A few nicely refinished H-I rods

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

barebo
Master Guide

A few nicely refinished H-I rods

Post by barebo »

I introduced my nephew to fly fishing just over 30 years ago and upon visiting him this weekend, he broke out a few rods I'd forgotten about. One is an early H-I "Princess" 7 1/2' 4 wt. with a mild swelled butt and the other is an 8' 5 wt. that my friend and rod building mentor Steve Payne built from components he had acquired upon the H-I factory closure.

Steve was an amazing builder - he didn't split cane, but his attention to detail and finish work was of the highest quality. He was a certified repair shop for Leonard and had the varnish "recipe" in his dip tubes. He showed me all of the pertinent paperwork from Leonard that confirmed his claims - not that I would begin to doubt his word - he was a fine soul and those who knew and dealt with him would attest to that. I miss him dearly. His quaint shop in his log cabin basement was always welcoming and his wealth of knowledge was given freely. He dubbed the shop "Home of the Iron Fraudator".

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Re: A few nicely refinished H-I rods

Post by kevinhaney1 »

Very nice indeed!

Kevin
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

driftless angler
Master Guide

Re: A few nicely refinished H-I rods

Post by driftless angler »