Favorite 8 footer

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

carl otto
Master Guide

Re: Favorite 8 footer

Post by carl otto »

The more you stay at this and the broader you stretch you horizons the more you realize there is no answer to this question in any objective manner. Right now a group of us are going through a pile (currently 20 makers and models) of just 8'0", 5 WT. rods to evaluate which one is "best". From personal experience, in my mind, you could not go wrong with;

Leonard (Mills?) Model 50 (dry fly or?)(the "right" one)
Payne 102, 103, 201, 202
An equivalent F. E. Thomas Special
Granger 8040
Phillipson Dry Fly Special
Winston 3 3/4 & 4 ounce models
E. C. Powell A & B tapers
Heddon 0F, 1 3/4F, 2F
Dickerson 8013, 801510, 801611, 8014.....
Paul H. Young Para 15 (I prefer the 4 1/2 tip, 3.9 ounce dry fly (just my preference Quash))
The early makes of the Summers Model 856
The works in that length of Jim Hidy, Per Brandin, Leon Hanson, Marty Karstetter, Jim Reams, Chris Vance
The ones I cannot remember and the ones I have yet to experience

So it goes without saying that you need to start to consider, 3 WT., 4,5,6,7 WT, fishing terrain, kind of caster you are, etc. etc.. If you took a year and went to shows and gatherings determined to get your hands on and cast as many 8 foot rods as you could you would end the year a more knowledgeable person and have a better definition of what you are looking for. Then determine if you are going to buy a classic or have one of the great makers you have by then now run into build you a new rod designed off your experiences.

Enjoy the journey, you will meet a lot of us out there.

Only the best of luck to your adventure! (Luck? Chance favors the prepared mind.)

Carl

Bill Terry
Guide

Post by Bill Terry »

My favorite 8-ft rods are 5-wts, and I can't pick a favorite from these three:

Leonard one-off 2/2
A. Rubey 2/2 hollow-built
A. Rubey 2/2 solid-core
Ad piscatoribus sunt omnes res secundi.

St Vrain Angler
Master Guide

Post by St Vrain Angler »

I prefer 3/2 rods, so...
1st choice: Jenkins 803
2nd choice: Goodwin Granger 8040

fishbates
Master Guide

Post by fishbates »

Payne 102
Payne 201
Garrison 212
But I had a Granger 8040 very nice
And ofcourse Ec Powell 8’

imaterp02
Guide

Post by imaterp02 »

My favorite 8 footers…

8’ Phillipson Pacemaker 3/2 4/5 weight
8’ Orvis Pat.Pend. 3/2 5 weight
8’ Orvis Wes Jordan 2/2 6 weight

paramount
Master Guide

Post by paramount »

It all depends on what I'm fishing at the time and in no particular order, 8' G. Maurer "Queen of the Waters", 8' Phillipson Paramount, 8' G. Maurer "Rocky Mt Trout Bum. Forgot to add to the fav list... Mike Brooks 8' Mckenzie NW, and Carlin 8' Para15.
Last edited by paramount on 12/01/22 16:30, edited 1 time in total.

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

Timely thread. I've focused on 7'6" rods and shorter in my early hobby building career but I'm turning to 8' rods now. I've got strips ready to plane for a Para 15 with light, standard and heavy tip options, a Payne 102, and a Dickerson 8013. Milward's book has a taper for a 4 weight based on the Para 15 taper that I might try, as well as the Cattanach 8' 5 weight. Then I'm going to focus on 8' 3 piece Thomas, Payne and Dickerson tapers. I'm in the rabbit hole and I can't see the way out of here!

bearbutt
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bearbutt »

carl otto wrote:
11/25/22 15:25

The more you stay at this and the broader you stretch you horizons the more you realize there is no answer to this question in any objective manner....
So it goes without saying that you need to start to consider, 3 WT., 4,5,6,7 WT, fishing terrain, kind of caster you are, etc.

Carl
What Carl said. 8 footers are my favorite length--but the determining the favorite-of-the-day depends on the details of the water, and the flies I'm fishing--. I usually fish the Ausable in Wilmington, and depending on conditions might be using anything from an 8 foot for a 6 to an 8 foot for a 4.

If I had to pick just one it would be a PHY Ace with a 14 ferrule from 1950 with a tip 1 1/2" short--it casts a 6 weight and manages everything from size 4 flatwings to size 22 CDC emergers. But a caveat: I've had three other 8' Aces, and none had the same taper--so consider that every build is going to be different.

In the 6 weight department, I also like: Para 15, Kushner Exelereme, Payne 202, and FET Browntone Dry Fly.
In the 5 weight department: An early (1932) Garrison, and a Ken Crocker with a 14 ferrule.
In the 4 weight department: ECP

I haven't fished a lot of other 8 footers--like an 8014--so like Carl said, try to get your hands on as many as you can, and decide for yourself.

bb

Random Casts
Master Guide

Post by Random Casts »

I am fortunate enough to own three two piece eight foot Paynes; one 5/6 wt from the mid to late twenties, one 3/4 wt from the mid thirties and one 5 wt from the late forties to mid fifties. Each one has its own character and depending on the venue are my go to rods. Also an early post fire Leonard two piece eight foot 5/6 weight is no slouch.

Richard, the Fishn’ Pole 🇵🇱
Random Casts

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

This page from Chris Carlin is relevant.

http://carlinbamboo.com/essays/deflection.htm

Gravity
Sport

Post by Gravity »

Hardy Phantom (8ft, 2 piece, 5wt). Lovely crisp action - great for dry fly and even makes my casting accuracy look OK!

Capt. Frank
Master Guide

Post by Capt. Frank »

John Zimny built para 15.

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

Gravity wrote:
12/01/22 10:58
Hardy Phantom (8ft, 2 piece, 5wt). Lovely crisp action - great for dry fly and even makes my casting accuracy look OK!
Interesting suggestion! I don't have an 8ft Phantom, just a 9ft which I like. I do have an 8 ft Hardy Casting Club de France which is a great rod. The Phantom replaced the C C de France in the Hardy lists in the early 1960s.

So far there have been six or seven recommendations for the Para 15 or equivalents.

j.robillard
Guide

Post by j.robillard »

The only one I have: a Pennington Pine River 805. It needs a half step heavy line for real close-in work, but with 10-60 ft of a level DT 5 wt (SA Frequency Trout in my case) it's accurate, forgiving and smooth. I've found it to be a rod I can fish an entire day, and not think about it once. Maybe not remarkable, but a very fishable tool.
The fly rod not only catches trout; it is a handy fulcrum allowing me to cast to those things that seem so far beyond my grasp.

-Harry Middleton.

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

Godfroy wrote:
12/01/22 15:26
So far there have been six or seven recommendations for the Para 15 or equivalents.
This observation reminds me that in his article "Personal Treasures: The Bamboo Fly Rods and Reels Fishermen Love," (The American Fly Fisher, Fall 1991: Vol. 17, No. 3), Gerald S. Stein evaluated rods based on his own experiences, plus fifty-two responses to a survey he sent to people he considered to be tackle experts. These were anglers who had access to and experience with fly rods built by the classic makers of the twentieth century. Jim Payne was by far the favorite maker overall, but when respondents were asked for the one single taper they preferred above all others, no favorite rod was cited more often in the survey than Paul H. Young's Parabolic 15.
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

Jenkins GA-80.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”