Who are the top few modern makers to consider?

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Who are the top few modern makers to consider?

Post by teter »

ibookje wrote:
01/03/23 01:46
Suggestion to the moderator of this section to lock or remove this topic.

This topic has become a 'name any maker you would like to own of one his rods'....
On what grounds would a moderator "lock or remove" this topic?

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

I always looked at it this way. The top makers to be considered are those that when you purchase one of their rods new and go to sell it after a couple years of fishing it, you lose the least amount of money. I can only think of about 1/2 dozen or so that fit that bill.

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

16pmd wrote:
01/03/23 14:39
Seems to me your question is a bit like asking "What car should I buy?" Everyone has their favorite(s) and you're highly unlikely to discover a consensus. I suggest you watch the announcements here for bamboo rod gatherings and try to go to one or more in your area. You'll be able to see, feel and cast a variety of rods, talk to other bamboo rod fans, get information and a sense of price ranges. That will give you a better start than an online discussion like this.
I'm pretty sure that everyone would agree on a Toyota Tacoma... :rollin

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

Toyota Tacoma +1

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

Tommasini wrote:Toyota Tacoma +1
+2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peales
Master Guide

Post by Peales »

I always looked at it this way. The top makers to be considered are those that when you purchase one of their rods new and go to sell it after a couple years of fishing it, you lose the least amount of money. I can only think of about 1/2 dozen or so that fit that bill.
Yep.

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Topics like this always made me think of Jeff Wagner's "The Grand Poobah". If you've never read it, it's worth the read.

http://wagnerrods.com/poobah.html
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

SpringCreek wrote:
01/05/23 15:33
Topics like this always made me think of Jeff Wagner's "The Grand Poobah". If you've never read it, it's worth the read.

Thanks for that which I enjoyed and had not read before.

One question worth addressing is why so many rods by top (by reputation) makers come on to the resale market as "in mint condition", "probably lawn cast only, if at all, never fished", "only used a few times" etc. etc. Surely a better recommendation would be comments like "well used but well cared for" or "re-finished" showing that someone, at least, thought this was a rod worth fishing with.

driftless angler
Master Guide

Post by driftless angler »

Yes Godfroy, I can't wrap my head around that one; the number of expensive rods for sale that are lawn cast only. I can't comprehend not fishing a rod I have obtained, that is how I really determine how much I like the rod, not in the backyard. How does it roll cast, play a fish, protect tippet, zip a fly under the alders, etc. Does the rod cast so poorly in the backyard that it never makes it to the stream? I would hope it did not cast poorly for the money someone paid for it, but would I want to risk paying $1000-$2000 for a rod that wasn't the original buyers "cup of tea." Maybe if it was an established taper.

And then, like a new car losing 20% just driving it off the lot, that single lawn casting session usually cost the original buyer quite a bit of money.

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

driftless angler wrote:
01/05/23 19:46
Yes Godfroy, I can't wrap my head around that one; the number of expensive rods for sale that are lawn cast only. I can't comprehend not fishing a rod I have obtained, that is how I really determine how much I like the rod, not in the backyard. How does it roll cast, play a fish, protect tippet, zip a fly under the alders, etc. Does the rod cast so poorly in the backyard that it never makes it to the stream? I would hope it did not cast poorly for the money someone paid for it, but would I want to risk paying $1000-$2000 for a rod that wasn't the original buyers "cup of tea." Maybe if it was an established taper.

And then, like a new car losing 20% just driving it off the lot, that single lawn casting session usually cost the original buyer quite a bit of money.
hello, any not-too-severely piscator, angler, et c. an cast a willow stick, or broom stick well enough to catch fish. our fly fishing section of the sport may possibly be a little too elitist to be sensible, may be not fun for some not for all.
regards, jim w

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

SpringCreek wrote:

A masterpiece in the annals of angling literature. Any idea of the identity of the Grand Poobah?

joep
Master Guide

Post by joep »

Godfroy wrote:
01/05/23 18:20
SpringCreek wrote:

Thanks for that which I enjoyed and had not read before.

One question worth addressing is why so many rods by top (by reputation) makers come on to the resale market as "in mint condition", "probably lawn cast only, if at all, never fished", "only used a few times" etc. etc. Surely a better recommendation would be comments like "well used but well cared for" or "re-finished" showing that someone, at least, thought this was a rod worth fishing with.
It allows me to pick up stuff at a discount so i am all for it. :) I have bought some nice rods from dealers that should have been fished. I bought some simroes and taylors lawn cast only still with plastic and paper on the grip that are awesome.

joep
Master Guide

Post by joep »

Bill Terry wrote:
01/02/23 14:08
Andy Rubey (rubeyrods.com) should be included among current makers of first-rate rods. I have four of them.

