Oak Creek, Sedona, AZ

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Drossi
Master Guide

Oak Creek, Sedona, AZ

Post by Drossi »

I have an opportunity to fish Oak Creek near Sedona when I'm out there in the 3rd week of June. It's likely going to be a guided wade trip

I suppose what I'm really after is some intel on the stream and fishery in general from those that might be familiar with it. It looks like small(er) stream fishing from what I see on-line in both pictures and video, is that accurate? Most info I can find says that it's stocked with rainbows but also has wild browns and some wild rainbows. What length and weight rod would be most practical?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Oak Creek, Sedona, AZ

Post by rsagebrush »

It's a creek indeed, so use the rods you like to use on creeks. Very pretty area but I haven't fished it since spring of 2004, most likely gets unmercifully hammered nowadays, there has been a lot of growth since then. Should be getting pretty hot by then too.

bamboo slinger
Sport

Post by bamboo slinger »

We had some good snow lately. Hope it keeps coming so we can fish this summer. Last summer had some bad forest fires. The forest gets closed to public access sometimes here if too dry. So June is way out to tell you much now. Fun little creek with some hidden nice fish. Mostly stockers, sorry. I like fishing it now due to no other's fishing. Really not big enough to wade fish, I normally just wear wading boots. Let me know just before you come out. I have a friend that guides down there.

bamboo slinger
Sport

Post by bamboo slinger »

Oh forgot, I like a little 6' to 6 1/2" 3/4 wt. Been using a little Lew Parks and D. Stone boo. Steffen glass, well they are my fishing buds and from here. Mark moved off to OK?!? Tim still here. They made a rod they called Arizona Series, love that little stick! 3/4 wt 6' 1/2" 3 pc. Maybe Shane with Graywolf will make them.

Drossi
Master Guide

Post by Drossi »

Thanks for the intel folks. :)

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

Been there, never fished it. Last time I was there - over 4,000 people were in the area. Some kind of a festival or something. Just go during the middle of the week. I think you have to pre-schedule a camp site? Then again am no expert on that area and it has been a while.

Awesomely gorgeous area though.

owenscaddis
Master Guide

Post by owenscaddis »

sent PM

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

I fished it a few years ago after trying a trib that had been stocked with Gila trout. No Gila. I did find a big pod of stockers and caught a ton of them. Not really my thing so I quit after a while
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

http://www.304rodcompany.com

Lupalupa
Guide

Post by Lupalupa »

I like to attempt to catch a native trout in any state that I visit if possible of course. I both went to college in Arizona (pre-fishing days), and travel semi-regularly on business as my boss and a key employee are located in Arizona. I have never pulled the trigger as I was concerned of scenes like this. I am well familiar with Oak Creek, but more from mountain biking in Arizona and "Cosmic Ray" extra credit for those who can pick up the reference.

I know a trip to Arizona will be coming up in the future, and I can potentially plan it to match good fishing, would someone mind sending me a PM for a trusted guide who can help me? Flying in for a business trip and not worrying about gear and rental cars is more than worth it for me. Wild, with a strong strong preference for native.

TXTrout
Master Guide

Post by TXTrout »

I was in Scottsdale years ago on a project and would go fly fishing on weekends. Oak Creek is in a pretty area, but about all I ever found were stockers and lots of people. There are wild browns. It is a small creek, I think I used a 7'6" 4 wt 3pc. I found the winter fishing was better, fewer people than summer and no people swimming in the creek...I still think it's work going there to see the Sedona area. I'm guessing there are still a bunch of modern hippies there.

If you are up to it, you might consider expanding your fishing into the Mogollan Rim or even go NE into the White Mountains. Is been 20 years+, so have forgotten a lot. There are some just flat out beautiful areas in the Mogollan Rim, but very small water, and you have to be able to hike. Not like OC where it's 100ft of flat ground from parking lot to water.

It really just depends on what you want and what time you have to dedicate.

If either of you want it, shoot me a PM, I have a fly fishing AZ guide book I can send you to look through. It has maps, etc.

Best of luck in your adventures!

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

lestrout1
Guide

Post by lestrout1 »

Yo Dro - I visited Oak Creek one summer, and while standing on the interesting rock in the slides area, I saw small trouts rising to Tricos right by my feet. They were not bothered by screaming kids sliding by inches away. If I'd had a Trike and a tippet spool, I could have dapped them up.

bamboo slinger
Sport

Post by bamboo slinger »

This is where you want to fish here in AZ. Tim Steffen working on his retiremernt!

hidy733
Sport

Post by hidy733 »

Is Lee's Ferry still a worthwhile destination?

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

My wife and I visited Sedona a few years ago about this time of year. Oak creek was running low, but fishable in areas. The most fish were found around the hatchery...no surprise. Beautiful area, but not exactly a trophy fishery.

Scott Z.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

bamboo slinger
Sport

Post by bamboo slinger »

There are some nice fish in the Ferry. They don't want Browns in the Colorado, so they actually have a bounty on them! Think about $35 if you turn one in. Food for fish has been good. Water level in Lake Powell was so low the water warmed down river, so bass and warm water fish were turning up. Bad news was /is the large numbers of kayaks. Rubber boat hatch way out of control. Steffen and I counted over a hundred one weekend. The guides setup their boats to haul them up to the dam and are making big $$. Easy money, just drop them off and no worries the rest of the day. Weekdays are the time to fish. Just so cold in the canyon this time of year. Besides, my boat is stuck behind 5' of snow, not sure I can get her out for a while.

Horton Creek
Guide

Post by Horton Creek »

Park at call of the canyon parking lot. The last area heading north towards Flagstaff. Fish this area up and down stream for stockers. Then if you are willing to walk a bit head downstream and take the west fork of oak creek canyon trail. In June you can wet wade no problem. Fish the little pools and pockets in between the slick rock runs. Not big fish...like 4 to 8 inches, not a lot of fish, but the hike alone into this slot canyon is gorgeous and will take you away from crowds. A 3wt rod and para adams or caddis is all you need. No guide needed. The hike up west fork is worth it even without fly fishing.

If you have time Fish the mogollon rim and or Lee's Ferry as others have suggested.
Horton Creek

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”