Who makes a good folding knife?

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Who makes a good folding knife?

Post by Caneghost »

Benchmade Knives are hard to beat.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

bamboo
Master Guide

Post by bamboo »

I have quite a few brands of folding knives. My favorites by far are Case. Made in the USA, great quality, many models to choose from , good price & they last. Have one in my pocket everyday. bottom row in my collection are all CASE.

bamboo....mike

Mike N
Master Guide

Post by Mike N »

I just spent the morning sharpening my outdoor knives. The only questions I ever have when buying a knife are :

1.) Where was the steel for the blade made? and,

2.) Can it keep an edge and resharpen to a good edge?

I usually pay up for a handmade/forged knife.

A barnful of cheap, dull pocket knives that won’t quickly cut a piece of rope, are usually worth about what you paid for them.

Mike N.
Mike N.
Founder, Old Reel Collectors Association (ORCA)
Member, NFLCC & FATC
Vintage Orvis collector

ctwhite
Guide

Post by ctwhite »

I took an item from the gizmo/gadget thread and sharpened my good folding knife. Two for one...

ImageIMG_4498 (1) by Craig White, on Flickr

alberta al
Master Guide

Post by alberta al »

I have always had good luck with Spyderco delicas and Boker pocket knives, the one in my pocket right now is a Boker canoe.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

I go along with those who recommend Case for a good value knife and Buck for a somewhat more expensive but very good quality blade. I have a nephew who makes knives on his own forge and though not cheap his quality is there and handmade is always a plus for me. I also have a sheath knife made by a different friend that is quality and holds an edge through abuse and again, handmade (like bamboo rods) is always a plus to me.

Igloo lake
Sport

Post by Igloo lake »

Check out the Williams Knife company. All US made and they run some great deals at times!!

RymanType
Guide

Post by RymanType »

I would say depends largely on the style (classic or modern) you prefer to carry. Case preferred for me, the mini trapper or larger 4 blade congress.

Benchmade is another great option. I carried the mini griptilian for several years but much prefer the classic style

corlay
Master Guide

Post by corlay »

not “heirloom quality”,
but Ive been satisfied with Opinel
(stainless and/or carbon steel blade)

Capt. Frank
Master Guide

Post by Capt. Frank »

Kershaws are good, Benchmades are tempered better.

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

I carry a Benchmade Automatic for work purposes, but have most of the brands listed above. One that wasn't mentioned and is high on the value, bang-for-the-buck is CRKT....Columbia River Knife and Tool. They have a lot of nice designs, many from partnership with famous knife makers, and they won't break the bank.

flyroder72
Sport

Post by flyroder72 »

Just keep your swiss army knife and get a Work Sharp knife sharpener. Whichever knife I carry, it has a razors edge.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

A few years ago, I splurged for a Benchmade Bugout. They are available with multiple types of blade steel, but all are very high quality and remain sharp and are easy to sharpen. It clips to the top of your pocket and is so comfortable that you'll forget that you are carrying it. It is also available in a mini version. I would sell a spare reel and buy another one in a heartbeat if circumstance wouldn't support a purchase.

My case folding Trapper model from the 70's has been regulated to opening packaging boxes (usually continuing rods or reels) and never gets carried.

Holland
Master Guide

Post by Holland »

Benchmade

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

I love Benchmade, but I am hesitant to have one for EDC, since they cost so much and there's always a chance of losing one out of my pocket. I don't hesitate to have one in my truck, but that isn't exactly EDC. I have a Kershaw that I carry in my pocket or in my briefcase. If I lose that I will just buy another one and call it a day.

twistedtippet
Guide

Post by twistedtippet »

I've been carrying this Buck for about 60 years now, they don't make them like this anymore.

The other ones were gifts, maybe to be used when I wear out the Buck

------------------------------------------------------
Even the blind squirrel gets an occasional nut.

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

I have a Kershaw onion, very like the one you have pictured at the top (don't see the sliding blade lock at the bottom though). I love it for the blade lock that keeps it from opening in my pocket and it wasn't expensive, but is a great knife. Correction, just looked and they are more expensive than I remember getting mine for (moved it to the briefcase after I looked at the price).
Last edited by Canewrap on 01/01/23 18:53, edited 1 time in total.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I have a Kershaw spring assist I like. I, like everyone have several knives; Bucks, cases, etc. Ebay has some chaep ass spring assist Buck/Case lookalike 'Buckshot' knives that are pretty darn nice. Look'em over though.

Jay Edwards

mikeinri
Guide

Post by mikeinri »

Buck knives are my favorite. The 110 model is perfect. They have a custom shop on their site and you can choose blade type and handle material etc. they have lifetime warranty. And they are amazing at sharpening and only charge 6.95 including shipping.

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

I just bought a Flissa Mini Pocket Knife (2.5 inch blade) for EDC and I am loving it. Perfect size for the pocket (like thick feel to it), opens 1 hand, has substantial little blade, and only cost 20 bucks. I love the much more expensive knives, but I have lost a pocketknife or two over the years and would rather not spend north of $100 and then lose it someday.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”