PAYNE 285

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

carl otto
Master Guide

PAYNE 285

Post by carl otto »

I have a "Payne 285", this is what is clearly written on the label. Its one of those labels that shows some deterioration, but this is everything I can discern; (X's are letters not clear or missing)

8 1/2' Fly
XX 2/X XXX
FEET

5 1/8 XXXXX
5(or3)3/4 Fly
OUNCES

No. 285

Anyone have a clue? Is this one of those "one off" Paynes one hears of?

I have been through all my catalogs and searched the various sites. Nothing found to date. Hoping one of our Payne scholars could speak up.

The only 8 1/2' Payne at that weight (5-5 1/4 ounces) I have fund is the Canadian Canoe and a DF Salmon model. There were clearly a Model 105, 205 and 225 in the catalogs I have, but not a Model 285.

Thanks!

Carl

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: PAYNE 285

Post by headwaters »

Carl--

You've probably already seen this, but the Centennial Publications reprint of the Payne catalogs lists -- on page 46 of the 1951 catalog under the category of "Special Rods", and a subcategory of Streamer Fly Rods -- an 8-1/2' 3-piece "Streamer Fly Rod" weighing 5-5/8 to 5-3/4 oz. There are no model numbers listed for any of the rods on the Special Rods page though.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”