Orvis CFO vs. Hardy Marquis?

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

Gravity
Sport

Orvis CFO vs. Hardy Marquis?

Post by Gravity »

I have in mind buying either a Hardy Marquis or Orvis CFO in 2 3/4 or 3 inch diameter to go with a 7ft spit cane rod (2 piece, 3/4wt) I use for small stream work. I would be interested in any opinions as to which of the two reels members of this forum prefer (and why). I'd also welcome any ideas regarding alternatives. Am I right in thinking that both reels can be set up for either right hand or left hand use?

Thanks in advance.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Orvis CFO vs. Hardy Marquis?

Post by ibookje »

A CFO III would be a superb reel for a 7ft rod. The reel can be used anything from a #3-5 line

TytLynz2U2
Sport

Post by TytLynz2U2 »

ibookje wrote:
11/11/22 12:37
A CFO III would be a superb reel for a 7ft rod. The reel can be used anything from a #3-5 line
Was just about to say what ibookje said. I will add that I think the CFO looks classier, more refined.
Have owned both and IMHO both reels are outstanding in every way.
“Life is too short to not fish a great fly rod and a great fly reel.”

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

I've only ever had one reel become unusable because of a fall while fishing. That was a CFO which Orvis was able to bend back into shape for me.

I prefer the full framed Marquis.

Barry

Last edited by GRASSNGLASS on 11/11/22 18:01, edited 1 time in total.

Srock
Sport

Post by Srock »

I own and fish both. Both are excellent fly fishing tools. I tend a bit toward Marquis. I think their outgoing click has a slightly sweeter sound. Also, you might be able to get parts, spools, and so forth easier for a Marquis. In any event, you cannot go wrong here,

Kenneth
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Kenneth »

Here's a previous thread on the subject. Be warned: it will give rise to GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) Image.

viewtopic.php?t=130420

Good luck on your hunt,
Kenneth

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Once again - why just get one of them ?
Just buy each of them.
Take your time.

That way you get to learn and know the differences yourself.
From first hand experience.

Oh the fun you will have testing.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

The newer Marquis are very nice, especially the line guard. Although well made, the CFO is just another black reel.

Bill Charles
Master Guide

Post by Bill Charles »

My first reel was a Marquis #6 bought at the Pall Mall store in 1976. It is still 100%.

LeeB
Master Guide

Post by LeeB »

I've owned and fished both, and for that size rod I now prefer a Hardy Featherweight.
Lee

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

Don't forget the SA System reels as an option to the Marquis.

Gravity
Sport

Post by Gravity »

Well! Thank you all for your feedback.

It seems as though either reel would work well for what I have in mind. Perhaps the most attractive piece of advice is to buy both and spend some time testing my own preference! It really is a case of GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

Thanks again for your help.

Stephen

Mike1227
Sport

Post by Mike1227 »

That's pretty much all I use, Marquis #6 (both Hardy, and Scientific Anglers) which are 3.25", and CFO IIIs, which are 3". I like them both for different reasons. I like the porting on the CFO back side vs the solid back of the Marquis. I like the sound of the Marquis slightly better.
The CFO does come in colors other than black. 😁

Last edited by Mike1227 on 11/13/22 12:00, edited 1 time in total.

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

I have a whole stable of different size Hardy Marquis. I love them for their weight to balance bamboo and their reliability. I always felt, and this was just my opinion, that the Orvis CFOs were pretty but too light for bamboo and not as rugged as the Hardys and in the last few years too expensive.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

I've fished Hardy-made trout reels for over 50 years. In terms of the Lightweights, Marquis and Orvis CFOs, I prefer the Stan Bogdan-designed CFO, no matter the size. My second preference would be the Lightweight series, relegating the Marquis reels to third place.

BTW, the predominant CFO color is dark gray, not black. And several anodizing hues and/or colors have been offered on CFOs over the years.

Scott Z.
Last edited by Flyman615 on 11/18/22 20:29, edited 1 time in total.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Everything became simpler for me when I stopped paying attention to the sizes on the tackle.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

Gravity
Sport

Post by Gravity »

More interesting comments. Thank you all for taking time to respond. I guess I shall just have to try both....!

JabaliHunter
Guide

Post by JabaliHunter »

My preference for a 7’ rod would be a Hardy Featherweight (2 screw line guard), Hardy JLH or Ultralite disc #2/3/4, Orvis (Hardy) CFO 123 (if you can live with the line guard), or Orvis (Hardy) CFO III (without line guard). Yes, I’m picky..
I like the Marquis, but my favourite is the Salmon No 2 without the single screw line guard or the plastic spindle cover…

Strangely, while the Marquis has a reputation for being tough as old boots, the only reel I’ve ever broken was a Marquis (snapped a section off the cage); and also the only reel where I’ve had a drag fail on me when it kicked into free spool (apparently the spools aren’t quite as interchangeable between generations as we are led to believe). But an original silver spool Marquis on a double handed ‘Spey’ rod just looks ‘right’…

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

My first Hardy made reel was the SA System 5, a 3” reel. I preferred the CFO3, but in ‘75, it was out of my reach. I loved that System 5, fished it on Art Weiler’s 27th rod, a Garrison 206 clone. It was a beautiful thing!

Return to “Classic Reels”