Today's Reflection

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

tomvt
Guide

Today's Reflection

Post by tomvt »

I woke up remembering the significance of this honored day the same as I have for 53 years. I boarded a bus on November 11, 1969 in Montpelier, VT to go to boot camp. The Vietnam war was still reporting KIA/MIA daily, the war protesters were marching across the street at the State Capital, my bride with tears running down her cheek was waving good bye and I was scared that I would not come home.

I and three other college friends volunteered during our senior year. We knew our low draft numbers wouldn’t avoid the draft and the US Navy Sea-bees fit our technical training. We had experienced a college class mate flunk out of school, enlist in the Marines, visit campus proudly in his bright new uniform and now his name resides on the long black wall in DC. We did not want to end up in the Marines.

Presently two of my college/Sea bees classmates have died of cancer from agent orange chemicals they contacted in Nam. That’s the same ending our dear Forum friend Banjo met too. My Nam experiences did not produce medals only a vision of Saigon airport from a MAC flight taking me state-side. I had just finished my tour building up an Indian Ocean island called Diego Garcia.

My family has fought in every war since the revolution, my Father flew B24s in WWII and I knew it was my duty to serve but wish I hadn’t had to. As I reflect now on my years of service which was just a minor interruption to a fine life my heart goes out to all who didn’t make it home and who have served our Nation. Thank you for being a fellow veteran. -tomVT

sanderson
Guide

Re: Today's Reflection

Post by sanderson »

Thank you, Sir! Your story is one of many that rhyme, but personalizes the sacrifice so many have made for our country. Hats off to all of you.

Drossi
Master Guide

Post by Drossi »

Thank you and all the other veterans here for your service.

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

Tom thanks for your service and we have something in common as my Dad was a B24 Pilot in WWII as well. And you have a PM.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”