Cooking on a fishing trip

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

owenscaddis
Master Guide

Re: Cooking on a fishing trip

Post by owenscaddis »

By the end of a day fishing, I am usually pretty beat. I usually stop at a restaurant for a quick bite. My preference is for someone else to do the cooking and clean up. When I was camping, I kept it simple- either hamburgers or hot dogs.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

At our trout camps, I'm pretty satisfied with simple meals -- burgers on the grille, frozen pizza, etc. But the guys I hang with are established cooks and prepare some pretty elaborate meals that require significant prep time that cuts into their fishing...but they are happy make that sacrifice and my job is to stay out their way. We eat like kings, that's for sure.

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

I make a point to find some quirky local venue, either sit down or pass through/pick-up. I have run into some fantastic local fare and met some nice folks to boot. Memorable events like; there is a truck stop in Moorcroft, Wyoming that served up some great hot dishes that I picked then drove to Devil Tower to eat. Or there is a Deli on a back road south of Sheridan, Wyoming that had surprising up-town fare for being so out-of-the-way. Or a homemade side of the road log built ranch shack along the Laramie River with a saw dust covered dirt floor and cougar skins nailed to the wall that served up a great hamburger and fries. I half expected Wild Bill Cody to walk in any moment with the express mail. When all else fails, Subway is my fall back position.

Best,

Carl

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Agree w Carl, I like to eat local when out there on the road. Had great Mexican in Worland, Wyo…but I had a very weird experience near Hebgen when some guy next to me at the bar said, “You know, I really don’t like you coming up here.”

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

I’m with the above that like to search out good local restaurants.
Here’s one for you guys: just a couple miles from the confluence of the Henry’s Fork and the South Fork of the Snake is “The Teton House”— it is in a small basalt historic building that used to be a bank, community of Menan. Despite Menan being the first mormon settlement in the Snake River valley, The Teton House has a fantastic bar with top shelf (TOP SHELF) scotches, whiskeys, tequilas—and fantastic food and apps.

It is in the middle of farmland—a real rural hidden gem.

blackdog
Guide

Post by blackdog »

If you ever find yourself in the SW Wisconsin Driftless, check out Salt and Tipple in Viroqua. Great food and drinks. Well recommended.

Bill M.
Sport

Post by Bill M. »

Cooking fish in a RV or tent and bear country do not mix well for me.

AlexP
Master Guide

Post by AlexP »

Cooking is a big part on my fishing trips, either in rental cabins or camper camping.

We have some fixed items: Steaks with blue cheese sauce and mushrooms, Pasta with clam sauce (can clams), Beans and sausages. This past trip I cooked Spanish pork cheeks (Iberico) that were fantastic over a mushroom risotto. I go all out... This is for my annual trip out West (MT, WY, CO...)

If we are camping around here (MN and WI) I also like to cook decent meals. No hot dogs and chips for me. Cooking is an integral part of any fishing trips I take.

Tight Lines

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

owenscaddis wrote:
11/24/22 20:44
By the end of a day fishing, I am usually pretty beat. I usually stop at a restaurant for a quick bite. My preference is for someone else to do the cooking and clean up.
Frank knows all of the good eating establishments in the Big Sky area.

ReelPatina
Guide

Post by ReelPatina »

I rather fancy my trips as adventures. There is always a side of unplanned at hand built in for exploring.

Dinners are a part of that equation 50:50 in the way that I love finding the local established must eat places as well as the grocery stores . I enjoy both dining out as well as finding fair to cook at the camp site or rental, equally rewarding for me .

I do agree, there are days and nights when it is easier to simply hit town when we are tired . However, when the opportunity arises and the stars align and if one is set up properly, a nice simple memorable meal at camp with friends or if need be alone is something to behold and a nice part of a trip as well.

KaukoP

Post by KaukoP »

Practically all my fly fishing happens on backpacking trips in Lappland. So...

Kauko

GrsdLnr
Master Guide

Post by GrsdLnr »

My camping days are long over, but staying in a cabin with cooking facilities is all but mandatory. I usually bring simple items to prepare (by the time the pasta is done I can have a decent sauce ready) and no worries about driving back from a restaurant after enjoying wine with dinner.
In our family there was no clear line between psychotherapy and flyfishing...

Booman2
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Booman2 »

If McFlyfish reads this, he may be quick to point out that cold lima beans from the can is my go-to dinner. Sorry, but I travel to fish!

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

Booman2 wrote:
11/28/22 21:56
If McFlyfish reads this, he may be quick to point out that cold lima beans from the can is my go-to dinner. Sorry, but I travel to fish!
What? No Spam?

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”