Blue Ridge Bamboo Gathering May 10-12, 2024

The Forum to list all Gatherings and Shows

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Blue Ridge Bamboo Gathering May 10-12, 2024

Post by Short Tip »

Howdy friends, I'm happy to announce the Blue Ridge Bamboo Gathering for 2024. As always, it will be held at Graves' Mountain Lodge, Syria VA 22743. For those who haven't been, we take over a large building (Poplar Lodge) at the facility. It includes a large common room for sales, displays and hanging out, a common kitchen, small double occupancy rooms, and unlimited casting room outside. Adjacent to Shenandoah National Park and some of the finest wild brook trout fishing in the country. Several blue ribbon wild trout streams are within minutes of the lodge including the famous Rapidan. A stocked trout stream flows through the lodge property.

https://www.gravesmountain.com/

The Lodge has meals as well as lodging. The food is excellent and the menu has been updated. Room rates at the Poplar Lodge will be 99.00 per person per night, The "two meal" plan is 46.00 per person per day. These are "all you care to eat" meals, breakfast and supper. The supper choices have increased quite a bit! Those of you who have attended in the past know the quality and quantity of the meals - they are generous to say the least! Still a bargain, but if you want to reduce the number of meals you can easily do so, contact the Lodge for details. We will also have tables available in our big common room - first come first served. PLEASE, when making reservations, let the Lodge know you are coming for Blue Ridge Bamboo. This helps with planning and helps keep our rates reasonable.

You know how when people post here, asking about learning opportunities for bamboo rods? They are often given the advice, "To find out more, visit a gathering and try different rods, to determine what is right for you". This is that gathering. You'll get the opportunity to see and cast rods you may have only heard about. It's a great and welcoming group of folks.

I look forward to seeing everyone!

Keep an eye on this thread for more info, and please reach out via PM or email me: Paul@brooktrout.fishing

Hope to see y'all soon!

Last edited by Short Tip on 01/11/24 20:57, edited 1 time in total.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Blue Ridge Bamboo Gathering April 28-30, 2023

Post by headwaters »

All right, Paul! Way to plan ahead for us. Thanks! I'm already looking forward to it!

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

Paul and Rupert, I will be coming up from Tennessee and plan to attend the Blue Ridge Gathering. Looking forward to it. I have already reserved my room. Thanks, Jed
Fefferfly

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

fefferje wrote:
02/05/23 16:17
Paul and Rupert, I will be coming up from Tennessee and plan to attend the Blue Ridge Gathering. Looking forward to it. I have already reserved my room. Thanks, Jed
Jed, that's great, it'll be good to see you.

PK

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

It’s been awhile Paul. It will be 4 years at the end of April. Looking forward to seeing you, Stan, Joe, Tom Anderson, and the rest of the gang. Thanks for putting it together once again. Looking forward to it!! Jed
Fefferfly

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

Anyone out there who is coming to the gathering have a Leonard 48-4, or a 48-5 they’d be willing to bring? I guess a pre-fire 48 would also be helpful. Finally, a Marc Aroner version of the 48-4 or 48-5 would be great. Thanks, Jed
Fefferfly

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

Hi all, just one month left until the Gathering! Join a fun group of makers, collectors, enthusiasts and the curious for casting, fishing, buy/sell/trade/admire, good food and good craic. For those who wish to learn more about bamboo rods, and the various styles/makers/tapers, this is your chance!

If you're attending and you haven't made your reservation, now is the time! The Lodge is holding a block of rooms for us which will be released on Friday. See original post for info, or contact me directly. PM here or paul@brooktrout.fishing

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone! The weather should be great, the fishing has been excellent, and lots of old and new friends will be in attendance.

Again, PM here or paul@brooktrout.fishing if you need more info.

kbf64

Post by kbf64 »

I live relatively close by, is the event itself free?

kbf64

Post by kbf64 »

Was at the park yesterday, it's a bug factory right now, things are heating up, be ready to set soon as the fly hits the water, with the warmer water these fish are like greased lightning....

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

kbf64 wrote:
04/13/23 07:48
I live relatively close by, is the event itself free?
Yes, you're welcome to stop in for as long as you like, and folks do all day long. The Lodge provides our gathering room and their expansive grounds for free, in exchange for most of us lodging and eating there. So it'd be nice if you had supper with us, or bought a sandwich at the Syria Mercantile, just to show them a little support. But not required.

Note that the Gathering is held in Poplar Lodge, a separate building on the grounds. It's not visible from the main lodge so look for directional signs to either Blue Ridge Bamboo or Poplar Lodge, there should be both.

