Who makes a good folding knife?

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

CL65
Sport

Re: Who makes a good folding knife?

Post by CL65 »

The problem with folding knives is the same as the problem we have with fly rods. There are too many nice knives out there, it is impossible for me to own just one. The Swiss Army knife which was mentioned is a great choice, reasonably priced, an excellent blade that is easy to sharpen and a number of different models to choose from. I also like Spyderco Knives, they use quite a few different and excellent knife steels to make their knives. A lot of good suggestions have been made by others.

dublhaul
Sport

Post by dublhaul »

I'd agree that for the money, it's hard to beat Benchmade. I like the Mini-Griptilian, but, even within Benchmade, there are plenty of options in blade shape, length, steel, etc. And different types of "actions" (opening/locking).

There are virtually infinite options relative to makers, steel types, blade designs, and of course cost.

My daily carry pocket knife is a Victorinox Tinkerer. Has been for around 50 years (the same one). The steel is rust-proof, the variety of tools fits my needs, and it fits in my pocket neatly. Is it a rugged, tough knife? Not really. It's about average, the steel is OK, not the best for holding an edge, but OK. And did I mention rust-proof? I use the screwdriver a lot, but you can't put the torque on it that you can a real screwdriver. Also the tweezers (believe it or not; e.g., picking splinters out of the grandkids). But I also almost always carry the Benchmade too.

And I confess to having bought a couple of semi-custom folders that I carefully avoid telling my wife about, or at least disclosing the cost.

Preaching to the choir, but keep them sharp. If you don't have one, get a sharpener that maintains an angle (Lansky, Work Sharp, etc). I've sharpened knifes freehand for many years, and a good friend pointed out that it's a rare person that can maintain a fixed angle consistently, on both sides of the blade. He was right. My knives got sharp faster, and stayed sharp longer. YMMV. And keep the grit out, and the hinge oiled. The blade too, if not rust-proof. Enjoy!

tiptop
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by tiptop »

I haven't bought a new knife in 20 years but this thread sparked my interest and I did a bit of youtube investigation. I ended up ordering a Civivi mini-Praxis and am amazed at the quality for $30. I have several high quality Benchmade and Kershaw knives and this cheap knife compares favorably and in some ways is nicer. The $50 Civivi Elementum is highly rated too.

Sandan
Guide

Post by Sandan »

Benchmade mini barrage. Couple of Pro Tech autos and a ZT. Zero Tolerance makes some great folders.

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

A Microtech Socom Elite Auto is my every day carry knife; however, a Victorinox Compact model is always in my vest. The key to all Swiss Army knives is too keep them sharp all the time. Their steel is not that hard and they lose an edge quickly but they also take a good edge quickly with an Arkansas stone or a easy-does-it approach with a diamond stone (which I use).

Every once in a while I will kill and eat a Trout but it's almost always when I'm backpacking in the Smokies. Quite frankly, I can't remember the last time I killed a fish...years ago. The Victorinox Compact works well gutting the fishing...I don't filet Trout.

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

Carbon steel or stainless?

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

Brier549 wrote:
12/22/22 08:51
Kershaw ( Ken Onion design speedsafe )
Thanks for the recommendation with the Kershaw Orion design. I picked up a smaller folding blade knife and love it.

Bohemian Bob

Kenneth
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Kenneth »

Coming late to the conversation, but I thought I'd give a shout out to Buck, based on my experience with my beloved 446C that I bought on sale, at a whim, from the K-Mart in Guam in 1995. No frills thermoplastic handle, stainless steel blade, super-utilitarian look.

Since then I've used it for practically everything, skinning wild boar and other assorted wildlife, filleting fish, rescuing turtles and coral reefs from abandoned nets, cutting down a small tree (it did it, although it took a looong time), etc. It's still my current dive knife.

Once sharpened, stays sharp for a long time, and after years of abuse and saltwater immersion (carefully rinsed after each dive), is still rust-free, which I find quite incredible.

If I somehow lose this, I'd get another on EBay, I like it so much.

MY EDC is a tiny Gerber Dime, very useful at work (I'm an I.T. Administrator), especially the pliers and tweezers. The plastic-packaging knife, which I initially thought was a gimmick, also works real well. Pocket dynamite of an EDC, if you ask me. Prefer it to any Swiss Army Knife, have several, with my previous EDC being the Signature.

Good luck on your hunt,
Kenneth

Fishinfool01

Post by Fishinfool01 »

Late reply- I just saw this. I’m a blue water sailor, having done many long distance passages. Recently Hawaii to Anacortes, WA. I’ll be sailing around the cape of hood Hope later this year.

I found this company that makes the VERY BEST knives I’ve ever found.
https://www.boyeknives.com/
Check their test results. Expensive, but when you really need a knife that will cut, period, this is it! I have two - one on my PFD, and one on my belt. I bought the serrated round nose blade. Never wash it, never even had to sharpen it so far.

Good luck!

JabaliHunter
Guide

Post by JabaliHunter »

Spyderco - Pacific Salt

gclark
Sport

Post by gclark »

TipTop,
Thanks for the pocket knife recommendation. I just got a Civivi Mini-Praxis in the mail today, and as you said, it is really amazing! $30…WOW, what a great value for a D2 steel, G-10 scales, blade just under 3” long (Imported from China). Same day, I also received a Buck 285 Bantam $25, 3-1/8” blade, 420HC Bos heat treated blade, glass-reinforced nylon handle, assembled in USA. Both very sharp out of the box. Buck 420HC steel is hard to beat in this price range, but the fit-finish & operation doesn’t hold a candle compared to the Mini-Praxis. The Buck is not smooth operating at all, very rough & difficult to open. Blade is not centered when closed.
The Civivi, a flipper type knife, due to the ceramic bearing mechanism, opens & closes easily and smoothly. Blade is perfectly centered. Sorry to say, the Buck 285 is gonna go away, as my new everyday carry will now be the Civivi Mini-Praxis.
gClark
tiptop wrote:
01/04/23 09:13
I haven't bought a new knife in 20 years but this thread sparked my interest and I did a bit of youtube investigation. I ended up ordering a Civivi mini-Praxis and am amazed at the quality for $30. I have several high quality Benchmade and Kershaw knives and this cheap knife compares favorably and in some ways is nicer. The $50 Civivi Elementum is highly rated too.

Bamboo Don
Guide

Post by Bamboo Don »

Case makes some of the nicest Damascus packets knifes and at a good price

Jaimec
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Jaimec »

I have an old KaBar folding knife that I was given and like quite a lot.
Jaime
"Custom Made Silk Fly Lines, Tenkara and Furled Leaders, Hand Made in the USA"

carlz
Guide

Post by carlz »

Just don't visit the blade forum.

Soon you will be collecting $500 knives and lusting after the $2000 knives.

I would love a Chris Reeves Mnandi.

But I carry a Spyderco or Benchmade, or vintage slip joint.

tiptop
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by tiptop »

"Just don't visit the blade forum."

+2 Some of those collectors make the high end cane rod collectors look like pikers. :eek

JohnMD1022
Master Guide

Post by JohnMD1022 »

My EDC is a Queen Cutlery Barlow with fake stag handles.

I have the upgrade with smooth blue bone, but it stays home, as it cannot be replaced..

The Beat and son 5aok push buttons are great as as areCase, Old Timers, etc.

A sodbuster or equivalent is always great in a back pocket.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”