Special Fly Boxes

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

carl otto
Master Guide

Special Fly Boxes

Post by carl otto »

Just coming off the bench some special fly boxes:

These two boxes are made out of reclaimed old growth White Cedar salvaged from George Griffith's Barbless Hook property on Michigan's Au Sable River. George and 15 others met at the Barbless Hook in July of 1959 and decided to start a cold water conservation organization called, Trout Unlimited. This cedar tree these came from must have been about 800 years old. The growth rings are about 40-50 per inch and the tree was over 36 inches in diameter. It was a stump left by the early loggers which had fallen over into the river, thus saving it from rotting.

The Founders box has an original bronze TU pin George gave me inlaid into the top and I used part of one of George's broken bamboo rods as the thumb catch. Dividers inside are Cherry. Rare earth magnetic catches and hand made Ironwood hinges with bronze bearing pins.

The Grayling box has a hand painted Grayling inlaid into the top, Koa thumb catch. (Hopefully in about two years there will be Grayling once again in some Michigan rivers.)

Both boxes are going to the Schrems West Michigan TU banquet in a couple weeks as donations, as George would have wanted.

As a teaser there are two other boxes, one in extremely curly Koa and the other Quilted Maple. Heading out as orders.

Best,

Carl @ Wanigas Rod Company

George Carson
Sport

Re: Special Fly Boxes

Post by George Carson »

What do these look like on the inside Carl?

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

George Carson wrote:
01/04/23 14:43
What do these look like on the inside Carl?
Also, Dimensions? :)

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

My basic box fits a large C & F slit foam liner (90mm X 180mm X 30mm). So fits comfortably into a normal fly vest pocket. I can make them any size one wants. Some people want them thinner (3/4") and others thicker. Some to fit a small C & F liner, others have asked for boxes to replicate older wood Hardy boxes. Some people want a thin, double liner box for nymphs and others want a thick box for large dry flies. The basic inside is a 12 compartment Spanish Cedar egg crate. The inside is the same wood as the outside.

I also can supply a black velvet inside bottom with the egg crate and it makes a great small jewelry box. I have done some for special reels and fly collections too.

Carl

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

Really creative thumb latches Carl on those two cedar boxes!! Thanks, Jed
Fefferfly

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Boy howdy - it would be easy to get to bidding on those at the next T/U auction.
Both the Koa and Maple are just lovely.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

You either like cane fly rods - or you don't.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”