What reel for a Orvis 99 7 foot 6 wt?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

agrust

What reel for a Orvis 99 7 foot 6 wt?

Post by agrust »

Hi,

I am new to bamboo. I bought a project rod at a garage sale. A nice Heddon #10 but the guides are rusty and the wraps are coming off. But the cane is in great shape. After that I bought a like new Montague Redwing medium trout. About the same rod. My cousin got interested in bamboo and his wife bought my Redwing for what I paid for his birthday. So, i found a 7' Orvis impregnated "99" made in 1967 44 days after I was born. It is in excellent shape. I am so excited for this rod to arrive to try it out. I have an Orvis Madison (Pflueger) 6/7. Which was made in the 70s I believe. Do you think this will be a good reel for this rod? or should i look for something else?
Thank You in advance for your answers,
Aaron

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: What reel for a Orvis 99 7 foot 6 wt?

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Your Orvis Madison reel will be fine. Other options would be a Pflueger medalist 1492 or Heddon 310 or Young Pridex 3" on the budget conscience side of options. I like that rod with DT5. You may want to visit this thread viewtopic.php?t=130420&hilit=reels+for+ ... t&start=80 to get a visual with that rod and some other popular reels, but most are in the $200 and up range even on the used market. Post 95 has quite a few photos of the Battenkill version of the same rod.

Cheers,
Joe
Last edited by NewUtahCaneAngler on 11/30/22 10:52, edited 1 time in total.

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Use the Madison reel for sure, and enjoy the new rod!

Jim
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

barnesspecial6
Master Guide

Post by barnesspecial6 »

Yes Medalists and Madisons are very popular especially back in the day, but, my opinion only, to me theres nothing as pleasurable as hearing the screaming drag of a click drag only reel, like Martin MG7, Martin classic and Trophy smaller reels, click only, Orvis Battenkill’s clicks only, I also own Medalist reels, the only ones that have a beautifully sounding clicks are the vintage 1492, and 1492 1/2.

GANGGREEN
Guide

Post by GANGGREEN »

barnesspecial6 wrote:
11/30/22 08:42
Yes Medalists and Madisons are very popular especially back in the day, but, my opinion only, to me theres nothing as pleasurable as hearing the screaming drag of a click drag only reel, like Martin MG7, Martin classic and Trophy smaller reels, click only, Orvis Battenkill’s clicks only, I also own Medalist reels, the only ones that have a beautifully sounding clicks are the vintage 1492, and 1492 1/2.
I like the looks of those Martin click reels and I've seen them on the auction sites, but I'm not sure what size reel you would want for a four or five weight double taper line. Thoughts?

barnesspecial6
Master Guide

Post by barnesspecial6 »

Martin Classic MC56, Orvis Battenkill III both hold a full DT6F fly line, both are excellent performing great sounding reels, you’d be happy with either one and the Orvis is still available new and very affordable

JoeBolt
Master Guide

Post by JoeBolt »

I liked the look of New Utah's (Joe's) Martin 65 recently posted. An affordable backup to OPs Madison.
While he looks for the ideal Orvis 1915 (M67N)
or CFO123,
or Battenkill 5/6
or.... I see a lot spools ahead for the number of lines you'll need to fish!
Received the rod yet, agrust? It's exciting.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

An Orvis CFO III or IV is nice, and I also Like a Hardy LRH on my 7'6" Madison!
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

If it was my rod - I would put a CFO IV on it and go fishing for the next 39 days trying out six different lines.
Silk - Sylk - DT - WF
Oh what fun!

The reel of the day was the JW Young so you could easily go that route.
But wait - a mint Madison by Pflueger as mentioned above would look cherry on it I am sure.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

JohnMD1022
Master Guide

Post by JohnMD1022 »

A Hardy JLH #6 would be great.

So would any Battenkill from the JE Young era, or a Farlow Sapphire.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”