Who are the top few modern makers to consider?

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Brier549
Guide

Re: Who are the top few modern makers to consider?

Post by Brier549 »

+1 on Dennis Menscher !!!!! His work is impeccable and visiting his shop is like going to a museum of fly rod building! Plus his prices don’t require a second mortgage.

Random Casts
Master Guide

Post by Random Casts »

Happy New Year everyone!

There are quite a few “hobbyists” out there that can produce outstanding cane blanks replicating many of the classic makers. In some cases the guide wraps and varnish work is excellent. But here lies the difference; makers like Aroner, Per Brandin, Robert Bolt, aside from snake guides, strip guides and tip tops, manufacture everything else in their shops.

I know that Marc Aroner makes his own reel seats and N/S fittings including ferrule plugs, bags are sewn by Susan, his rod tubes are substantial and are a thing of beauty. His varnish work is impeccable. His wait time can be painful unless you are looking for a rod he is currently doing a run on, like the Spinoza.

So we go from someone who can make a fine blank and then outsources all the ready made fittings to some one who does it all. Is there anything inherently wrong with that? I say no. There are some really excellent cane rods out there. And bonus, they are usually affordable and available within a reasonable wait time. This gives the person delving into the bamboo market a great opportunity to experience some of the classic tapers without the hefty price tag and interminable wait time associated with the likes of Marc, Per or Tim Abbott.

The question that remains is; is the difference in cost worth it? Only the guy in the middle of the stream waving around a stick made from grass can tell you.

Richard, the Fishin’ Pole 🇵🇱
Random Casts

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

As mentioned this questions surfaces on a regularly basis. There are many good quality bamboo rod makers at work in this country and abroad currently (I started a list and quickly exceeded 42 names). Your question needs refinement to satisfy an answer. You will find many of the quality makers have a limited yearly production and the demand exceeds their supply of new rods. There are some builders who do not take orders, you need to find them and then massage a relationship and rod out of them. If one does not want this, the secondary market is a choice to go to find what you are looking for.

1) Price; How much are you willing to spend? less than $1,000, $2,000, $3,000, $4,000?

Say you want a Paul H. Young Driggs or a Payne 102: One can find great quality rods in these tapers new for $1,000. If you want it from a "named" builder you would move up into the $2-3000 range. If you are looking for a quality hollow build, then you have to know more about the kind of taper/action you are looking for and you move up into the $3-5000 range. Again through the secondary market you may achieve an economy in time and cost.

You must understand there are builders who would like to earn $25-50 dollars per hours for their work, which they are justly entitled to and then there are builders who just build without any notion of profit in their efforts. This is a hard concept to absorb for some folks. The retired person in their basement who gets a thrill from just building with their hands as perfect a rod they can with no regard as to the time spent, then are humbled and please that anyone might buy one of their creations, is an aspect of this craft to consider.

2) How long are you willing to wait to receive a rod?

There are builders with 5 year waiting lists. Builders not taking orders any more (wink, wink). And, builders who can put a rod in your hand in less than a year. And, again the secondary market is instant gratification.

3) What length and action are you specifically looking for?

4) Are you looking for a classic solid taper rod or the newer hollow build tapers?

5) Is "investment/return" a factor in your search?

6) For some people vanity comes into play. Do you have a need to best your friends or impress people with your acquisition and use of the rod?

On all of the above the old adage, "Chance favors the prepared mind.", is the best mantra to have in this pursuit.

Best,

Carl @ Wanigas Rod Company

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

I’d handle enough rods till you get an understanding of the action and look that speak to you. House made hardware and mirror varnish jobs made zero-difference if you don’t like the action/feel or general aesthetics.

RWHoffhines
Master Guide

Post by RWHoffhines »

Homer Jennings, Don Schroeder, Tim Abbott, Eric Heckman, Glenn Brackett...all contemporaries who have influenced and helped me. So MANY (too man to list without leaving someone out) more I just plain admire. And coming up are the younger guys coming on now: Carpenter, Reid etc., all making terrifyingly epic rods.

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

I would suggest, once you narrow down your list, getting to know the rod makers a bit. I know a few and consider them good friends. It's a pleasure taking a rod out made by a friend and spending a lifetime on the water with it.
I want to be buried with my favorite rod.
I hear the Styx River has Fish.

One&Duns
Guide

Post by One&Duns »

red 1 wrote:
01/02/23 11:48
I would suggest, once you narrow down your list, getting to know the rod makers a bit. I know a few and consider them good friends. It's a pleasure taking a rod out made by a friend and spending a lifetime on the water with it.
I wish I could've done this - would've been ideal. It's more valuable than the price tag or resale value. (I was too far a way to go fishing with them and with phone calls and e-mails, I always felt like I was bothering them.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

FWIW, I have a problem with questions that ask to designate a "top few" of anything. Subjective opinions are just that--someone's personal preferences.

