Talleur and Gander River flies

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

Bill Terry
Guide

Re: Talleur and Gander River flies

Post by Bill Terry »

Jim and Bob, those are very interesting tips. The tip on Wulffs is surprising. Thanks for the tips and the good wishes. Fortunately, I have plenty of time left to tie.

The lodge (Gander River Lodge) recommended Blue Charm, White-winged Blue Charm, Undertaker, Blundertaker, Thunder & Lightning, Green Ass Bug, and Come by Chance Green Machine, in sizes 6-12. So most of them are what I have been tying. I will add a few in size 4.

I was planning on taking 8- and 9-wt Spey rods and an 8-wt 9-ft single-hand rod. My current Spey rods are a 14-ft 8-wt 4-pc Sage X and a14 1/2-ft 9-wt 6-pc Hardy NSX. The Sage is too long for any of my luggage except a separate rod case, which incurs a stiff baggage fee on Air Canada. So I'm planning on getting a 6-pc 15-ft 8-wt Meiser. I have a piece of luggage specifically designed to carry 3-pc 9-ft rods, so I will only have to pay for one bag instead of two. The Meiser, and another cane rod by A. Rubey, will exhaust my rod budget for the year. So no light Spey rods.

I do have some Bombers, but I didn't tie them, so I didn't show them.

Bob, those are some lovely flies.
Ad piscatoribus sunt omnes res secundi.

Bill Charles
Master Guide

Re: Talleur and Gander River flies

Post by Bill Charles »

Bill Terry wrote:
11/24/22 18:40
I have observed over many years that if you find something you like, you should get a lifetime supply, because they will soon stop making it. Thanks for your suggestions.
The Moscow rule of shopping

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”