Making stacked bamboo reel seat insert

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Making stacked bamboo reel seat insert

Post by SpringCreek »

jan96 wrote:
11/27/22 13:27

When I use a whole piece of wood I do the same as you do. Turn to let's say 20mm and then I drill the hole for the mandrel. With "stacked bamboo" I tried this technique only once because during drilling some bamboo pieces came off, the glue failed. Probably because of overheating. With the predrilled pieces when gluing I glue them on the mandrel. With the glue still "wet" I carefully remove the mandrel and let the glue cure in an oven at 100°C/10min..
Thanks. I haven't had a problem yet, but may try the next one I build the way you describe. I appreciate the information.

Jim
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

cregb
Master Guide

Post by cregb »

Well done. Thank you very much for the walk through. It helps me to better appreciate the aesthetic seeing the process.

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

jan96- very nice photos and explanation.

Here's a bamboo fly box made by Japanese maker:

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

cregb wrote:
11/27/22 22:41
Well done. Thank you very much for the walk through. It helps me to better appreciate the aesthetic seeing the process.
:) :)

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

16pmd wrote:
11/27/22 23:17
jan96- very nice photos and explanation.

Here's a bamboo fly box made by Japanese maker:

Thank you for the nice words :)

That fly box is something incredibly beautiful!! My compliments to the maker! :)

joep
Master Guide

Post by joep »

jan96 wrote:
11/27/22 13:30
joep wrote:
11/27/22 11:11
I don't have any rods with these seats but i love the way they look. I think they are right up there with Robert Bolts zebra wood seats imo.
Can you please show these "zebra wood" inserts. I've never seen one :)
Jan, i am not great with photos. If you go to roberts website, https://www.rkboltrodco.com/gallery, you can see them. They are even more beautiful in person.

joep
Master Guide

Post by joep »

Jan, curious to how many rods you have made until now. I have seen your work for years on this site and it is fantastic. Do you have a website and do you sell them.

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

joep wrote:
11/28/22 12:04
jan96 wrote:
11/27/22 13:30
joep wrote:
11/27/22 11:11
I don't have any rods with these seats but i love the way they look. I think they are right up there with Robert Bolts zebra wood seats imo.
Can you please show these "zebra wood" inserts. I've never seen one :)
Jan, i am not great with photos. If you go to roberts website, https://www.rkboltrodco.com/gallery, you can see them. They are even more beautiful in person.
I checked Mr.Bolts website. Zebra wood inserts are really stunning :)

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

joep wrote:
11/28/22 12:06
Jan, curious to how many rods you have made until now. I have seen your work for years on this site and it is fantastic. Do you have a website and do you sell them.
From 1996 when I completed my first rod I made "quite a few" rods and blanks.. I don't have a website. Occasionally I sell a rod(or two...) ;)
r :)

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”