Payne Rod Company Closing???

Question and answers concerning makers and manufacturers of bamboo fly rods.

Moderator: Titelines

2wood
Sport

Payne Rod Company Closing???

Post by 2wood »

Just spoke with Linda Holloman, wife of Dave. He owned E F Payne Rod Company and personally made the rods sold by the company. He purchased the company and the equipment used by Ed Payne in 1995 and was in business in Bend, Oregon until his recent death. Unless someone buys the company and posseses the skills required we may have seen the last Payne Rod produced on Payne equipment. :'( The web site with a lot more info is efpaynerodcompany.com

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Payne Rod Company Closing???

Post by Flyman615 »

So sad to hear both of Dave's passing and the unsure future for the E.F. Payne Rod Company. I have several of Dave's rods and enjoyed talking with him over the years.

I wish Linda and Dave's many friends and customers my sincere condolences.
I certainly hope the Company survives...as it has for over 100 years.

Scott Z.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Once more a piece of bamboo history is gone...
Should these valuable (probably not in a monetary way) tools end up in some museum?

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Very sorry to hear about Dave. I knew him way back from NFLCC meets here in So Cal. I was just discovering the wonders of cane, and he was friendly with me as I peppered him with questions. Rest to him.

para_adams
Master Guide

Post by para_adams »

I had the pleasure of dropping into Dave's Payne workshop in Bend a few years ago and he graciously gave me a 10 minute tour of the workshop. I felt like I was seeing jumbled, wonderful history spread throughout that Bend, OR industrial space. I'm sorry to hear of his passing and do hope someone can keep that legacy going.

RWHoffhines
Master Guide

Post by RWHoffhines »

with no "News and updates" page, I couldn't find any information on this news on the company website.
Or anything about future plans.

Woodlakejag
Master Guide

Post by Woodlakejag »

Would be nice to see the original Payne rod making equipment end up at the Catskills museum.
Facebook - Bamboo Fly Rod Identification and Value
Instagram - vintagebambooflyrods

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

Did Dave Holloman have the original Payne beveler? What other equipment did he have from the original shop? Seems like that stuff was scattered to the four winds long before he bought the company name. I thought Hal Bacon had the beveler?

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

I know just enough to be dangerous, but I thought Dave bought the remaining (Jim) Payne equipment/assets from Hal Bacon in 1995. Unfortunately, I don't know what all that consisted of.

Scott Z.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Just out of interest is it like the workshop Hoagy inherited from Garisson?

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I believe Hoagy bought the Garrison shop from Garrison's widow.

Jay Edwards

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Flyman615 wrote:I know just enough to be dangerous, but I thought Dave bought the remaining (Jim) Payne equipment/assets from Hal Bacon in 1995. Unfortunately, I don't know what all that consisted of.

Scott Z.
So the original Payne equipment was already separated before Holloman bought the name & tools?

TheMontyMan
Global Moderator

Post by TheMontyMan »

So sorry to hear of Dave Holloman's passing.

I met him several times at the Metolius gatherings and others. He was a treasure trove of knowledge and as entertaining as he was knowledgeable.

. . . Rex
The Monty Man

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

ibookje wrote:
11/20/22 08:35
Flyman615 wrote:I know just enough to be dangerous, but I thought Dave bought the remaining (Jim) Payne equipment/assets from Hal Bacon in 1995. Unfortunately, I don't know what all that consisted of.

Scott Z.
So the original Payne equipment was already separated before Holloman bought the name & tools?
I don't think I wrote that. As I indicated, I don't know specifically what equipment Dave acquired and what was sold/divested previously, or know who does.

Scott
Flyman615

flyflkr
Guide

Post by flyflkr »

I had the chance to go through the original Payne shop in Highland Mills in the mid 70's. That whole workshop should have been a museum. What a great place. I hope the equipment in Oregon is well taken care of whatever happens to it. I agree if nothing else it
all should be in the Catskill museum.

wctc1
Master Guide

Post by wctc1 »

Hello All: I've known Dave for a long time. His passing hurt.

Several times I went to Sisters patrolling for Oregon Bamboo. After he got to know me a little, once on a winters day, David spent a whole 3 1/2 hours with me showing me his warehouse and talking technique and history. He also spent considerable time with me later, especially during the Metolius gatherings. His note is short in OregonBoo because he asked me to make it short.

IMPORTANT: Someone else is "out there" with a well documented history of the PRC, but it has never been published. I don't know who that is, but wish he would come forward. David did not want conflicting information on the history of the PRC.

Here's a 5c version of what little I know: The original workshop was turned into a museum in Sisters, Oregon. It was in the grocery mall roughly at the 90 degree intersection in the west building perpendicular to the highway. When the lease was up, an agreement could not be reached. The "stuff," and I do mean "stuff," was put into a warehouse in Sisters. The store end rod shop was opened. Some years later, David moved the operation to Bend.

There were wonderful things in the warehouse: One: An old mill reaching back to Revolutionary War times! And, many things from the old Payne shop that only a rod maker could appreciate, including a variety of belt-driven mills and tools. His raw inventory was, to put it mildly, jaw-dropping astounding. As a mostly one-man shop, he couldn't work through it in a 1k years.

Chet Croco and I were laughing not long ago. David would never tell the great Payne secret to hand applying varnish, but he would say something to this effect: "You don't pour cold syrup on pancakes do you." Once, in his mischievous way, he took me in the back and showed me among other things, the little cone of dried varnish, and the stool he used to sit on, plus the mill he used, and more, much more. Photographs were strictly prohibited, although I have a few of him smiling, which he did often.

Anyway, one of my worst nightmares is the shop will be broken up to some aggressive money grabber. I don't think Linda will let that happen. But, his inventory is valuable, and it will take a lot of $ to just move it after an agreement in made with Linda.

Well, that's enough for now. May David Holloman rest in peace. He was a good man and a great craftsman. Joe Beelart here

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Joe:

Thanks for your reflections on Dave and the PRC. Much appreciated!

Scott Z.
Flyman615

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Thanks, Mr. Beelart!

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I liked knowing that there was a Payne rod shop.

Jay Edwards

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

I wasn’t aware Payne rods were still being made. Does anyone here have any thoughts on the Oregon made Payne rods? How many of them are around, how do they fish, etc…?

Return to “Information About Makers and Manufacturers”