A fly from the past

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

CL65
Sport

A fly from the past

Post by CL65 »

I enjoy seeing flies that were popular and more commonplace years ago. A fly that I have not seen for many years and always admired is the Gay's Grub. My quick search did not turn up anything and they haven't appeared for sale or have not been written about for some time. It is a nice-looking fly, a yellow chenille body, orange floss rib and a clipped, palmered creme colored hackle. Does anyone know the history of this fly or still fish it.

pgbuilt2
Sport

Re: A fly from the past

Post by pgbuilt2 »

I remember that fly vividly , and it was actually one of the first flies I taught myself to tye ,albeit crude at 10 years old , I still have one somewhere that was part of an Orvis Trout Selection I believe that they offered at the time (early 70’s) , haven’t fished one in years , but now that you’ve rekindled this old gem , it may actually be something the fish don’t normally see anymore , and probably slay em ???

CL65
Sport

Post by CL65 »

That fly made an impression on me because of the colors used in the pattern. I also got mine in an Orvis Nymph selection in the early seventies. I still have the fly box that it came in, the box has the name of each fly stamped in the bottom the compartment that the fly came in. I am going to tie a few and give them a try during next season.

Zoran

Post by Zoran »

Could any of you post screenshot of the fly from Orvis pamflet and we could try to recreate it here?

pgbuilt2
Sport

Post by pgbuilt2 »

Yup , each name of the fly was typed next to the pattern , clear box with a dare I say “balsa wood” strip for the fly keepers ??? Was a while ago , might have the Hendrickson nymph from the same batch , I’ll take a look ?

trclark81

Post by trclark81 »

Yellow chenille with a palmered ginger hackle.

CL65
Sport

Post by CL65 »

Thank you for posting your photo. That selection from Orvis also contained a white caddis larva tied with a white chenille body and black head. I caught four trout on that fly on my very first trout fly fishing outing.

pgbuilt2
Sport

Post by pgbuilt2 »

Here is a pic of the Gays Grub I have from the Orvis selection , sorry for the quality , but yes , I remember that white caddis nymph being a part of it , along with the Hendrickson nymph I earlier mentioned , and a Yellow May nymph seems to kick a memory also ? Wish I still had the box , if anything just for S&G’s …..🤣

WakBush78910

Post by WakBush78910 »

In the early 1900s, a fly fisherman named Gay began fishing for trout with a fly that he had created. He called it the "Gay's Grub." The fly was made from yellow chenille, orange floss ribbing and a clipped, palmered creme colored hackle.

Gay's Grub is no longer as popular as it once was, but I still fish it now and then when I find myself in an area where there are trout streams. It seems to work best when fished wet or dry under an indicator.

I don't know much about the history of this fly, unfortunately—but if you have any more questions about it, feel free to ask!

CL65
Sport

Post by CL65 »

Thank you for that bit of history of the fly, I knew nothing of its origin and was always curious. I am glad to hear that you still fish it, I am going to give it a try this season coming. I haven't had on in my fly box for many years.

pgbuilt2
Sport

Post by pgbuilt2 »

It might make for a fun 2023 fishing season , toss in a Breadcrust soft hackle , and the good ole Royal Coachman traditional wet fly , what more do you need except a Black Ghost Streamer ??? Thank You for the History , funny how things come full circle …?

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”