***_BambooBash23 Central_*** April 20 - 22

The Forum to list all Gatherings and Shows

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

bobha
Guide

Re: ***_BambooBash23 Central_***

Post by bobha »

Sounds great. I love talking tapers and casting. I have been a regular attendee at the Catskills rodmakers gathering for many years along many other gatherings.

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by munsey w »

Well, after a long wait, Docks called and said a room had opened up! See everyone Wednesday before we kick it all off.

chestatee
Master Guide

Post by chestatee »

Welcome bobha. You will have a very memorable stay with the Bashers.

It would not be a Bash without you Munsey. Can't wait to see what you'll be bringing from the bench.

A year is too long between these gatherings. Looking forward to spending time with everyone on the casting lawn.

Doug

tunafart
Master Guide

Post by tunafart »

Glad to hear it Munsey !!

The room roster at Docks will change more during the rest of Winter and into Spring.
Ask Docks about getting on The List ! It works !

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by munsey w »

Paul- I am very glad I took your advice! I will be bringing a bunch of new stuff to try out.

halh68
Guide

Post by halh68 »

Looking forward to it guys.
I should be in on Monday.

czkid
Administrator

Post by czkid »

I believe I'm in on Tuesday, the important query is when does the Tunafart arrive?
Ralph

BGreer
Master Guide

Post by BGreer »

I think that I have lodging taken care of....just waiting to hear back from the cabin owner.

One important thing of note: It looks like starting in 2023, we will need parking passes for GSMNP.
From the website: "Parking tags will not be location-specific. A parking tag will be required to park in any designated parking spot anywhere within the boundaries of the Smokies."
That of course, will include Metcalf Bottoms.

See here: https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/fees.htm

Brian

tunafart
Master Guide

Post by tunafart »

Right you are Brian ! :-\
I heard about this earlier, but the published operational details are still in flux. This is what I know as of this post:

As of March 1st, GSMNP will be requiring a valid parking pass, tied to the date (like in: ~$5 per day, less by-the-week),
for parking anywhere in the Park for longer than 15 minutes. This is a new program and surely intended to supplement a
woefully underfunded operating budget. Not a welcome arrangement for visitors or rangers, but hardly surprising.
I'm told there will be a roll-out of pass purchasing procedures in late February, but if you're planning to attend the BASH picnic,
tour the Park by car, and park for longer than 15 minutes (really!) your car will need a hardcopy daily parking pass to:
- attend the Metcalf picnic
- park along the road to fish or hike anywhere in Park boundaries
- make a longer-than-a-bathroom-break pit stop at a park facility.

I am advised there will be more advance-purchase info available in late February, and what sounds like new pass kiosks
installations are being planned at the familiar Park entrances. I will follow up on this and keep y'all advised. If you know more,
please let us know.

As per ole' Ralph's inquiry above, I'll be in on Monday with a week's worth of parking stubs in my casting hand !

they call me 'Tunafart'

czkid
Administrator

Post by czkid »

What next to extract $$ from our pockets???

GSElliott

Post by GSElliott »

Hey all. Carol and I will be returning for our 2nd BambooBash. You all didn’t scare us off last year and apparently Carol and I were well behaved enough to be accepted back. Our lodging is locked in and we’re looking forward to seeing you all again! - Gary Elliott

tunafart
Master Guide

Post by tunafart »

Hey all you Elliots !!
THAT’S Good News , and GLAD to hear it !
Paul

tunafart
Master Guide

Post by tunafart »

............... Lookee here! Your attention please !!
Two BASH updates :
1) I screwed up :o the BASH Announcement dates in the original BASH23 post intro:
The CORRECT dates are: 20, 21 & 22 April 2023; that's Thurs, Fri and Saturday.
I have corrected the intro dates and all event dates read correct in the text.
I owe Much Thanks to a sharp-eyed Basher 8o out there; I appreciate it !

