South Bend model 53 8 1/2’

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Cutt Junkie

South Bend model 53 8 1/2’

Post by Cutt Junkie »

I just picked up a SB model 53. The bag says 8 1/2’ and that’s what it measures. I’ve been looking through the old SB tackle catalogs but only find that model available in ‘49 and ‘50. In both cases it is only listed as a 9’ rod. They must have thought fairly highly of it at the time because it sold for 35 bucks, which was their highest price for a rod at that time.
Just wondering if anyone had any info on this rod and when it may have been sold. Not finding much about it on the web.

Thanks

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: South Bend model 53 8 1/2’

Post by jeffkn1 »

Got me on that one, and I've been a South Bend fan for thirty years.Postwar, I thought their best rod was the 323 but, as you pointed out, the 53 was $35 vs the 323 at $20. I can't find what would make the 53 so much more when historically the 50 series rods were always budget priced. But the 1950's brought tremendous changes and all the factories were shuffling models around as they dealt with a bamboo shortage and the resulting introduction of fiberglass.
I can't explain the price, nor what other years they offered it, nor why the non-catalogued length.
You win Stump the Stars today. ;)

Cutt Junkie

Post by Cutt Junkie »

I’ve still been researching but haven’t found any answers. I checked eBay for I see past auctions for that model but nothing came up. Seems to be a rod that was introduced and then quickly dropped.

Strange.

barnesspecial6
Master Guide

Post by barnesspecial6 »

It sounds like you have a very scarce model 53 rod. How about a photo of the bag label and the script on the rod, I’d be interested in that, I own 8 SB rods and one of my favorites is a 9’ 3/2 HCH model 53, what makes the 53 cost more is that it’s natural bamboo, not flamed only the best visual quality bamboo was finished natural, less eye pleasing bamboo was flamed to hide any imperfections that had nothing to do with the rods performance, also the tip sections of the 53 had 5 snake guides as apposed to 4 on say a 9’ HCH model 47 also a steelhead bass rod and the 53 was supplied with a metal tube, the unfortunate thing was that 53 was first built and sold in ‘49 just a few months before the trade embargo with China, that put the Kabosh to the 53, as well as SB bamboo fly rods, my 53 is a beautifully casting great powerful rod, I see no reason why SB would drop it

Cutt Junkie

Post by Cutt Junkie »

It should be on my doorstep Friday morning so I’ll be sure to post some pics. Sure appreciate the info you guys have hooked me up with. I did notice that the rod wasn’t flamed but had no idea why. I have 2 model 24’s and a 59, 359, 290 and 291. Pretty stoked to give this one a run.

Cutt Junkie

Post by Cutt Junkie »

Cutt Junkie

Post by Cutt Junkie »

These are some of the pics from the auction site.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”