Master Guide

***_BambooBash23 Central_*** April 20 - 22

Post by tunafart »

Announcing:
BambooBash23
20, 21, & 22 April 2023
in Townsend TN
Yes, friends . . . It's ON!
And, once again, the BASH HQ is: Docks Motel [865/448.2234] off US321 in Townsend, Tennessee
{and if you don’t yet have a room reservation, STOP READING NOW, call them and ask for Karen … tell her you're with The Bash}
(If this announcement is looking familiar, that's because the BASH time-honored experience LIVES ON!...--...All 2023 Updates have been made!)
~Join us on the banks of the Little River, and at the
'quiet back doorstep' of Great Smoky Mountains National Park~

But first, this all-too-familiar, but sadly necessary disclaimer:
IN HUMBLE CONSIDERATION OF THE DOGGEDLY-PERSISTANT NATIONAL PREVALENCE OF INFECTIOUS DISEASE:
let's face it, guys - we're gathering here from all points of the compass to share in a face-to-face, hands-on experience, so:
… please carefully review your health status before leaving home in April,
DON’T ATTEND if you are sick,
… and out of an abundance of caution and respect for yourself and your friends:
>>> please consider a fully-boosted vaccination regime to be your personal BASH Passport <<<
........................................................................................................................................................(end of discussion)
- If you have been to the BASH in the past, you will recognize the signature BASH mantra of:
............................ Friends, Food, Fishing & Fine Vintage Tackle.
- If you are considering a first-time BASH visit, and need a little push, just consider this:
BambooBash is like a live, 3-day version of the best parts of the Classic Fly Rod Forum, including:
……- all the genuine comradery the Forum members are known for, with fly-fishing expertise gladly shared,
……- a sometimes-almost-giddy full emersion experience in vintage rods, reels and tackle, with like-minded fools afficiandos
……- some great food probably NOT on your doctor's 'recommended' list, and
……- plenty of fishing time on the cherished waters of the Smokies in all their glorious spring bloom.

Featuring:
The Casting LawnFor the entire (3-day) BASH duration there will be an impressive amount of Cane in evidence, strung and generously shared for test casting on the expanded Casting Lawn at Docks. This is one of those Great Opportunities we often mention here on CFRF to experience different cane rod actions, complete with all manner of support tackle, and certainly No Shortage of independent, non-commercial opinions from your peers about their use, abilities and worth. Bring your vintage tackle and share the experience!
The LineLab will be back, and is now curated by LineBoss Doug T. to hold more than -35!- different modern fly lines, mostly 4 to 7 weights, all spooled on venerable Medalists, and just waiting for your test casts on the Casting Lawn! Have a question about the right line for Your new rod?? Bring it and test out lines on the Lawn! The LineLab is a BASH feature not available ANYWHERE else!

.….So here's the so-called ‘Schedule’ for BambooBash23:
April 20 (Thur)
…. We will officially kick off the festivities with the storied Bamboo Grill-out at GSMNPs Metcalf Bottoms Picnic Area. The Bottoms are located ~20 scenic minutes east of Townsend in Great Smoky Mountains National Park on the banks of the Little River (GPS: Little River Gorge Rd x Wears Cove Gap Rd). Right around 1pm we'll start gathering at the Bottoms's lower end (look for the BASH sign) to share the ambiance only the Little River can provide, chow down on Really Fine Picnic Fare, trade fishing stories with old & new friends and commence the Great Smoky Tackle Swap. Bring tackle you have outgrown, under-use or just want to pass on/sell to other Bashers. Prepare To Dicker!
As usual, the food will be stellar, and again highlighted by the famous Grilled Specialties of the vaunted 'R&R Deli' team (aka: good 'ole Rich & Ray). NOTICE: Due to popular demand, the whole menu, ‘soup-to-nuts’, will again be catered through the skilled efforts of R&R Deli.
To cover this year’s extra expenses, a BashBox cash donation, say $10 each, will be requested. ANOTHER NOTE: Please feel free to bring your prideful dessert or side-dish-to-share if the mood strikes you ((hint-hint Vern!!)).

April 21 (Fri)
…. The focus on Friday will turn to the Casting Lawn at Docks, which has been moved to the MUCH more expansive greenspace behind the old motel rooms. (This year with UPGRADED shade shelters!) The Lawn area now accommodates twice as many casters and allows for improved safety and security for our cherished tackle. The Line Lab’s wide selection of line/reel combos will be available for Flyline Performance Comparisons on the Lawn, surely generating much spirited discussion. And word has it that several regional rod builders are bringing newly completed examples of the craft, including small stream rods, new tapers and some distance Tournament-styled rods.
…. And ever mindful of ‘good PUBLIC health practices’, we will again make a hand cleaning station with non-alcohol-based sanitizers available near the Casting Lawn for the BASH duration.

April 22 (Sat)
.....Starting at 10am on Saturday, this year’s feature TackleTalk program will be offered outside under the covered Pavilion at Docks with a presentation by a very special guest speaker: Matt Kulp, the longtime Supervisory Fishery Biologist for Great Smoky Mountain National Park. Matt was instrumental in the restoration of native Brook Trout to Lynn Camp Prong in the Little River/Middle Fork drainage. Managing important invasive aquatic issues like Didymo and coordinating day-to-day water quality data on Park watersheds are in his everyday job duties. Have questions about access or enforcement? Matt can update us in person at Docks on Saturday. Like most of our history with TackleTalk speakers, I’m especially looking forward to a lively Q&A session following his talk.

