Fishing Bamboo in Winter

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

nuchamps5
Sport

Re: Fishing Bamboo in Winter

Post by nuchamps5 »

When I lived in Wisconsin, I fished bamboo throughout the winter season in the Driftless. But I'm also a wimp and don't fish if it's below 25 or 30. Like others have said, I tended towards my impregnated Orvis rods, though I don't have any real science to back up why I did that, other than that it just felt like they could handle it better.

Take good care of your rod, watch the ice build-up, dry them well, and don't force a frozen ferrule apart, and I think you'll be more than fine. If you're really worried, this is a great excuse to get more bamboo rods so you'll have a full compliment to choose from should you break a tip or guide and need to have it repaired. ;)

gaf
Sport

Post by gaf »

A thing to keep in mind when winter fishing is agate stripping guides. I was told by a prominent rod maker you have to be very careful using rods with agate guides in freezing temperatures. Probably it’s best to just use a different rod.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

I tend toward impregnated rods, an Orvis and a W&M WaterSeal. I also have a varnished Kiley rod that I consider an off-season rod, i.e. once dry fly fishing has ended. NO split shot on the leader either. I swing flies.

I generally pick days above 35 degrees and dry to rod off when fishing is done. At home, the rods are set out in the rack for a couple days to ensure everything is dry before they go back in the bag and tube. I do not subject them to below freezing weather or wind chills when guides or the blank can ice up. Seems to be common sense to me.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”