LOUPES

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

dorenac
Master Guide

LOUPES

Post by dorenac »

RECENTLY HAD CATARACTS REMOVED FROM BOTH EYES AND FOR THE MOST PART I AM PLEASEED WITH THE RESULT. SO WHILE AT MY DENTIST TODAY IT OCCURRED TO ME THAT SHE WAS WEARING LOUPES AND IT SEEMED THAT THOSE MIGHT BE USEFUL FOR BOTH ROD BUILDING AND FLYTYING. WHAT IS THE EXPERIENCE OF YOU GUYS WITH LOUPES? ARE THEY COMFORTABLE TO WEAR, DO YOU LIKE THEM BETTER WITH BUILT IN LIGHTS, CAN THEY BE CUSTOMIZED, ETC.? FOR ROD BUILDING AND WRAPPING I'VE DISLIIKED THOSE HEADBAND STYLE MAGNIFIERS HAVING FOUND IT DIFFICULT TO GO FROM NO MAGNIFICATION TO MAGNIFICATION AND BACK AND FORTH. AND WHEN ALL SAID AND DONE THEY JUST DON'T SEEM TO HELP ME MUCH. ANY THOUGHTS ARE APPRECIATED.

Godfroy
Master Guide

Re: LOUPES

Post by Godfroy »

When I was an eye surgeon I used to use loupes from time to time. Most often I used an operating microscope.

Now that I am retired from eye surgery, for two years, and building bamboo rods I use headband magnifiers with built in illumination. I still have two sets of loupes (one with built in illumination) left over from my eye surgery days but I find the headband magnifiers more convenient to use. I would not dream of dressing ferrules or dressing guide feet or wrapping guides or checking the glue lines on my blanks or checking the surface finish without them.

That does not mean that mine is the only way. If you like loupes better by all means use them. The trouble with loupes is that they are quite expensive compared with headband magnifiers, which can mean a waste of money if you don't get on with them. I have always used some sort of magnification for detailed work, even decades ago when I could get by without it.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

I use a couple of different systems for the tiny stuff. Regular readers down to about 16 or so. Double readers for 20-24. Headband magnfiers for even smaller, which I don't do much of anymore with hands not as steady as they used to be.

Loupes have always reminded me of those joke glasses with the eyes on springs we played with as kids.

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

bassman wrote:
11/15/22 17:32
Loupes have always reminded me of those joke glasses with the eyes on springs we played with as kids.
😁 BOING!!!!

JohnMD1022
Master Guide

Post by JohnMD1022 »

I use a Flip Focal for tying.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”