Unusual Pyyne

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

carl otto
Master Guide

Unusual Pyyne

Post by carl otto »

I am looking at an interesting Payne Rod that perhaps someone could shed some light on. It consists of a butt, mid and 3 tips, original tube and bag partitioned for all of the above. The butt, mid and 2 (interchangeable) tips go together to form a 9'0", 6 ounce fly rod, which casts a 5 or 6 weight line. The third tip is built up entirely out of agate guides (not spinning guides) with an agate tip top. The butt also has an agate stripper. The reel seat is an early Ed Payne all nickel silver ridged sliding band type and the rod is wrapped with the early style all intermediates. This third tip ferrule fits smoothly into the butt so you end up with a 6'0" rod with all agate guides that is definitely not a fly rod, a baitcaster then??

Anyone seen something like this before? I know Payne shop would make some one off's in their day. How unusual is this configuration? How valuable are these one off Payne's?

Carl

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Unusual Pyyne

Post by quashnet »

Perhaps the 6'0" rod was intended for trolling? Not my area of expertise, but it's hard for me to imagine proper baitcasting technique with the reel positioned at the end of the butt section.
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

EIFFFF!

Quash, I forgot an important piece of the description. The butt cap of the reel seat has a opening in it either for a grip extension or a bank spear. Missing from the rod as is.

And, yes someone mentioned a trolling rod I had been talking to. Good point.

Carl

fishbates
Master Guide

Post by fishbates »

I would guess someone added the third tip to the Payne
Is the bamboo Payne ?
Pics would be helpful
Very unusual rod
But as stated jim would make anything you wanted and probably did
Dave

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”