Ancient Article, Practical Applied Science

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

carl otto
Master Guide

Ancient Article, Practical Applied Science

Post by carl otto »

As winter falls I haul out old fly fishing publications and go through them. The 1994, January/February issue of Fly Rod and Reel has a great article on fly line weights and their relation to fly rod action that should be "must" reading for everyone. The article goes to some extent to show that perhaps just too much emphasis exists on finding the perfect "X" weight line to match your "X" weight labeled rod. All of the sudden the Walt Powell rods labeled, "4,5,6 WT." and the like, makes sense.

Carl

mlarocco
Master Guide

Re: Ancient Article, Practical Applied Science

Post by mlarocco »

So where do forum members make their holiday arrangements to attend the classic fireside reading of 'Line Weights'? :)

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Ancient Article, Practical Applied Science

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

carl otto wrote:
11/22/22 09:42
As winter falls I haul out old fly fishing publications and go through them. The 1994, January/February issue of Fly Rod and Reel has a great article on fly line weights and their relation to fly rod action that should be "must" reading for everyone. The article goes to some extent to show that perhaps just too much emphasis exists on finding the perfect "X" weight line to match your "X" weight labeled rod. All of the sudden the Walt Powell rods labeled, "4,5,6 WT." and the like, makes sense.

Carl
yes, sir; thanks, i had learned that lesson more than sixty years ago. thanks for the reminder. :D
regards, jim w

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”