Trouble is, no matter how many opinions are posted in this thread, MANY excellent rod makers will be left out. That's not fair, IMHO.

Also, how many potential posters really know each rod maker they prefer or, for that matter, the products of those they leave out?
Be very careful here...

Scott Z.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

One&Duns wrote:
01/02/23 12:47
red 1 wrote:
01/02/23 11:48
I wish I could've done this - would've been ideal. It's more valuable than the price tag or resale value. (I was too far a way to go fishing with them and with phone calls and e-mails, I always felt like I was bothering them.
I don't think I'm overstating it that I've become friends with the two rodmakers I've worked with the past several years...that element really adds to the intangible value we love about our bamboo rods. It's fun corresponding with them, meeting them at gatherings and checking out their latest rods hot off the bench. I kind of consider it similar to working with a breeder of fine upland pointing dogs when you have a puppy coming from a litter....same kind of anticipation and excitement as it gets closer to bringing it home.

Bill Terry
Guide

Post by Bill Terry »

Andy Rubey (rubeyrods.com) should be included among current makers of first-rate rods. I have four of them.

I bought the first one off the rack at Mike Clark's shop in Lyons, where there are usually one or two in stock. I had him build the next two to order, and I bought the fourth from his on-hand inventory to meet an upcoming need.

His craftsmanship is equal to anybody's, his prices are reasonable (but increasing), and he will work with you to produce whatever action you desire and fit your rod with a variety of other options. His wait times for custom rods are not long. He builds in small batches, and if one of his uncommitted rods in process fits your needs, it can be yours in a few weeks. Otherwise, you'll have to wait until his next batch.

He is also a pleasure to work with.
Ad piscatoribus sunt omnes res secundi.

kermit
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kermit »

I'm with you on Andy. His craftsmanship is first rate. Andy and I live in New Mexico. When Andy was loooking to start making rods, he took my class here in Santa FE. He has taken his own path. Now Andy has become one of the true master rod makers of current times.
Zia Rods Brochure
www.ziarods.com

Walkfar
Sport

Post by Walkfar »

Lots of great suggestions there, including many from owners with far more experience than mine. I’ve been very happy with rods from both Don Schroeder and Art Weiler - excellent craftsmen and very reasonably priced.

SecondHandWolf
Guide

Post by SecondHandWolf »

I think it depends on the action/taper you want. For a parabolic in the Paul Young vein, I would choose J.L. Bradley, Chris Carlin, or Walter Babb (in Tenn). For a medium to med-fast progressive, again Bradley, Carlin, or Robert Bolt. For a fast-action progressive, aka dry, fly Bill Blackburn, Don Schroeder, or James Reames. Be assured that all these rodmakers are gentlemen, interested in their customers, and would be a great help in selecting which of their rods would best suit your fishing. Also, the wait times and prices would be much more mainstream than some others, such as Per Brandin.

Here is a link to a list for the websites of most of the above: https://splitcaneinfo.com/?page_id=26

Best wishes for your search.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

blackdog wrote:
01/01/23 17:10
Don Schroeder is one of the best makers of bamboo rods. I have two of his rods and highly recommend him.

Yes!

alberta al
Master Guide

Post by alberta al »

I would second Mike Clark. He makes a great rod.

I would also add Rob Hoffhines to the list. His rods are excellent.

What about Harry Boyd, he would rank right up there too.

Alan

gaddis
Master Guide

Post by gaddis »

One maker from my area whose rods I would be proud to own is Chuck Neuner. I have never cast one of his rods, but I’ve seen them up close and the workmanship is impeccable.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Suggestion to the moderator of this section to lock or remove this topic.

This topic has become a 'name any maker you would like to own of one his rods'....

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

Just a winter blather fest, harmless really, a whole lot of very good maker's nowadays, so many that they can't all make the list. I guess it ends up being every ones favorite rodmaker, it gives posters something to do.

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

Seems to me your question is a bit like asking "What car should I buy?" Everyone has their favorite(s) and you're highly unlikely to discover a consensus. I suggest you watch the announcements here for bamboo rod gatherings and try to go to one or more in your area. You'll be able to see, feel and cast a variety of rods, talk to other bamboo rod fans, get information and a sense of price ranges. That will give you a better start than an online discussion like this.

Cimarron
Guide

Post by Cimarron »

Yes, I am happy with all my rods and could name all their makers here. But I am glad to see some of the information and a few names I had not known or appreciated. It helps me to broaden my knowledge and perspective. Even a “blather fest” can be useful.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”