***_BambooBash23 Central_*** April 20 - 22

The Forum to list all Gatherings and Shows

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

BGreer
Master Guide

Re: ***_BambooBash23 Central_*** April 20 - 22

Post by BGreer »

Paul, yer killin' me!!

I am stuck at work until tomorrow.....see ya in a couple of days.

Brian

czkid
Administrator

Post by czkid »

What Paul has neglected to mention is that he's in sunny Townsend, TN and his wife is stuck in a howling blizzard in Traverse City, MI! Good timing ol'buddyy. See you tonight!

tunafart
Master Guide

Post by tunafart »

Quote from my wife when queried:
“ just WHAT is he talking about ?!? “

Paul

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by munsey w »

Vern, please keep everyone away from the gravlax until I've had my fair share :) We will have a special surprise for all to share at the picnic this year! My guess is this will be the best Bash yet! see you all soon.

bobha
Guide

Post by bobha »

I am excited to meet everyone and see some old friends.

flyrod
Guide

Post by flyrod »

I'm very excited to see old friends and to make more new friends :D And, I'll second Munsey, this will be the BEST Bash ever :D :D

PS: Thanks Paul for all your hard work keeping the Bash on the rails into the future ......

chestatee
Master Guide

Post by chestatee »

My truck is packed and I'll be leaving north Georgia before 6am Wednesday.

Can't wait to catch up with everyone on the casting lawn.

Bringing a good stack of free items and a few gems for sale (reels, rods, books, waders, bags, tubes, thread).

Should have the Line Lab on the casting lawn by lunch time.

Loads of new rods to share.

Doug

tunafart
Master Guide

Post by tunafart »

The Casting Lane is scheduled for a much-needed mowing on Wednesday mid-morning. Oh how I love the smell of casting on a newly mowed Lawn.
God speed . . .

BGreer
Master Guide

Post by BGreer »

Heading out early in the AM as well.

Brian

chestatee
Master Guide

Post by chestatee »

Bash 2023 was my favorite so far. There are no strangers at this event. If you are new, you won't be for long. So many outgoing, generous and kind people make this gathering very special. Each year I look forward to this time with the anticipation of my youth and leave energized by the reward. Cherished moments with friends old and new.

An astounding array of rods, reels and fascinating tackle are a compliment to the very spirited attendees. I sincerely enjoyed the work from the many talented and passionate rod builders on hand, some who traveled for a day or more to attend. Sampling classic and custom tapers with abandon is quite the experience. There were an overwhelming number of original rods from Leonard, Orvis, Dickerson, Heddon, South Bend, Divine, Young, Thomas, Edwards and others; all available to cast! Plenty of goodies available for sale and trade too (One year I will come home with less tackle rather than more).

Paul Hinchcliff (tunafart) is the magician who puts this very memorable event together. He is patient, organized, creative, diplomatic and always smiling. Paul, you are the 'Rock Star' of the Bash! A huge THANK YOU for all you do!

Can't wait until 2024.

Doug

kentuckyjim
Guide

Post by kentuckyjim »

I’m in total agreement with Doug that this was the best bash ever! Paul is pushing to make next year even better. Watch for updates from Paul as the 2024 bash takes shape.
I want to thank everyone who comes and shares their rods,reels,fish stories and enthusiasm for bamboo rods with the group. I look forward to seeing everyone again next year.
Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jvh
Master Guide

Post by jvh »

I must agree, best Bash ever. Thanks to Paul and everyone. So much great tackle, hard to see it all. Being able to cast so many rods is such a treat! Looking forward to next year. Reservations are already made.
Vern

RymanType
Guide

Post by RymanType »

Our 2nd Bash could not have been better. Kate and I certainly appreciate everyone making us feel as if we have been attending the event for years. We appreciate all the knowledge each of you are willing to share with us as we continue to learn more about the history of the builders, our favorite part.
Paul, thank you for all the work you put into this event in the background that we never even see.
Doug, we can’t thank you enough for the Line Lab. The benefits of this resource can’t adequately be described. Kate was thrilled to dial in the line for her new rod. She landed her first fish on it today.
Thanks to everyone that allowed us to view and cast their rods both old and new. The variety is what makes this so great.
Ralph, glad we were able to spend another birthday with you, hope it was a fabulous one!
Kate and I are already looking forward to next year and hope to arrive sooner with the goal of spending less time casting rods and more time with each of you.

chestatee
Master Guide

Post by chestatee »

Brandon/Kate:

Terrific pictures, artwork, cookies!, casting and camaraderie. You two bring it all! I can't remember a moment when you weren't chatting with someone and smiling. Your interest in lighter line rods will lead to an expansion of the line lab. Not sure where we'll put the new 3wt spools and reels, but I'll have them for 2024.

