with a cap. We used to drag our flats boats from southern Ontario to south Florida each summer. The Tacomas would eat up those high hills with no effort. Also did a cross country to southern Alberta to fish the foot hills for a month. Finding our way to as many blue lines as we could that truck went places were no one should go and got us back.

We also own a Rav 4 that gets better mileage and its fun to drive…but it’s not a truck!

Richard, the Fishn’ Pole 🇵🇱
Random Casts

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

We have a 2019 Suburu Outback and my wife picked it out on her own while I was in hospital. My suggestion had been to look at the Forester but she liked the extra room in the Outback. If I was going to replace my tired old F150 today I think I'd really give serious thought to the new model Forester with the extra clearance. I will tell you that in snow or wet leaves off road it had better traction and handling then my truck with 4WD. Add in the two button seat memory and it is a outright great vehicle, the best we've had so far. The stock boxer engine is no powerhouse but if you let it rev some on freeway ramps it will merge uphill or downhill at highway speeds with no problem. All the extra goodies like car space monitoring, automatic braking in traffic, lane adjustment or warning, trigger controls for radio and phone, it's easy to get used to and like all those things I would have put no initial extra value on.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”