STH Reel Information Request

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

WeaserP

STH Reel Information Request

Post by WeaserP »

Hi all. I'm looking for information on some STH reels. I have four different ones (IM-C1.5, IM POP, SLT-3 and GSR-II) that were passed on to me years ago but I've never had the pleasure of using them so their still in their original box and sleeves. At this point, I'm thinking I should move them to someone who could use them but I have no idea what they're worth. I can send pictures of any (or all) of them if that would help but if anyone could give me any information at all on them (or even a point of reference where I might find detail) I would be most grateful. Thanks much!

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: STH Reel Information Request

Post by jim royston »

I would suggest that you check Ebay recent sale prices by either STH, or the model # or both. The cassette reels reels do not bring much, the others would be a head scratcher. They made some very nice reels albeit a little fragile in their desire to reduce weight. They made so many models that it is hard to keep up with them. Some were absolute duds In my opinion.

WeaserP

Post by WeaserP »

Appreciate the response, Jim. Somehow I knew they wouldn't be the Lotto jackpot that everyone hopes for but, if I'm going to look to move them along, I want to make sure I put a fair and reasonable price on them. I'm much more at home in the guitar world to be honest so I'll take the advice and check the 'bay and see if there's anything there that can help me out. Again, thanks for the assist and hope you have a great holiday!

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

STH reels produced a lot of reels and models, they also manufactured reels for others. The reels that seem to have the highest value are those made for Orvis. The Orvis Presentation EXR and Orvis SSS reel series was made by STH, as were the saltwater CFO's in the 1980's. I know they made reels for LL Bean as well, and there may be others.

As for your reels. The IM and IM POP reels would likely sell in the $30 - $35 range, and the SLT in the $50 to $75 range as it had a cork disc drag. I'm not familiar with the GSR reel, but I suspect that at best it would likely to be in the $50 - $75 range as well. The most valuable of the STH reels are the Gary Borger signature limited edition reels, and even those sell for less that the Orvis reels.

Best of luck.

Jim
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

This is my favorite STH. The Airweight 3, the same design as the Orvis Presentation, with a few detail differences.

WeaserP

Post by WeaserP »

Thank you both for the information. Appreciate it. I guess I'll just post them on the bay with those numbers in mind and see where it goes. If anyone here has interest in them feel free to shoot me a dm and I'll provide pics. Thanks again!

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

STH made reels for LLBean over the years - all were great with noted exceptions about this or that.
I liked some and still use them.

Bill Archuleta has all the parts from STH when they closed up shop.
733 Detrick Drive
Grants Pass, OR 97527
(541) 956- 1691 - 9-5 pacific time
flyreels@msn.com
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

WeaserP

Post by WeaserP »

That's great information, Bill! I'll contact Bill Archuleta and see if he can give me any additional information. Thank you!

WeaserP

Post by WeaserP »

Ran into a friend (who is a fly guy) and he put me in touch with a fly shop owner/friend of his who made me a reasonable offer for all four which I accepted so thanks to all who responded with help. Apparently your thoughts on their value were very close to his and, if he can make a few more dollars selling them, I'm fine with that as well. Again, thanks all!

Return to “Classic Reels”