Lacquer on wraps

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Pterrano
Sport

Lacquer on wraps

Post by Pterrano »

I am trying out some minwax clear lacquer diluted 50/50 as a color preserver on some thread wraps because I really like the color I can achieve with it. Aiming for about 4 coats and then 2 coats of spar over that. It seems like a good idea in my head but the more I have been thinking about it the more I’m wondering if the brittle nature of lacquer will develop cracks over time from the rod flexing. If anyone has some experience with this that they could share it would be greatly appreciated.

DonT
Master Guide

Re: Lacquer on wraps

Post by DonT »

I don’t think you need 4 coats. See if just a couple gives you the same aesthetics. FWIW Leonard used lacquer back in the day I believe.
Don Titterington
Desert Canyon Rods
West Linn, OR
Repairs/Renovations
Custom Builds

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

According to the Minwax PDS, Clear Lacquer is a nitrocellulose lacquer containing coconut alkyd as a plasticizer. It may not be as brittle as you think?

holla999
Sport

Post by holla999 »

my advice, use only max. two layers of your preserver. like the name says, it is only a preserver.
then you must let it dry good before you add the finish.
remember, the thicker your lacquer, the more it gets brittle.
in the "old" days you saw the winding profile come through the finish, like the good Payne's and Leonard's had.
nowadays the epoxy coatings are another world.
gr. Peter

oddsnrods
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oddsnrods »

I have found dilute Pro-Craft jewellers lacquer has all kinds of rod- making applications from dipping ferrules to preserving thread colour. Applied once only with a toothpick on wraps, it soaks in evenly and dries almost straight away-use in well ventilated space. Over the years I have not noticed 'cracking' to be an issue.

If wrapped over a varnished/ Tru-Oil blank the applied lacquer seems to 'fuse' the wraps to the blank and guide foot, rather than sitting on top, which makes for a firmer bond. I dilute 50/ 50 with acetone.

For the top coat I apply 4 coats of a floor varnish.

Recently I was recommended emtech acrylic lacquer, which is water based. I have used it once on a red Piper's silk, which overly darkened when the Pro- Craft was applied. I don't think it 'fuses' as well as the Pro-Craft, but it preserved the colour well.

Malcolm

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

I've used one coat 50%/50%, one coat 75%/25% and lastly a coat of 100% with very good results. Sinclair's recommendation.

Pterrano
Sport

Post by Pterrano »

holla999 wrote:
11/30/22 05:29
my advice, use only max. two layers of your preserver. like the name says, it is only a preserver.
then you must let it dry good before you add the finish.
remember, the thicker your lacquer, the more it gets brittle.
in the "old" days you saw the winding profile come through the finish, like the good Payne's and Leonard's had.
nowadays the epoxy coatings are another world.
gr. Peter
As I was applying last night I decided that after the 3rd very thin coat, with almost all lacquer wicked off except what was absorbed or in between the threads, it looked sealed enough to stop. I will apply some varnish tonight and hope for the best. I also prefer to see a bit of the thread profile and not just a homogenous smooth finish.

Pterrano
Sport

Post by Pterrano »

oddsnrods wrote:
11/30/22 06:50
I have found dilute Pro-Craft jewellers lacquer has all kinds of rod- making applications from dipping ferrules to preserving thread colour. Applied once only with a toothpick on wraps, it soaks in evenly and dries almost straight away-use in well ventilated space. Over the years I have not noticed 'cracking' to be an issue.

If wrapped over a varnished/ Tru-Oil blank the applied lacquer seems to 'fuse' the wraps to the blank and guide foot, rather than sitting on top, which makes for a firmer bond. I dilute 50/ 50 with acetone.

For the top coat I apply 4 coats of a floor varnish.

Recently I was recommended emtech acrylic lacquer, which is water based. I have used it once on a red Piper's silk, which overly darkened when the Pro- Craft was applied. I don't think it 'fuses' as well as the Pro-Craft, but it preserved the colour well.

Malcolm

Thank you for the info! Those wraps came out beautiful- flat and low profile. I think I will be tracking down a can of that Pro-Craft.

Pterrano
Sport

Post by Pterrano »

Appreciate all of the feedback! Just when I think I have my finishing techniques dialed in, I like to throw a wrench in the works and start all over haha.

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

That Pro-Craft lacquer is pretty much out of stock everywhere I've checked. It looks like something I'd like to try out.

Lee Koch
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Lee Koch »

I was never able to get 2 coats of lacquer to resist the hydrostatic pressure of dipping in spar varnish, and blotches were the almost-inevitable result, particularly at the "tunnels." THAT sucks, because you then have to strip and start over. When i was still using lacquer, 4 coats were the minimum to avoid blotches, given my methods. I later switched to Varathane 900 and bought a lifetime supply - it is not QUITE as bright as lacquer color-preserving, but 2 coats give me 100% success in final finishing, no blotches. Varathane 900 is no longer made but I hear that some of the other varathane products are about as good in color preserving.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I use thinned lacquer or shellac to set the color. I let it soak to the bamboo and then wipe it off with my finger. I do it twice or more. I don't consider it to be a finish. I use spar or poly to seal/finish.

edit: I also use spar, poly and other finishes to 'set' the color, what ever it takes.......

Jay Edwards
Last edited by bluesjay on 12/02/22 21:39, edited 1 time in total.

ffftroutbum
Master Guide

Post by ffftroutbum »

Lee Koch wrote:
11/30/22 14:20
Varathane 900 is no longer made but I hear that some of the other varathane products are about as good in color preserving.
Lee, I was curious what those other Varathane products might be? Any idea? Thanks

Pterrano
Sport

Post by Pterrano »

Just FYI 3 very thin coats, with all excess wicked off, did not bleed at all when the spar on top was applied with a brush. I think I could have gotten away with 2 coats

Lee Koch
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Lee Koch »

Chris Carlin posted this test in... 2006? Diamond is still available, I am pretty sure.

viewtopic.php?p=844883&hilit=color+pres ... ne#p844883

Lee Koch
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Lee Koch »

As I said, lacquer - or Aerogloss - seem to give the brightest colors, but the Varathanes still allow pretty bright colors to show (and are easier to work with IMHO). All these were preserved with Varathane 900.

eastprong
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by eastprong »

Hi Lee:

I used to use Aeroglass all the time but it has been discontinued as far as I know. Do you know of a current source?

--Rich

Lee Koch
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Lee Koch »

eastprong wrote:
12/01/22 20:02
Hi Lee:

I used to use Aeroglass all the time but it has been discontinued as far as I know. Do you know of a current source?

--Rich
Last I looked (maybe a year ago) it was still on the shelf at my local hobby shop. Haven't look for or seen it since...
Lee

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”