Catskill rod makers

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

joep
Master Guide

Catskill rod makers

Post by joep »

Are there any books in regards to catskill rod makers. Something like they have for Oregon and Colorado makers. Maybe not even a book but something with a somewhat complete history and list of the makers throughout time until now.

owenscaddis
Master Guide

Re: Catskill rod makers

Post by owenscaddis »

Casting a Spell by George Black covers the early Leonard and Edwards history, with a bit of Payne and Thomas thrown in.

Ear4
Master Guide

Post by Ear4 »

Marty Keane’s Classic Rods and Rodmakers covers some of it.

By far the best writing on Payne is Hoagy’s chapter in 8. 53 pages so it covers a lot of ground.

Be warned though, the first time I read it I felt compelled to buy a Payne. Now that I am fortunate to have a few, reading it makes we want to go out and fish or at least cast one immediately!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cappy
Guide

Post by cappy »

Joe - Did you call the Fly Fishing Center in Livingston Manor? If anyone has a book they would.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

I've been searching for a copy of Hoagy's book. I just tracked down a used one. Thanks for that reminder about the chapter on Payne.

For my money, Casting a Spell is so enjoyable that I've read it cover to cover at least three times in a 5 year period. While not a book, and also not totally focusing on Catskills builders, the Chasing the Taper film covers a lot of the men who were heavily influenced by Catskills builders. It's truly a beautiful film.

Booman2
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Booman2 »

Trout Tackle II by Schwiebert has lots of information, but I think there are a few mistakes in the text. "Split Cane Rods, Bamboo Treasures" by Rolf Baginski is excellent.
I have not checked recently but recall the The Wise Fisherman's Encyclopedia is a treasure of info and the book us usually very inexpensive. In addition to some excellent rod history there are chapters on ferrules, and on bamboo rod building by Lew Stoner.

eastprong
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by eastprong »

The section on Rod Building in Wise is by Louis Feirarabend, inventor of the Super Z ferrule.

http://whitefishpress.com/bookdetail.asp?book=178

--Rich

j2t
Guide

Post by j2t »

Booman2 wrote:
11/27/22 19:52
Trout Tackle II by Schwiebert has lots of information, but I think there are a few mistakes in the text. "Split Cane Rods, Bamboo Treasures" by Rolf Baginski is excellent.
I have not checked recently but recall the The Wise Fisherman's Encyclopedia is a treasure of info and the book us usually very inexpensive. In addition to some excellent rod history there are chapters on ferrules, and on bamboo rod building by Lew Stoner.
A few mistakes is putting it mildly.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Harmon Henkin - Trout Tackle. Affordable and opinionated, but a good read.

Booman2
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Booman2 »

Creaky is right. Harmon's book is excellent. He took some heat from T&T for saying that their ferrules could be stronger, but he knew his stuff. His perspective is unusual and refreshing, at least to me.
I tried to be nice re Schwiebert's book, but there are some errors in it, for sure.
There are some fantastic books/magazines from Japan that have the best photography I have ever seen, but, alas, some are not written in English. "The Bamboo Fly Rod" summer 2001 and others stand out for their photos.

joep
Master Guide

Post by joep »

Thank you guys. Some mentions of things i have not read on here. Also i probably contact the museum and ask if they have anything.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, It's been years since I read Schwieberts book on bamboo. There was quite a bit in Nymphs on bamboo as well. Is there a discussion of his errors any where, or would someone comment? I'm an Ernie fan, but I prefer accuracy to 'truthiness.' Thanks,

Jay Edwards

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Yes, I like ES's take on nymph tackle in one of the early sections in his old Nymphs from '73

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”