Payne Rod Company Closing???

Question and answers concerning makers and manufacturers of bamboo fly rods.

Moderator: Titelines

canefisher

Re: Payne Rod Company Closing???

Post by canefisher »

I have seen several graphite rods from the Holloman Payne shop that looked like fenwick blanks but never a bamboo rod.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Dave made plenty of bamboo rods along with a line of graphite rods as well. I believe the latter--I have two--were certainly NOT made on Fenwick blanks, however.

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

canefisher

Post by canefisher »

OK…not fenwick blanks then did he roll his own or who did he get them from?

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Well, if you had one of Dave's catalogs, you would know this about his graphite rods--Page 12--"We have our own state-of-the-art blank manufacturing equipment here at our Sisters plant".

Good enough for you?
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

canefisher wrote:
11/30/22 12:17
I have seen several graphite rods from the Holloman Payne shop that looked like fenwick blanks but never a bamboo rod.
There were a number of Holloman Payne bamboo rods in the latest Blanchard's/Lang's auction.

I was a dealer for the "new" Payne rods back in the late 90s when Dave was getting started. I still have a few of his catalogs. The graphite rods were nice, a bit fast for me but beautifully made. They sold pretty well. The bamboo rods were very nice as well, production numbers were low at that time, there was a wait.

canefisher

Post by canefisher »

I stand corrected. I’d like to see some examples of Holloman Payne rods. Perhaps members of the forum could show theirs.

LindaHolloman

Post by LindaHolloman »

Hi Everyone, Thank you Joe Beelart for your kind words and narrative of my Late Husband Dave Holloman. I miss Him so much. Yes we do have the Payne Beveller (Historic) and the Payne Beveller modified by Hal Bacon along with other Historic equipment and tools, Bamboo culms, Lathe, etc. We also have many Historic equipment as Joe mentioned that we had in or Museum which is all in storage a this time. We also have the Leonard Beveller (Historic). Leonard draw Bench (Historic) and the 3rd Leonard (Newer) Beveller. I loved watching Dave work on his Bamboo rods. He made each Bamboo rod from the Original Tooling from EF Payne Rod company down to the hand varnishing. Hopefully the historic manufacturing of E F Payne Rods will continue.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Thank you very much, Linda.

My sincere condolences for your loss of Dave. He was a great rod builder and will certainly be missed by his many friends and customers.

Scott Zieske
Flyman615

Random Casts
Master Guide

Post by Random Casts »

My wife and I were fortunate enough to visit the Payne shop yearly from the ‘70s through to the end of Walt’s tenure. That entire building with the belt driven machinery in situ should have been retained as a museum.

Here’s a pic taken through the window of the closed shop of some rods on the bench shortly after Walt left.

Richard, the Fishin’ Pole 🇵🇱
Random Casts

moregrayling
Master Guide

Post by moregrayling »

deleted
Last edited by moregrayling on 12/17/23 05:55, edited 1 time in total.

gclark
Sport

Post by gclark »

Hello Linda,
Thank you for your post regarding the Payne Rod Company here on the Classic Fly Rod Forum.
So sorry for your loss. I lived in Bend Oregon, and bought a model 98 from Dave in the early 2000’s when the shop was in Sisters Oregon, and visited with Dave a number of times after the shop’s move to Bend. I always enjoyed stopping into the Sisters shop on my way to fish the Metolius, listening to his stories and talking fly rods. As I mentioned in an earlier post, he was always so generous with his time, and so passionate about the Payne Rod Company and his dedication to continuing on the building methods (and secrets) and the Payne legacy. He embraced the difficult situation of owning the historical marque of Payne, and the stigma of not being a blood relative of the Payne family, yet he was able to carry on the high standards and keep the dream alive, continuing on the Payne tradition miles away from its roots in New York. It took courage to carry on that dream, and I am thankful that you and your husband took on such an enormous challenge. I think of Dave every time I fish the flyrod, and miss him as well….
Best wishes to you, your boys, and family.
Gary

caneseeker
Sport

Post by caneseeker »

Several years ago while visiting Ron Kusse at his Washingtonville shop, he showed me the hand press that Jim Payne used to press the nodes of his bamboo. I have no idea what happened to that piece of equipment, but suffice to say I'm sure a lot of his tools have been scattered about destinations unknown.

Caneseeker

Return to “Information About Makers and Manufacturers”