Plastic waste

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

jalberts1
Sport

Plastic waste

Post by jalberts1 »

I am not absolutely sure this post is appropriately placed but will go forward and if its not Im sure someone will call me out or move/delete it. I know many of you are TU members and hopefully saw the latest issue of the TU magazine which had an article about Oshki clothing. For those who didn't see it let me briefly summarize. Oshki is a flegling company started by a young man in Muskegon Mi (UM grad) who is passionate about reducing the amount of plastic we throw in and on streams, beaches, lakes, etc etc. Oshki collects plastic waste and turns it into clothing, primarily shirts right now. TU has partnered with Oshki for their fall fundraising event and a donation to TU garners you a new shirt. I know some of you do not belong to TU or do not wish to donate to them, so be it but you can order from his web site and he donates 5% to conservation efforts plus you are helping in the effort to clean up our water. Is Oshki going to solve the "plastic problem" of course not, but a million companies like Oshki can certainly lead the way and they will only succeed with our support. A great Christmas gift for that angler on your shopping list as well. For those among you that are skeptical of posts like this; I do not work for Oshki or TU, I do not know the young man who created it, I receive no remuneration from Oshki or TU, and yes I have ordered my shirt.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Plastic waste

Post by Brooks »

Sounds like a good worthwhile project. Another good one to support IMO is Bureo, which gathers tonnage of plastic fishing nets that are adrift in the ocean, melts the material into pellets, and partners up to build sunglass frames, skateboards, and more.
And of course Patagonia which has made fleece for jackets for years out of recycled plastic. All good endeavors. Let’s hope for many more.

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

Saw this and was impressed with the effort. As far as Patagonia is concern, they have been working towards this for years. They even recycle their cloths. People send them their old worn out Patagonia gear, they clean and patch it and resell it to a knowing public interested in this look. They also have tutorials on how to repair their gear to extend it's useful life. Finally, Evonne Chouinard the owner of Patagonia has thrown down the gauntlet to other big corporates by gifting 100% of their profit to environmental issues.

Carl

jalberts1
Sport

Post by jalberts1 »

You are right Carl about Patagonia, they are in a league of their own. I own several articles of used Patagonia clothing, they call it "Worn Wear" most of which is indistinguishable from a new item. With support in 30 years perhaps Oshki will be able to replicate the Patagonia model.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

8o What is the web site address?

jalberts1
Sport

Post by jalberts1 »

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Another similar effort worldwide is being done by 4ocean.
Check them out too, and buy a re-cycled beaded bracelet!

www.4ocean.com

Scott Z.
Last edited by Flyman615 on 11/24/22 10:31, edited 1 time in total.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

I support any effort to reduced and/or reuse plastic, nylon or other synthetic thing. Can't say I'm saving the planet by myself, but really, it's a teamwork sort of thing.

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

Here in Mexico, they don’t provide plastic bags at grocery stores, haven’t for several years. Either bring your own bags to shop, buy a bag made of recycled material which lasts a good while, or carry your stuff home in your arms.
I applaud Patagonia’s efforts. At their prices, should be plenty left over for their very worthy cause

canefisher

Post by canefisher »

carl otto wrote:
11/23/22 14:47
Saw this and was impressed with the effort. As far as Patagonia is concern, they have been working towards this for years. They even recycle their cloths. People send them their old worn out Patagonia gear, they clean and patch it and resell it to a knowing public interested in this look. They also have tutorials on how to repair their gear to extend it's useful life. Finally, Evonne Chouinard the owner of Patagonia has thrown down the gauntlet to other big corporates by gifting 100% of their profit to environmental issues.

Carl
The Patagonia commitment to the environment is estimated to be 100 million dollars per year. Truly amazing! In an age of self absorbed billionaires Yvon Chouinard leads the way in philanthropy to save the planet. In a NYT article describing the commitment a family spokesman commented that “every billionaire represents a policy failure” and recent reporting suggests that many billionaires are also moral failures.

To return to the OP the problem of plastic pollution is indeed a global threat and efforts to collect and recycle the plastic waste are truly noteworthy. However, we also need to concentrate efforts on limiting the amount of plastic waste. One of the primary contributors is plastic water bottles. Here in Michigan we have had a long running controversy concerning the Nestle corporation and water withdrawal and shipping the water in millions of plastic water bottles. Some on this forum may have greater insight into the controversy. I have attached a link to an article (no paywall) reporting on recent events in the ongoing controversy. I suspect most on this forum are responsible and avoid disposable plastic containers. Please consider the environmental consequences when reaching for that bottle of water.

https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-envir ... ter-nestle

Alex

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

carl otto wrote:
11/23/22 14:47
Finally, Evonne Chouinard the owner of Patagonia has thrown down the gauntlet to other big corporates by gifting 100% of their profit to environmental issues.
I met Mr. Chouinard this past summer. A delightful gentleman who puts his money where his mouth is. And I don’t think he flies around in a Gulfstream jet like the ones who are constantly pontificating about how we’re all going to fry in ten years.

Personally I think the amount of waste we generate is far more harmful than the eternal combination engine.

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

Perhaps we should avoid the platitudinous BS regarding the distribution of wealth and stay on topic

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

Noble efforts indeed and deserving of support but I would focus on reducing waste rather than repurposing it. Over consumption is is the real problem in my mind. Be particular about packaging etc. and do what you can. A bit of effort can go a long way. After all, there sure are a lot of us!

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

Well, in theory, repurposing does reduce consumption of plastic.
But I do get your point—plastic packaging, single use water bottles, plastic….everything….is out of control.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”