Short 3-piece tapers?

The exchange of tapers forum is for classic and personally developed tapers. The definition of classic tapers are those tapers that were developed by rodmakers that are no longer alive. Please understand that rod makers who have developed their tapers, and are active in the community, should not have their tapers cloned, or shared, without their permission, please refrain for asking for those tapers as it infringes on the maker.

Moderator: pvansch1

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Short 3-piece tapers?

Post by Canewrap »

I am making a short 3-piece rod (under 7ft) for small stream packability and while looking at published tapers in different books, realized that I could only find a few, very few, light-line 3-piece rod tapers under 7ft. Does anyone know an obscure source for these kinds of tapers? I checked the hexrod librarys, Mauer's book, Cattanach's book, the Lovely Reed, Gould's Tips and Tapers. I am enjoying adapting some longer tapers for this research and have worked out a taper for this one but was just wondering if anyone has other ideas since I want to make some more light 3-piece rods in the future. Thanks in advance.

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Short 3-piece tapers?

Post by henkverhaar »

How about this thread: viewtopic.php?t=97768

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

I remember looking at that back when Jeff published it. I am adding it to my collection of 3pc tapers I have started putting together. Wonder is anyone ever built the unimpregnated version to see how it came out?

trland
Master Guide

Post by trland »

Canewrap wrote:
12/06/22 17:12
I remember looking at that back when Jeff published it. I am adding it to my collection of 3pc tapers I have started putting together. Wonder is anyone ever built the unimpregnated version to see how it came out?
If you read through the thread again you'll see there were a good number of the little Pack Rods made. It's a great small rod taper that is more powerful than it has a right to be.

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Powerful is right. Hexrod thinks it's a 9 weight, but no knock on Frank Stetzer (very thankful for the work he's done), but hexrod just doesn't seem to work well with characterizing 3pc rods.
Last edited by Canewrap on 12/07/22 09:03, edited 1 time in total.

trland
Master Guide

Post by trland »

I’ve noticed that shorter rods tend to have lower stress curves at a given line weight. We made 1,2, and 3 piece versions of this taper and Hexrod actually shows slightly lower stresses in the one and two piece versions with the same dimensions. But changing the line weight to 9 still keeps the stresses in a reasonable range at 30 ft of DT line, although a bit high for my comfort (I just tried it in Hexrod.) FWIW, the rods cast a 4 or 5 wt line really nice and I prefer a 5 since it’s used in shorter casting situations.

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

It's a bit shorter than I have use for, but it has a very interesting stress graph and I can see myself making a 6ft version of it. Thanks henkverhaar for reminding me of this.

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

This is an interesting topic. Thank you to Henk for the link which I had not read before.

You mentioned Cattanach's book at the start. There are 10, sub 7 feet, three-piece tapers in that book. The only one I have built is the 6' 6", #4, which is one of my all-time favourites. It will cast a short line off the tip. Because, I presume, of the unusual butt taper which becomes parallel in front of the handle there is a strong parabolic-type thrust if one needs to cast a long line. I have already built two of them. I am working on another of the same taper but scaled up to a 7ft, 4in, #5. If I felt the need for a rod shorter than 6'6", I would have a look at some of those other Cattanach tapers.

Paul.

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Godfroy, thanks for weighing in. Yes, I know about the short tapers in the Cattanach book, but I didn't have any feedback on how any of them handle, until you weighed in. Now, I will build myself a copy of the 6'6" 4wt, 3pc taper, since what you're describing is what I am looking for. Thank you.

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

Canewrap wrote:
12/07/22 09:02
Godfroy, thanks for weighing in. Yes, I know about the short tapers in the Cattanach book, but I didn't have any feedback on how any of them handle, until you weighed in. Now, I will build myself a copy of the 6'6" 4wt, 3pc taper, since what you're describing is what I am looking for. Thank you.
Good! I don't think you will be disappointed.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Godfroy wrote:
12/07/22 04:50
This is an interesting topic. Thank you to Henk for the link which I had not read before.

You mentioned Cattanach's book at the start. There are 10, sub 7 feet, three-piece tapers in that book. The only one I have built is the 6' 6", #4, which is one of my all-time favourites. It will cast a short line off the tip. Because, I presume, of the unusual butt taper which becomes parallel in front of the handle there is a strong parabolic-type thrust if one needs to cast a long line. I have already built two of them. I am working on another of the same taper but scaled up to a 7ft, 4in, #5. If I felt the need for a rod shorter than 6'6", I would have a look at some of those other Cattanach tapers.