2) We have learned from Park sources that the new-this-year Parking Pass required for parking ANYWHERE
in Great Smoky Mountains NP (see post #'s 28 & 29 above) will be sold online AND at a series of to-be-installed
parking pass kiosks at all Park entry stations INCLUDING a kiosk at Metcalf Bottoms!
This should prove a great convenience for those BASH Grillout attendees planning to arrive directly at Metcalf on 20 April.
More details on the new Parking Pass requirements will be released by the Park in 'late February'.

paul
traverse city mi

RymanType
Guide

Post by RymanType »

czkid wrote:
01/09/23 18:16
What next to extract $$ from our pockets???
GSMNP along with all other national parks are used and abused by many guests that have no intention of giving back to the resource they have used in any form. IMO this is a prudent measure to help generate income needed to keep the park running and managed so we can all continue to enjoy this resource. Its easy to armchair quarterback and complain about such costs but those folks are typically not volunteering their time to help either and in many cases are actually abusing the resource. Where else can you enjoy such vast access at this minimum cost?

It’s simple, if you don’t like the fee structure, don’t visit, we need fewer people visiting annually anyway.

tunafart
Master Guide

Post by tunafart »

It has always amazed me that a Park of the scope and quality of Great Smoky didn’t charge an entry fee.
But in fact, less than half of Parks, 116 of 439, charge a fee to enter.
Since it opened in 1934 GSMNP has had charter, road access and other legal prohibitions about requiring fees to enter,
while all that time hosting more visitors to its facilities than ANY other unit of the system.
No problem, right? Just get more money from Congress ! Welllll . . . Since that’s not happening >:D
a parking fee just seems inevitable . . . .
Folks of my generation, and I’ll include Ralph in this, just aren’t used to fees like this in good ole’ Smoky,
but we’ll get over it.

We will have several permit convenience options: at several kiosks (including Metcalf!) and on-line.
Step up - do it for the Park !

mhill

Post by mhill »

Still on the waiting list for The Docks. But just for info sake - another place to stay just reopened, called The Trailblazer. Still has openings. No other info other than that. Will not be my first Bash, but it has been at least 15 years. Looking forward to it. Will be looking for someone with a big boot to kick some life into me and to get going building! I love the smell of old bamboo!!!
Life's a party and I'm the pinata!

BGreer
Master Guide

Post by BGreer »

The parking passes for GSMNP are now available.

https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/fees.htm

They are available to purchase online and print yourself *OR* you can purchase them when you get there.
Right now it looks like there are a few places close to Dock's to purchase.
The closest being the visitor center in Townsend. ...just up the road from Dock's.
You can also purchase them at Cades Cover and the Institute at Tremont.

Just like in other years, the Ford Bronco Super Celebration (Apr. 19-22) will be there the same weekend as we will be there.
They will be set up in the field right next to the Townsend Visitor Center. I would expect a line at the visitor's center.

There is also the option to purchase online and have it mailed to you. But right now, that is *ONLY* for the $40 annual parking pass.
If you want a daily($5) or weekly($15) parking pass, purchasing there or purchasing online and printing it yourself are the options.

The page I linked to shows all of the purchase options, places to purchase in-person, and has a list of frequently asked questions.
What I found most important is that the parking pass requires your license plate number. They hit on that several times.
The parking pass should be displayed low on the passenger side (windshield/dash).

I'll purchase and print mine at home tonight....it'll make me feel like Bash time is getting closer.

Brian

flyrod
Guide

Post by flyrod »

Thanks Brian for the parking pass info! No one likes paying for something that was once free! But IMHO if this small cost helps keep the park open, I'm all for it!

Can't wait to see everyone and cast a few rods :D

tunafart
Master Guide

Post by tunafart »

Great Update & info Brian ! Thanks!

The web link you included has ALL the stations where the parking passes will be available,
including one at Metcalf Bottoms, the site of our Grill-out on April 20th, and a couple sites
on the way to and in Cades Cove. Since I'm arriving a few days early, my choice will be for
the $15 weekly version, but YMMV . . .

Note that all three pass versions are available both on-line and in-site,
- but on-line purchases must be printed on your own printer and brought with you.

This is a brand-spankin'-new policy, and will generate some stories this year, I'm sure.
But if it's what it takes to keep 'ole Smoky goin', it's certainly worth it !

Paul
Traverse City MI

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

Anyone coming to the Bash have a Leonard 48-4 or 48-5 or a pre-fire 48 they would be willing to bring?? Another option would be Marc Aroner’s 7’ 3 piece 4 or 5 weight version which would be similar to the Leonard 48-4 or 48-5. Thanks, Jed
Fefferfly

Return to “Gatherings and Shows”