……As you may have gathered, we are staging pretty much all Bash-scheduled activity in outdoor venues (like the Docks Pavilion) as much as possible. Keep this in mind when considering your gear & clothing choices. Past seasonal weather has really emphasized the BASH Golden Rule:
........ 'Mother Nature Bats Last'. ..........So, need seasonal advice? Little River Outfitters, our BASH 'hometown fly shop', just down the street from Docks, has up-to-the-minute river conditions, daily fishing reports, local weather forecasts & gear.
Come and enjoy with us the sublime pleasure of casting fine cane over wild fish in clean water, all in a Smoky Mountain Spring !!

The BambooBash Creed
We do this not as a crusade to resurrect the past,
but rather to serve as today’s respectful caretaker of cane fishing history,
while promoting its use, advancing its future and enjoying each other's company.

This thread will remain pinned and act as the clearing house for all BASH23 matters.
Feel free to post your comments and questions here!

Paul
Traverse City MI
Last edited by tunafart on 01/16/23 13:50, edited 1 time in total.

flyrod
Guide

Re: ***_BambooBash23 Central_***

Post by flyrod »

Thanks Paul for keeping the Bash on track and heading into the future! Reservation at Docks is already booked and can't wait for the 2023 Bash :D

jvh
Master Guide

Post by jvh »

Looking forward to it!! Made reservations in April. I will be bringing the gravlax (hint taken). See y'all in a few months.
Vern

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

Again Paul, thanks for being the organization maestro. Joan and I plan to be there. Best, Jed
Fefferfly

chestatee
Master Guide

Post by chestatee »

Looking forward to chatting with everyone while enjoy many smiles and laughs. An amazing group of men (and ladies) make for a genuine and memorable gathering. Thank you Paul for your dedication and expertise.

Bringing several new rods this year including original Dickersons, Paynes, Leonards, South Bends, Orvis and of course several early Paul Young rods (a few new ones this year).

There are nearly 60 spools this year with several new 7 and 8 weight lines for some of the stout rods you want to test. All Lines are cleaned, waxed and fresh leaders are attached.

I’ll have a few items for sale, but can’t compete with Vern’s annual array of tackle goodies.

Always anxious to experience the latest tapers from Jim, Munsey and others.

The selection of rods and reels offered on the lawn for casting at this event is staggering. The Edward’s Quadrates and Featherweight Heddons last year were both rare and mesmerizing to cast.

Can’t wait!

Doug
Last edited by chestatee on 12/17/22 17:12, edited 1 time in total.

czkid
Administrator

Post by czkid »

Boy will I be happy to see all those smiling faces a get a chance to exchange knowledge. I've been out of commission in what seems like forever!! Just now healing up for a quiet Christmas at home, and cautious outside activity. Everyone please have a cautious and healthy Holiday.

406tom
Guide

Post by 406tom »

Alexis and I will be there this year (unless we get a statewide blizzard like last year) and bringing demos lines and lines for sale. Alexis will be bringing her new bamboo (don't tell her - it's a Christmas present and she doesn't know about it) and we're looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Tom

chestatee
Master Guide

Post by chestatee »

Will look forward to seeing you both.

Bamboo for Christmas - nothing better!

Count me in for a few lines.

Merry Christmas and safe travels Tom.

Doug

czkid
Administrator

Post by czkid »

Hot damn!!! Party is warming up!! Thanks folks.

406tom
Guide

Post by 406tom »

chestatee wrote:
12/17/22 17:11
Will look forward to seeing you both.

Bamboo for Christmas - nothing better!

Count me in for a few lines.

Merry Christmas and safe travels Tom.

Doug
And a very merry Christmas to you! Do you have any spare reels or spools - happy to let you have a couple more line sizes if you like for the "Line Lab". Gordon Koppin is building her a nodeless rod based on a Dickerson 8013 taper. She saw Gordon showing how to build a nodeless rod at the Northern Rodmakers Gathering last September and fell in love with the whole idea. I asked him to build her one and he was happy to.

Tom

chestatee
Master Guide

Post by chestatee »

I am shopping for myself Tom. The lab has 4-6wt WF and DT lines spooled!

That rod sounds grand. The 8013 is a great taper too.

Doug

RymanType
Guide

Post by RymanType »

Kate and I are looking forward to seeing everyone again this year! We certainly learned a lot last year and looking forward to learning as much as possible again this year.
Doug, which Dickerson you are bringing?

chestatee
Master Guide

Post by chestatee »

The 7612 (1940's) and an 861711 (1930's).

BGreer
Master Guide

Post by BGreer »

Dock's is full.......but I plan on being there one way or another!

Brian

czkid
Administrator

Post by czkid »

Check with the girls and see if they will wait list you.

tunafart
Master Guide

Post by tunafart »

Good point Ralph!
Docks will likely stay full or ‘near-full’ right up to BASH week. That’s typical, and most of those bookings, not all, are our friends coming for the BASH. But there are ALWAYS cancellations and date changes.
……. Ask Karen (see post #1) if her Wait List is available, and stay tuned.
- OR -
Check out the many comfortable and nearby lodges, inns and motels elsewhere around Townsend.
Don’t get discouraged, it’ll happen !

https://www.smokymountains.org/places-t ... /townsend/

bobha
Guide

Post by bobha »

My wife and I are going to come down with our Travel trailer. We will be there for the casting and talking on Friday and Saturday and site seeing the other times. I won't know many people but I am Friends with Munsey and Brian G.

czkid
Administrator

Post by czkid »

bobha, There is a campground that we used to stay in with our Airstream just down the street from the Bash. It used to be called "Ye Olde Mill" campground. It was comfortable and clean and very convenient.

Ralph

bobha
Guide

Post by bobha »

Ralph, thank you we will check it our. I will bring some of my builds.

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Bobha, can't wait to check out your builds. We have several rodmakers that attend (including myself) and we love having someone bring new rods to cast. Hope you like to talk rodmaking and tapers. Its a favorite subject of mine.

Return to “Gatherings and Shows”