ID Help - Vintage Chubb or Landman?

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

lowcountry

ID Help - Vintage Chubb or Landman?

Post by lowcountry »

Hi -
I recently acquired this rod with no visible clues as to who manufactured it. With the rattan handle I assume this could be pre-1900? Any help or points in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

TheMontyMan
Global Moderator

Re: ID Help - Vintage Chubb or Landman?

Post by TheMontyMan »

Your rod was built by the Montague City Rod Company, probably some time between around 1915 to 1925.

It appears to be made of Tonkin cane (as opposed to Calcutta cane). Looking closely, I can see some cracks and chips in the grip that would indicate it was probably made of celluloid (a type of plastic) used to mimic the look of rattan wrapping.

Having the fancy grip, use of Tonkin cane and having a form case puts this rod in the upper mid-grade range of their rod line-up in its day.

. . . Rex
The Monty Man

lowcountry

Re: ID Help - Vintage Chubb or Landman?

Post by lowcountry »

Thanks for the info!

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”