The history IS certainly a highlight. I too love it! We have several knowledgeable contemporary builders on hand and beautiful examples from classic builders of the 19th and 20th century. The Divines with the red intermediates were my favorite this year. If you want to know more about Divine history, who better than our very own Pete!

The Bash is an amazing event.

Doug

RymanType
Guide

Post by RymanType »

Thanks Doug
Kate certainly is a fabulous cook, unfortunately you left before she brought out the sourdough cinnamon rolls. Think she is already planning to bring a bread truck load next year! She fishes and bird hunts better than me too as the picture above makes evident.

The Divine Fairy rods were a joy to see and cast. It was cool to see Pete’s original side by side with Munseys build, such talent. David later showed me his Ifert model which had a cherry insert that was gorgeous as well!

Kates favorite was obviously the PHY Perfectionist, I am starting to see a pattern here on all the Young tapers she enjoys.

My favorite this year was your Thomas & Thomas Paradigm, that is one perfect rod! Thanks for sharing.

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

Want to formally thank Munsey for inviting me to this years Bash as it was nothing short of magnificent. The number and level of quality vintage rods all available to cast was astounding. The opportunity to handle and cast three original Young rods (thank you Doug!) mixed in with all the rest, I was in a state of sensory overload. What really sets it all apart though are the people involved. Never have I met such a wonderful group of like minded souls - all of whom I now consider good friends. The BambooBash is a very special event and I look forward to my next one.

Rob

chestatee
Master Guide

Post by chestatee »

It was truly great to meet you Rob. The rods you brought were amazing. I know Noel and I were smitten with one of your originals! The 5' Banty surprisingly capable and highly entertaining. You brought plenty of energy considering your marathon drive. We would love to have you next year! Munsey is one of the folks that makes the Bash so very special.

Keep in touch Rob!

Doug

czkid
Administrator

Post by czkid »

More kudos for Paul!! When I ask him take over operations a few years back I did with some trepedation, but Paul has exceeded my fondest wishes with his efforts. As you can see, if you attended, the Bash is a cooperative effort. We strive to keep it simple, and minimize any tasks that folks volunteer to do... and this is why the event is so successful.

The wonderful opening day picnic gathering is the idea of Rich and Ray, and totally their concept. It's gotten a bit out of hand given the expanding numbers of participants, but they said, "No...we still want to do it!!" So it's still there in all its glory, supplimented by contributions from others to round out the menu. We've had to request donations to help cover the expenses, but no one goes hungry if they don't have cash.

The "Line Lab" is another voluntary bonus that is unique in it's concept and a boon to all that utilize its freely available use... thank you Doug!! Others slip in additional "freebies" like Munsey and Dennis with free beer!! The local IGA supports us with free water and ice, our inobtrusive vendors slip free samples out to folks. The wonderful facilities at "Little River Outfitters" are ours fro the asking, and have supplied rooms in the past for meetings in inclement weather. And speaking of "free", how about all the information on rods, fishing, casting, etc. that's available???

We really appreciate all the volutary labor and materials that show up at the Bash, thank you, thank you folks... you make the Bash what it is.

And another HUGE thank you needs to go out to Docks Motel for allowing us the use of their wonderful facility and the reduced rates that we enjoy. Many folks don't attend gatherings of this type because they simply can't afford them... and here we are... essentially free.

Thanks for picking up behind yourself, thanks for helping move tables, chairs, tents and all the other things you do without being asked. Thank you for being YOU!!!

20 plus years ago Bill Walters and I started this concept with a few other folks at our local FFF chapter in Huntsville, AL. We had the first couple gatherings back down the road towards Maryville at another motel...but who would have guessed that our simple little gathering would grow into THIS??? So again, THANK YOU!!!, each and every one of you for all your contributions to this wonderful BAMBOO BASH....and may it go on another 20+ years.

chestatee
Master Guide

Post by chestatee »

A big THANK YOU to Ralph and Bill for creating this terrific event. Excited about the next 20+.

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by munsey w »

This continues to be absolutely one of the best gatherings out there! such wonderful people continue to show up year after year! We had so many special guests with so many new and different rods! Paul had one of the best speakers for the Tackle talk segment that we have ever had. I can only hope we can top this year next year! Thanks to all that attended for sharing so much with us all. See you next year.

Return to “Gatherings and Shows”