Annealing ferrules

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Don Andersen
Master Guide

Annealing ferrules

Post by Don Andersen »

Folks,
Was pondering this morning on the techniques of annealing ferrules.
Annealing makes the metal soft enough to conform to a broach.
The question is, how does that effect the strength of the ferrule?
Was going to build a quad.

regards,

Don

Titelines
Administrator

Re: Annealing ferrules

Post by Titelines »

Unless you've work hardened them, the ferrules don't need to be annealed. If you have work hardened them, annealing won't affect the strength of the ferrule. Annealing only softens the metal to it's pre-work hardened state.

Mark

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, If you are working with tubing then you are working with 'work hardened' material. The tubing is hardened when drawn. It would need to be 'quenched' to anneal. I don't know about making ferrules from bar stock.

Jay Edwards

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

Don:

Your question needs amplification. What kind of work are you doing to make the ferrules, drawing, forming, machining? What type of metal are you working with? Condition of the metal as you have received it? is it already annealed? or has it been processed so it is hardened?

Once these are known one can chart a course to working with the material as you advance the process.

Could you fill in the blanks and then our help could be more specific, therefore useful?

Best,

Carl

galt
Master Guide

Post by galt »

Copper based alloys work harden rather quickly so continued reforming will require periodic annealing. You do not need to anneal the entire ferrule, just the area that will become the socket for the cane. Stand the portion of the ferrule you wish not to anneal in a pan of water. heat the section above the water until it just glows light. Let it cool or tip it over into the water— makes no difference.

Once the ferrule is filled tight with cane, I don’ believe strength differences would be a practical issue. If you want the reformed section harder, make your last step a forming step over the mandrel, otherwise, the last step would be to anneal.

Galt
Know the reasons for your actions

Don Andersen
Master Guide

Post by Don Andersen »

I’m using ferrules from Classic and quad ferrule good broaches from Jeff Wagner.
I broached some ferrules but had trouble with larger sizes of splitting over the corners. 12 & 13’s were good.
18’s split on the corners.

Regards,

Don

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Anneal and you'll be fine. Galts system will work. Probably you'll need to round the corners as, I think, Jeff wagner recommends.

Jay Edwards

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”