Nice Field find ....

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

Lerouxagain
Sport

Nice Field find ....

Post by Lerouxagain »

Hi, Nice field find of 81 fully dressed Gutt eyed Atlantic Salmon flies unused some with name tags on them . I do have some questions .. ?? How do you recondition them , they have been in tight quarters for a long time and some are a little out of shape and dusty ... . No. Two can some one sell me a proper box to put them to rest in , one of them nice Hardy Japanned boxes . Thanks. Dan

Bill Charles
Master Guide

Re: Nice Field find ....

Post by Bill Charles »

Very nice group!

I have used one of those clothing steamers in the past and it worked fine.

I would try to obtain one of the Salmon Neroda boxes for these.

ted patlen
Master Guide

Post by ted patlen »

VERY CAREFULLY steam them. Old flies usually are dried out. if you wish to recondition it may be prudent to test the steaming with one of the bunch that is NOT in top shape. It would be prudent to check for insect manifestation.

Which box is entirely up to your prerogative .

very nice find

Lerouxagain
Sport

Post by Lerouxagain »

Thanks for the help. I have used the tea kettle in the past .

60InchDV8
Master Guide

Post by 60InchDV8 »

Congrats..That looks like a lovely collection.
I recondition and groom the married wings toppings, horns and tails with a pin while locking the hook in a pair of forceps and steaming the fly over a kettle. A misshapen gut eye can be soaked and softened in a fly damper over night and then straightened by hanging it vertically by the eye with a little weight added to the hook while the gut loop dries.
The full dressed flies that are used or moth nibbled are still affective and I use them for salmon or steelhead with my vintage rods, reels, and silk lines to create a unique angling experience.
A number of salmon fly reservoir cases in wood or japanned black tin were made by Hardy, Farlow, and Malloch. These cases with multiple drawers or lids with hook clips would be ideal as a showcase for your flies.
Regards from the Restigouche....Jim

Lerouxagain
Sport

Post by Lerouxagain »

Thanks. Jim

60InchDV8
Master Guide

Post by 60InchDV8 »

Vintage full dressed salmon flies are definitely one of the finest art forms in our sports heritage and are fascinating to collect, display, and tie. Can you send us some portrait photos of these classics beauties? Do you have an estimate of their age and origins?
Regards ... Jim

Lerouxagain
Sport

Post by Lerouxagain »

Hi Jim, I will take some photo of the large single and double hooked flies. Thanks. Dan

Lerouxagain
Sport

Re: More photos

Post by Lerouxagain »

Hi, Here are some photos of the larger flies , there seems to be a hallmark on one set of them with red heads and tags . I've had some like this before (a whole cigar box full )except that some of them were in celophane packages with strips of paper marked Hardy Bros. They were once owned by John S. Phipps of Grand Cascapedia notoriety , unfortunately I was in my twenties and didn't recognize the significance of them and handed them out to my fishing buddies to be fished with ( dumb ass) . It wasn't until Mr. Carmichael spotted a restigouche fly reel I had with Mr. Phipps initials on it that I knew what slipped through my hands so long ago . If somebody could identify the maker I'm sure all would appreciate it especially me . I love this hobby , it has taken me to some fine places . Thanks. Dan

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Beautiful flies.
There's no way to id who tied them, they appear to be standard salmon fly patterns coming from Europe in the 1900-1930 era (most are gut eyed). The red heads with tags are Silver Doctor or variations of the SD. Many of these have original materials indian crow, toucan etc that would indicate they are pre 1930.

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”