Question for rod makers regarding ferrule sizes

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Question for rod makers regarding ferrule sizes

Post by jeffkn1 »

Do three piece rods of the same length and the same two ferrule sizes, all take the same line weight and perform similarly?
Last edited by jeffkn1 on 11/10/22 10:27, edited 1 time in total.

BGreer
Master Guide

Re: Question for rod makers regarding ferrule sizes

Post by BGreer »

I am going to say 'No' on that.

Brian

Carpenter Bros Rods
Guide

Post by Carpenter Bros Rods »

No they don't. There are several factors that mainly influence this: bamboo is a natural material so its not consistent, hollowing (internal taper) and ferrule usage (what type). There are other factors, but these were the top three that came to my mind.

Cris

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

Once - all at the same time had a Phillipson, Ed. M. Hunter and a W&M all with the same size ferrules, same length and...I could definitely tell the differences!

To me, the Ed. M. had the biggest difference compared to the other two.

Also put up a W&M and a Bill Phillipson Granger of same lengths and ferrules and could tell the difference.

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

ozarkwater wrote:
11/10/22 11:54
Once - all at the same time had a Phillipson, Ed. M. Hunter and a W&M all with the same size ferrules, same length and...I could definitely tell the differences!

To me, the Ed. M. had the biggest difference compared to the other two.

Also put up a W&M and a Bill Phillipson Granger of same lengths and ferrules and could tell the difference.
Did they use different line weights?

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

jeffkn1:

I could use a #5 on the Granger as well as the Phillipson and W & M. Not the Ed.M. as it took a #6. I put a micrometer to the Ed.M. and it had a different taper than the Phillipson Paragon that I had at the time. "Faster". The W&M could handle a #6 as well. The Phillipson...could throw a #6, but never tried any distance with it. The Ed.M. was the fastest and "stoutest" of them all. The Granger Aristocrat which went to a board member here...I never even tried a #6 on it. Did not want to even try.

Mike McGuire
Master Guide

Post by Mike McGuire »

The tapers could be different. The same ferrule sizes constrain the tapers only at the ferrule points. This perhaps limits the possible differences in the tapers, but there still could be line weight difference between them. A difference in feel would be immediately obvious if one of them had a but swell and the other not.
A Selection of my DIY Rodmaking Tools

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

Mike McGuire:

For sure that! I put a micrometer against a: Walton Powell Paradise 8' 3/2 #5. A W&M 8642 Stream & Lake. A Granger Aristocrat 8 1/2'. I have a note pad I keep these measurements on. There was not a big difference in the ferrule measurements nor even the tip top areas. Swelled butts were present on the Ed. M, the Granger, the W&M. Not the Walton Powell.

Anyway, so true, so true!

TClark5201
Sport

Post by TClark5201 »

Short answer, No, all my rods are built three piece. Two tips, and depending on the density of power fibers in a strip, the action and line weight can vary.
Tom C.

BGreer
Master Guide

Post by BGreer »

Here is a decent example:

I pulled two Leonard tapers off of RodDNA. Both are 8ft 3pc tapers with #10 & #15 ferrules.
One is a Leonard 40 Tournament 3wt.
The other is a Leonard 50 DF 5wt.
I've graphed both rods using a 4wt line with 50ft of fly line out.
You can see that the stress in the tip sections differ greatly. These two rods, having the same length and ferrule sizes could cast nothing like each other.
One could argue that the 3wt would possible better suited with a #9 ferrule. Calculating the dimension at 32 inches shows that it would be just over the halfway point between a #9 and #10 ferrule.

I have no idea how accurate these tapers are to real rods, I own neither one. I just pulled them off of RodDNA as an example.

Brian

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”