New Leonard 50

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

red 1
Master Guide

New Leonard 50

Post by red 1 »

Just received a new Maxwell Leonard. A lot of posts on the forum on how the tapers changed the feel of the rods when Maxwell took over.
I don’t know about that. This 50 feels and casts like my other 50’s.
I want to be buried with my favorite rod.
I hear the Styx River has Fish.

60InchDV8
Master Guide

Re: New Leonard 50

Post by 60InchDV8 »

Congrats on this lovely acquisition ...Pls. provide us with some pics of your Maxwell 50 DF outfit along with the reel you’re going to pair it with. What line do you prefer using with it? I have an early model 50,pre Maxwell, that I restored. I find a silk DT 4 or 5 wt brings out the nuances and delivery delicacy of this superb DF taper.
Regards from the Restigouche....Jim

Peales
Master Guide

Post by Peales »

Congrats on the Maxwell 50.
I’ve owned/own a number early Leonard’s and Maxwell Leonards. I believe the common consensus regarding Maxwell Leonard’s is true, they generally have faster actions than their earlier counterparts. Maxwell did make a variety of actions in the various models, the Standard, Hunt, Catskill, etc. What model is your 50?

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

Jim,
I likely will fish a Phoenix DT 5 on it. Lawn cast it with a 5 wt sylk line after work for a bit before I had to take care of the chickens and restock the wood rack. Cast nice could tell it was a Leonard.
Wiggled it a bit upstairs in the gear room and it is stiffer than the other Leonard’s et al that I wiggled it against.
Nice casting rod looks good no wear on the guides or reel seat or cork,but it definitely deserves a better reel seat. They dropped the ball with the one on it.
Pictures of the rod, then the competition.

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

Peals it’s a 50-5

PA Limestoner
Master Guide

Post by PA Limestoner »

Very nice looking Maxwell Leonard made just before Tom left the company. That is definitely Tom's writing on the serial numbers. I have a 50M-5 with the large cap and ring and I kind of wished it had the screw lock seat like yours. The larger cap and ring was a tad too large in my opinion. My 49-5 Hunt (also a Maxwell) has the smaller cap and ring and also a smaller grip which I much prefer.

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

PA Limestoner wrote:
11/16/22 09:32
Very nice looking Maxwell Leonard made just before Tom left the company. That is definitely Tom's writing on the serial numbers. I have a 50M-5 with the large cap and ring and I kind of wished it had the screw lock seat like yours. The larger cap and ring was a tad too large in my opinion. My 49-5 Hunt (also a Maxwell) has the smaller cap and ring and also a smaller grip which I much prefer.
Me too.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”