Looking forward to seeing everyone. There are some tackle treasures in store, you'll have to attend to find out what they are. See you soon!

https://www.gravesmountain.com/?gad=1&g ... gIaefD_BwE

https://www.gravesmountain.com/resort-s ... ark-poplar

reelsmith
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by reelsmith »

Short Tip wrote:
04/20/23 08:36
... some tackle treasures
Tackle treasures. I like it ! :)

Dean.

spruce grouse
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by spruce grouse »

kbf64 wrote:
04/20/23 07:48
Was at the park yesterday, it's a bug factory right now, things are heating up, be ready to set soon as the fly hits the water, with the warmer water these fish are like greased lightning....
What’s going on in the way of hatches? Asking for a friend (Fred Thomas).

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

reelsmith wrote:
04/21/23 09:09
Short Tip wrote:
04/20/23 08:36
... some tackle treasures
Tackle treasures. I like it ! :)

Dean.
Freudian slip! Disclaimer: "Tackle Treasures" is copyright 1990, by the Reelsmith Division of Dean Smith Industries, LLC. Used without permission!

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

spruce grouse wrote:
04/21/23 09:37
kbf64 wrote:
The chickens and bluebirds are on the nest.

As far as bugs go, plenty of caddis, blue quill type jobbies, the first yellow sallies. Waiting on March Browns, Hendricksons. Full report tomorrow.

I suggest you fill a box with Parachute Adams!

kbf64

Post by kbf64 »

spruce grouse wrote:
kbf64 wrote:

kbf64

Post by kbf64 »

They will still eat anything that sort of looks like a bug, I have a hard time finding a dry fly they won't take. Was there Monday with my son, and saw fish dolphin rising looked like eating emergers. But they will still rise for most stimulators.

Since the water has warmed I've noticed that they move much quicker than when I was fishing a few months ago. Actually, I've been fishing dries about once a week since Thanksgiving weekend on different waters in the park. I actually prefer the colder months, as you see few hikers or fishermen.

Was also there Tuesday and did a couple of miles "off-trail" along one river, I got really exhausted hiking up hill in the river but I did find a few really cool spots including a potential back-country campsite about .4 miles on one river from the trail. Only saw two hikers, no fishermen, it was during the work week however.

I would say fish the more popular streams Friday, then choose another lesser known drainage on the weekend days. If you for example go to the hughes river on Saturday, expect to negotiate with anglers a few times as to who's fishing up or down stream. Personally, I steer clear of the rapidan river on the weekends... get there early if you choose a very well known stream.

spruce grouse
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by spruce grouse »

Short Tip wrote:
04/21/23 09:58
spruce grouse wrote:
kbf64 wrote:
The chickens and bluebirds are on the nest.

As far as bugs go, plenty of caddis, blue quill type jobbies, the first yellow sallies. Waiting on March Browns, Hendricksons. Full report tomorrow.

I suggest you fill a box with Parachute Adams!
What happened to the full report?

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

spruce grouse wrote:
04/23/23 18:13

What happened to the full report?
Um, uh, I think kbf64 gave a pretty good synopsis.

Went up on Friday, the hot day. It was about 7 degrees cooler where I fished than in the lowlands. Water was 60 degrees F and low. (On Saturday, we only got .5 inches here, hoping there was more rain across the mountains.)

I fished from 3pm til late. Fish were active in the shade all day. Andy and Stan arrived earlier and tagged a few nice sized fish. I caught mostly dinks but a few good ones.

Some sparse March Browns and caddis were in the air. A nice cloud of yellow stoneflies appeared at dusk. The fish did not seem impressed.

All in all, the fishing is very good and the fish quite active. A stealthy approach is vital to get the better fish, something I'm having problems with because of my back. Successful flies were para Adams, tan caddis, yellow caddis (stonefly), Patriot, and Red Humpy, a fly I rarely use but it jumped into my hand, I tied it on and caught fish.

Cooler temps and some rain chances this week. The rain is desperately needed. The fishing will be good for the Gathering regardless, but I fear for the summer if we don't get rain soon.

czkid
Administrator

Post by czkid »

Good luck guys!!! All of us at Bamboo Bash hope you have at least half the fun we did this year. Continue to support your gathering and say hi from all of us.

Ralph (czkid)

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

czkid wrote:
04/24/23 11:24
Good luck guys!!! All of us at Bamboo Bash hope you have at least half the fun we did this year. Continue to support your gathering and say hi from all of us.

Ralph (czkid)
Thank you Ralph! All reports are that your shindig was a blast this year! Now that I'm retired, I'm hoping that I can do both next year.

I'm just finishing packing up, the Tacoma is low on the springs with its load of rods and reels. It's been a good year. Also, I'll have a bunch of great ephemera including catalogs from Payne, Hawes, Leonard, Mills, Edwards, Carlson, etc... and boxes of reel cases, rod bags, tube bags etc. Much needed rain is in the forecast but Saturday looks clear for casting, fishing, and fun. Rain or shine, there is plenty to do and see so don't miss it!
Last edited by Short Tip on 04/30/23 20:29, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Gatherings and Shows”