Slow to med slow tapers

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

PGPerk
Sport

Slow to med slow tapers

Post by PGPerk »

Hello,
I've only built rods that I consider medium fast to fast action but I plan to build a 7'6" 3-piece rod with a slow to med slow action for a fellow angler.
I have felt some of the rods he likes and they seem to bend all the way down to the handle. His rods remind me of the rod my dad used in the late 40's to early 50's. Would anyone be willing to share their thoughts about which rod tapers I should consider following and where I can find these listed? Thank you for any information provided.
Perk

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Slow to med slow tapers

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

I’m interested in the responses as this is the type of action that I prefer. What weight line are you looking to build?

PGPerk
Sport

Post by PGPerk »

I apologize for not including the line weight. I hope to build either a 3/4 wt. or a 4 wt.
Does this sound like a Payne 197 to anyone?
Perk

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

The Devine Fairy Rod 7633 is a slow rod. The taper for it can be found in the David Ray Taper Library connected to Hexrod.

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

I built a Payne 198 a few months ago but have only lawn cast it. It's very smooth but it might be a 5 weight. The 197 might be the ticket. Of the 5 (yes- FIVE) rods that I've built in the last year, but have yet to fish, I'm most eager to take the 198 out on the river.

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by munsey w »

I 2nd the Divine Fairy. A very old school action and a full flexing rod. I have made this taper many times for people looking for a slow action rod. With a 2 or 3wt line on it, a wonderful rod!

PGPerk
Sport

Post by PGPerk »

Thank you all for your input and information.
Perk

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”