Paul.
I think that 6’6” 3 pc 4 wt of Wayne’s will make a great rod. The lighter, straight-butted short rods really load well in close, roll cast great and can still reach out to the degree any 6’6” rods should. By making the rod with the .25 butt, you only lose on being able to use the rod for hero casts or heavier applications. Wayne’s 6’3” Midge in his book is pretty stiff butted ( but not as stiff as the swelled-butted 6’3” rod George Maurer used to make, and claim to fish salmonflies with!).
I’ve batted this issue and various tapers/prototypes around with Bob Lancaster over the years, and the both the 2 and 3 pc rods in that 6’3” to 6’6” size seem to come out more pleasant erring on the light butted side. Long story short, Bob’s Baetis 3 pc has ( coincidentally) evolved to be very close to that Wayne’s 6’6” 4 wt 3 pc. We’re talking for small stream eastern trout, not salmon a la Gingrich!

One other note is that I seem to like the feel astream of the 3pc version vs 2 pc, all else being equal. Whether it’s the flex in the mid, the weight of the small ferrule providing sling shot feel or the stiffening of the rod 20 inches above the ventilated grip, I’m not sure.

Good luck with these rods and if you are in the Carolinas, pm me and you are welcome to try some variations out on my lawn trout anytime.

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

creakycane wrote:
12/09/22 15:21

I think that 6’6” 3 pc 4 wt of Wayne’s will make a great rod. The lighter, straight-butted short rods really load well in close, roll cast great and can still reach out to the degree any 6’6” rods should. By making the rod with the .25 butt, you only lose on being able to use the rod for hero casts or heavier applications. Wayne’s 6’3” Midge in his book is pretty stiff butted ( but not as stiff as the swelled-butted 6’3” rod George Maurer used to make, and claim to fish salmonflies with!).
I’ve batted this issue and various tapers/prototypes around with Bob Lancaster over the years, and the both the 2 and 3 pc rods in that 6’3” to 6’6” size seem to come out more pleasant erring on the light butted side. Long story short, Bob’s Baetis 3 pc has ( coincidentally) evolved to be very close to that Wayne’s 6’6” 4 wt 3 pc. We’re talking for small stream eastern trout, not salmon a la Gingrich!

One other note is that I seem to like the feel astream of the 3pc version vs 2 pc, all else being equal. Whether it’s the flex in the mid, the weight of the small ferrule providing sling shot feel or the stiffening of the rod 20 inches above the ventilated grip, I’m not sure.

Good luck with these rods and if you are in the Carolinas, pm me and you are welcome to try some variations out on my lawn trout anytime.
Thank you very much for the endorsement. I am aware that my experience is limited, compared with many of you on this site. Although I have been fishing bamboo rods since the 1960s, I did not get my first USA-built rod until 2016 and I have only been splitting my own cane for just over a year.

That 6' 6" rod is ideal for the streams, small and surrounded with a canopy of trees in many places, where I do most of my fishing. The fish are not tiny. I catch a few over 15 inches every year but that is about as big as they get.

Thanks for the invitation! I have always enjoyed visits to the USA . My last time there was over 20 years ago, and connected with my profession at the time, but one never knows.

Paul.

GANGGREEN
Guide

Post by GANGGREEN »

creakycane wrote:
12/09/22 15:21
Godfroy wrote:
12/07/22 04:50

Paul.

Which part of the Carolinas are you located? I'm in upstate SC and learning what I can about split cane rods. Have a friend in the same area that builds them and we fish together when we're able.

Don Andersen
Master Guide

Post by Don Andersen »

Just finished a 6’0” 3 pc. 2 tip Scalloped hollow 4 wt. rod for a customer. Casts great.
Built the way he wanted.
Want the taper, give me a shout.

Don

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Hey Don, sent you a PM. -Bill

halh68
Guide

Post by halh68 »

Bill,
I've got a wonderful 6' 3pc 3wt rod from Jim Ifert. Ask him if he is willing to share the taper with you. I'll bring it to the Bash .

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Hal, would love to cast your rod at the Bash. Is it 6ft or 6ft 3inch? I have the taper for a rod Jim did a few years ago that is a 6ft 3inch, 3wt, 3pc. I cast his version of it and it is a wonderful back country rod.

chsparkman
Master Guide

Post by chsparkman »

The PHY Midge, 6' 3" 4wt taper works very well as a 3-piece. My friend Steve Christopherson and I both made one and they cast "like butter".
...as for us we pin our faith and fealty to the silk-wound PENTAGONAL rod cunningly yet simply devised of its FIVE subtle, individual triangular strips of cane throughout...

Holden, George Parker. (modified by me) Idyl of the Split Bamboo

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

chsparkman wrote:The PHY Midge, 6' 3" 4wt taper works very well as a 3-piece. My friend Steve Christopherson and I both made one and they cast "like butter".
Sounds very interesting
All Young clones I had (summers 275 and a quad version of the Perfectionist) were two piece. The Midge was always on my list but couldn’t pull the trigger because of being two piece

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

Regarding the PHY Midge, here is a comparison with the 6' 6", Cattanach taper which I mentioned in #8, above.

Return to “Taper Exchange”