From "Are we done yet? to WOW!"

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

From "Are we done yet? to WOW!"

Post by 3creeks »

This past week/weekend we visited our son and his family in Missouri. Wanting to go with the flow as new grandparents we agreed to take them to Springfield and to the big Bass Pro Shop there. They were interested in touring an aquarium that sounded pretty interesting. Well the museum and aquarium were definitely worth seeing but between all of the walking and the shopping it was kind of dragging on for me, plus my sciatica was starting to flare up. Then we came upon the American Museum of Fly Fishing- in Missouri! What the heck? I had no idea that this was there and it was really great to see. Afterwards I looked it up online. Pretty cool. There were a couple of Paul Young rods, including a Midge with the thinnest cork grip I've ever seen. It couldn't have been bigger than 5/8" in diameter. A couple of Payne's a Gillum and a Garrison (wow!), rods from Orvis and a couple of Powell's. Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised by this. Any of you MO fisherfolk been to this museum?
https://wondersofwildlife.org/partner/a ... y-fishing/

jvh
Master Guide

Re: From "Are we done yet? to WOW!"

Post by jvh »

That's really neat. I've been going to that store since the 70's. It was much, much smaller then. I've not been to the museum though. I'll be checking it out in the spring. Thanks for posting.
Vern

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

Been there a few times. Last was early this year. Not to the museum however - going to have to go now!

When they were first getting started, decades ago. One of the sales staff's wife was in the hospital having a baby. My mom, who was the head of OB made me go over in the waiting room and talk to they guy as he was nervous. Sat there and talked flies and fly tying for a while.

Thank you for the tip.

dave potts
Guide

Post by dave potts »

Living in Missouri, I have been to the Bass Pro store many times. A few years ago, I did the aquarium tour but don't recall the flyfishing museum. Maybe it was not there then. Is it part of the Aquarium tour or separate? When I went you could get separate tickets for the Aquarium and the Wildlife Museum. However, it is now just one ticket for both and rather expensive as I recall. Plus, doing both in one day doesn't do justise to them and can be quite tiring. I rember spending over four hours just doing the Aquarium and could have spent more time but my back was killing me.

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

https://wondersofwildlife.org/2022/wond ... y-fishing/

It looks like it opened earlier this year. The tickets were pretty expensive indeed, but I don't recall where the museum was located in relation to whether it was in the aquarium or the wildlife area. My back was about to go and seeing the fly fishing museum breathed new life into me.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”