I have been looking at his work and after this post i pulled the trigger. What a wonderful guy and his rods look first class. He is around my age which is nice because i will be able to buy some rod from him for a while. I ordered a 3/2 7' 4wt for throwing dry droppers in small Pa streams for wild trout. I talked to him for about 45 minutes and couldn't be nicer. From the looks of his rods and the feedback i have heard he is going to be one of the top guys in the coming decades if he continues on.

salmonid1
Guide

Post by salmonid1 »

Don Schroeder, Jim Downes, Jeff Wagner. Both Schroeder and Wagner on the secondary market are great values; Jim Downes, new a great value and even better on the secondary market. C. Lisella. www.jordan-millsrodco.com.

JabaliHunter
Guide

Post by JabaliHunter »

Edward Barder Rod Co. in the U.K. deserve to be on any list of top rod makers

archt
Sport

Post by archt »

I have a very soft spot for Bob Summers, having bought my first modern cane rod, a 735 from him many years ago. The second was his 856; both are beautiful and should be fished more. Most recently I bought a 7'4" Midge from him, which I look forward to fishing this year. Another choice is Bill Oyster, who builds beautiful fly rods that started (I believe) with Dickinson tapers, but have been improved in many ways. I don't like excessive engraving on flyrods or shotguns, but admire Bill's ability. He is also a phenomenal teacher; anyone who wants to build his/her own rod should sign up for his week long class. It's the best.

Everyone should be aware that making a good bamboo rod takes about 40 hours to complete, and the hardware, fittings, handle cork, etc. are expensive. You get generally what you pay for.

Horton Creek
Guide

Post by Horton Creek »

Lots of great builders. Find one close to you and go visit their shop if possible. Most rod owners I know who have high regards for makers are those whom they have met personally and have established a relationship beyond vendor client. They are friends. Who doesn't want to fish a rod made by a friend?

para_adams
Master Guide

Post by para_adams »

The PNW has its own strong tradition of bamboo rod making with very good builders. I apologize for all the excellent PNW makers I'm not mentioning, but three I know well are all great examples of modern makers and wonderful folks too.

Chris Carlin's work is superb with wonderful finish quality and a broad range of both traditional tapers and custom tapers well-suited to fishing larger fish larger waters in the PNW.

Dave Dozer, of Sisters OR, is flying under the radar but his rods have a simple beauty that is very appealing and he is very attuned to making his tapers just right.

Dave is also passing along the torch, so to speak, by apprenticing Olivia Elia, a younger, newer rod maker. Elia earned a degree in art from UCLA prior to getting into rod making. She has an artist's eye and a craftsman's heart. When not making bamboo rods she helps build $8,000 - $20,000 acoustic guitars at Preston Thompson that are played by Billy Strings and Molly Tuttle.

The tradition of craftsmanship in bamboo rod making is alive and well here in the PNW.

Pterrano
Sport

Post by Pterrano »

para_adams wrote:
02/08/23 09:40
The PNW has its own strong tradition of bamboo rod making with very good builders. I apologize for all the excellent PNW makers I'm not mentioning, but three I know well are all great examples of modern makers and wonderful folks too.

Chris Carlin's work is superb with wonderful finish quality and a broad range of both traditional tapers and custom tapers well-suited to fishing larger fish larger waters in the PNW.

Dave Dozer, of Sisters OR, is flying under the radar but his rods have a simple beauty that is very appealing and he is very attuned to making his tapers just right.

Dave is also passing along the torch, so to speak, by apprenticing Olivia Elia, a younger, newer rod maker. Elia earned a degree in art from UCLA prior to getting into rod making. She has an artist's eye and a craftsman's heart. When not making bamboo rods she helps build $8,000 - $20,000 acoustic guitars at Preston Thompson that are played by Billy Strings and Molly Tuttle.

The tradition of craftsmanship in bamboo rod making is alive and well here in the PNW.
I cut my teeth making Oboes and English Horns for Laubin- it's incredible the parallels between handmade instruments and bamboo rods. Not familiar with her rods but I'd bet she's someone to look out for.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

I have watched for a couple of names to come up and surprisingly haven't. For build quality and willing to work with you a couple of my favorite rods have been from Alan Kube and Jeff Hatton (Gnome). Both are masters of the craft and may or may not still be taking orders. If they are they definitely should be considered.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”