Rod display idea

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Bill Charles
Master Guide

Rod display idea

Post by Bill Charles »

What do you all think about this as a rod display case idea? The internal width is 17" so I'm thinking I might be able to show three rods in the case.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Rod display idea

Post by Brooks »

I like it. I’ve been working on an idea for displaying rods that is similar: using bamboo laminate wood (maybe flamed). And making several of them paired/matched (have a cabinet maker build them), that would mount to studs on the wall. Billiard felt background.
I would want the case taller than the guitar case, but similar in width.

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

Great idea, and not at all hard to build (I've built a few for folks - even one for a hand-crafted long bow and arrows). We (American Museum of Fly Fishing in the good old days) found that a background of hunter green (usually felt) displayed bamboo best. We liked a maroon/burgundy for reels. Search this forum; lots of discussion about rod displays in the past, even about background colors.
Gary

Bill Charles
Master Guide

Post by Bill Charles »

Thanks for this. Hunter green is an option.

The inside height is 44"

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Hunter green works good with various colors of wood & bamboo
This is a box that is used for displays but could easily be mounted on the wall.

trland
Master Guide

Post by trland »

Here’s a display case we just put up a few days ago in our new shop that is similar to Bill’s original post and uses Hunter Green felt as a backdrop. It’s a trophy case turned on it’s side built by my brother-in-law. 5 rods are hung by string from 10 hooks. Internal dimensions are about 54” x 18”.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”