Dave Whitlock

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Dave Whitlock

Post by PYochim »

Dave Whitlock died yesterday.

Dave Whitlock was the real deal. Not one of these loudmouth self proclaimed pseudo authorities who hold court at shows. One of the good guys.
Last edited by PYochim on 11/27/22 14:06, edited 1 time in total.

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Dave Whitlock

Post by jim royston »

That’s sad news. My first acquaintance with Dave was in Art Flick’s flytying book so many years ago.
Last edited by jim royston on 11/26/22 19:18, edited 1 time in total.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Sad news indeed. My condolences to the family.

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

What sad news. Such a talented man. This seems to have happened suddenly. Prayers for his family. Jed
Fefferfly

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

88 is a very respectable age.
Met Dave and Emily once. Such kind people. He left a great legacy with his tying innovations and art

RWHoffhines
Master Guide

Post by RWHoffhines »

In still in grad school 1987 I rented the How-to video he did for LL Bean. Explained the casting/loading so well (watch the back cast!) that I decided to give it a try. I credit him with everything.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

What an unbelievable life. His smile was so infectious. Sure will miss him.
Deepest condolences for Emily and the family.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

I will always regret never meeting him. I owe him a debt of gratitude for all he taught me with his books and tapes during my early days of trying to figure out this sport.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

I first met Dave in 1977. My wife and I were honeymooning at the FFF Conclave in Steamboat Springs, CO. One evening we were standing behind Dave in line for dinner and struck up a delightful conversation with him.

Later I was able to arrange for Dave to be a featured speaker at our local fly fishing club. Needless perhaps to say, he was a big hit and a true gentleman.

My sincere condolences to Dave's family and many, many friends...he will be missed.

Scott Z.
Last edited by Flyman615 on 11/28/22 20:33, edited 1 time in total.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Oh, no.

Dave was a fixture at the Fly Fishing Show for many years. He was a sweet man and a great educator and ambassador for fly fishing. I enjoyed watching him tie and loved his artwork.

R.I.P.

scarlet>fire
Guide

Post by scarlet>fire »

RIP Dave and thank you for all of the inspiration. A lovely man and huge influence on my angling.

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

Very sad. I grew up reading his articles and those wonderful fly patterns. RIP

dave potts
Guide

Post by dave potts »

I can only ditto the above. He was kind enough to autograph several of my books at the Mountain Home Conclave one year. He didn't just sign his name but added a sentence or two like he knew me personally. He had a wonderful life. He was a chemist by education and worked in the oil industry for awhile but later followed his passion of fly fishing. He and Lefty are probably fishing one of those great trout streams Up There.

Santafecino
Guide

Post by Santafecino »

This guy's passing leaves a void. He came to New Mexico many years ago and did a day-long presentation that included tying flies for the gathered students (like me) and doing pictures of fish, insects, flies and nature. At one point he said he loves to fish but thinks he loves art even more. He combined the two, and what a life it made.

Return to “Forum Announcements”