Ferrule Question

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Flyguy24

Ferrule Question

Post by Flyguy24 »

I am in process of trying to refinish an old Winchester 6045 and am in need of a ferrule. I am kinda new to this and don’t know all the terminology but I need the top ferrule on the middle blank. The inside measurement of the female end that connects to the bottom of the third blank needs to be about 4.0 mm.

Is this findable?

bamboo rodley
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Ferrule Question

Post by bamboo rodley »

Ferrules are commonly measured in 64th's of an inch. So a number 12 ferrule will generally have a 12/64 diameter or 3/16", about .187 with a digital caliper. Some styles of ferrules are calibrated differently, I think. I also am not an expert on all the intricacies of ferrule sizes. Anyway, are you looking for the ferrule set(male and female), or just the female. You also need to consider the length of the male portion of the ferrule that engages the female portion, so that the female ferrule you purchase allows the male ferrule to seat fully. To answer your basic question, yes, you should be able to a find suitable ferrule or ferrule set for the rod. Figure out the specs of the ferrule you need, and run a WTB ad in the classified section.

Flyguy24

Post by Flyguy24 »

Thanks a lot. I’ll try and get it figured out and post it. I only need the female.

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

You'll need to bite the bullet and replace the entire ferrule. The chance of you finding a decent fitting replacement male or female alone is 0.0% in my opinion. For that rod, there are reasonably priced new ferrules that won't be a perfect match to the originals but will make the rod fishable again.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”