Dave Holloman, Payne Rod Co. passed 8/16/22

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

gclark
Sport

Dave Holloman, Payne Rod Co. passed 8/16/22

Post by gclark »

I noticed in the “Information About Makers and Manufacturers” section that Dave Holloman of E.F. Payne Rod Co. passed away in mid-August of this year. Just thought I’d post it here in “Forum Announcements” as well, as this is where most of these notifications are posted.
R.I.P. Dave Holloman.
I’ll miss your friendship and conversations with you in your shop in Sisters, OR and later in Bend, OR, where I lived. You were always so generous to me with your time and knowledge. So proud to own a couple of your fine rods.
Here’s an example of Dave’s legacy, the finest casting rod I own. Payne 98, circa early 2000’s.
Gary

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Dave Holloman, Payne Rod Co. passed 8/16/22

Post by PYochim »

Gary, thanks for sharing your memories of Mr. Holloman with the forum and the photos of your beautiful rod.

kermit
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kermit »

The words and the Rod. Nothing could be finer..
Zia Rods Brochure
www.ziarods.com

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Thanks for adding to the tributes to Dave Holloman. He was one of the "good guys" and I am better to have known him.
I could add photos of his beautiful graphite rods and a rare Granger bamboo rod he sold me, if it would be appropriate.

Scott Z.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

wctc1
Master Guide

Post by wctc1 »

Thank you muchly. You might add a few photos of one of his graphite rods, especially the wraps. Last time I was in David's plant I saw boxes of them ready to ship. Best not to say which brand, but maybe someone will recognize David's work.

Also, I think the Camp Sherman Store carried David's rods for years. Someone might ask Roger about them. Maybe he has some clicks.

Finally, does anyone have one of the fly tying vises? Photos please. David offered me one, but I respectfully, and now fully regret, declined since I don't generally tie my own flies. He said about, "No matter, I have a list for these," which I believed he machined himself on original equipment when he wanted a break from rod crafting.

We really need to know who David was working with for the history of the PRC, I think.

Joe here

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Gary, a very informative thread and a nice tribute to your friend. I had no idea that rods were still being made under the Payne name.
Last edited by PYochim on 12/04/22 19:39, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Forum Announcements”